Commentary on Rule IV for Disciples and Initiates
Rule IV in its Entirety
For Disciples and Initiates: Let the group see that all the eighteen fires die down and that the lesser lives return unto the reservoir of life. This they must bring about through the evocation of the Will. The lesser wheels must not for aye revolve in time and space. Only the greater Wheel must onward move and turn. (R&I 96)
Introductory Remarks to Rule IV
A. Paragraph 1
1. At the time of the June Full Moon, each year, the love of God, the spiritual essence of solar fire, reaches its highest point of expression. Why is this to be the case? (cf. RI p. 88)
2. The Hierarchy has ever been the custodian of the principle of light, of enlightened love. (cf. RI p. 88)
3. At the time of the June Full Moon, each year, the Hierarchy focusses its attention upon the race of men when the spiritual influence is at its height. Why is this to be the case? (cf. RI p. 88)
4. At the Full Moon of June of 1943 the outpouring of divine love reached its highest expression for all time. (cf. RI p. 88)
5. At the Full Moon of June of 1943 the Christ reached His highest point of attainment. (cf. RI p. 88)
6. In the sign of Gemini the complete victory of life over form, and of spirit over matter, is consummated and celebrated. (cf. RI p. 89)
At the time of the June Full Moon, each year, the love of God, the spiritual essence of solar fire, reaches its highest point of expression. This it achieves through the instrumentality of the Hierarchy, that great group of souls which has ever been the custodian of the principle of light, of enlightened love, and which always—down the ages—focusses its attention upon the race of men when the spiritual influence is at its height. This it does through one of the great Sons of God. The Full Moon of June of 1943 saw this outpouring of divine love reach its highest expression for all time, and at the point of attainment which is, for that particular Son of God, His highest also. Such is the Law. When an embodied Christ in time and space reaches [Page 89] His goal of achievement, recognition of this comes to Him at the time of the June Full Moon, for in that sign of Gemini the complete victory of life over form, and of spirit over matter, is consummated and celebrated.
1. This statement about the strength of the love energy reaching its highest point of expression at the June Full Moon is perhaps surprising, as there are other signs of zodiac more conventionally associated with love. Gemini, in fact, is traditionally associated with knowledge and mind.
2. But if seek the ray that is expressed through Gemini, we find it is the second Ray of Love-Wisdom. Further, Gemini is a great relating agent, uniting all the zodiacal opposites with each other (except for itself and Sagittarius, which are united by Pisces). Further, Gemini is a dual sign related to the expression of the dual energies of our Solar Logos—namely, Love and Wisdom.
3. What may be the “spiritual essence of solar fire”? At our stage of evolution, we cannot know exactly. We are told it is the “love of God”. Is this essence zodiacally monadic in some respect? Every sign of the zodiac has a monad, soul and personality, just as has any other self-conscious entity. The rays expressing through a zodiacal constellation may change with various periods and world cycles, but probably one ray, a primary ray, remains constant. Is the second ray of Love-Wisdom the primary ray of the constellational Being we call Gemini?
4. Expression of this high form of love comes “through the instrumentality of the Hierarchy”. It appears that at the Gemini Full Moon (down the ages), the Hierarchy has always focussed its attention on humanity. We see, then, that this festival, now called the “Festival of the Christ” was not always the festival of this Christ (our Christ, the Lord Maitreya). Probably there was always some World Teacher on the second ray Who expressed the Love-Wisdom energy at this time, but only recently the Christ (with the cooperation of this Buddha). At one point He Whom we call the Buddha was the primary agent of expression for He was the head of the Spiritual Hierarchy.
5. Note that the Hierarchy is the custodian, not just of love but of enlightened love. This is important, as it links light to love and head to heart.
6. It would be interesting to know Who have been the “Great Sons of God” Who have led the Hierarchy down the ages, what qualities They have displayed, and what developments in and through humanity occurred during Their tenure in office. The most recent, of course, is the Lord Maitreya, Him Whom we call the Christ. The Lord Buddha preceded Him. The next such figure will be the Master K.H., probably after the Aquarian Age.
7. A fascinating and enigmatical statement is made:
“The Full Moon of June of 1943 saw this outpouring of divine love reach its highest expression for all time, and at the point of attainment which is, for that particular Son of God, His highest also.”
The phrase “for all time” is puzzling. Is it an outpouring of divine love upon humanity and the Earth which, for the Christ, was the highest expression for all time? Yet the Christ will be the presiding Master during the Aquarian Age, and will His outpouring of love as expressed in 1943 not be equaled by His outpouring at various points during the Aquarian Age? Or will that outpouring during the Aquarian Age be tinged by other energies—for instance, the energy of the will, and thus not be an outpouring of pure “divine love”?
8. If the quotation does not refer to the Christ, then it is ever more puzzling, because “for all time” is a long time, to say the least! One cannot imagine the expression of love having reached its apotheosis with respect to the Earth or the wider system, for Love-Wisdom must intensify in expression on this planet as our planet’s second ray soul emerges.
9. It is probable that this quotation is referring to an important step in the seventh initiation process presently being undergone by the Christ. It is probable that this initiation process is not yet completed, and, therefore, was not completed in 1943, but that a mile-stone in the process was reached.
10. We realize that by that time, June 1943, the Forces of Darkness and Materialism has been inwardly defeated, and a new outpouring of love upon the Earth was possible. Perhaps that outpouring of divine love was the highest for “all time” leading up to that point.
11. So has the Christ already reached His “goal of achievement”? Is He not still in the process of undergoing the seventh initiation?
12. We are told that “the sixth initiation marks the point of attainment of the Christ,…” (IHS 17) We also read, “The clue to the seventh initiation which lies ahead for such high Beings as the Christ would be of no service to you at all.” (R&I 44) Further, the following: “That will be heard when the Christ completes His work at the time of the Second Coming. Then the great seventh initiation, which is a dual one (love-wisdom in full manifestation motivated by power and will), will be consummated, and the Buddha and the Christ will together pass before the Lord of the World, together see the glory of the Lord, and together pass to higher service of a nature and calibre unknown to us.” (R&I 83-84) Through these and other references, we come to understand that the Christ has not yet fully taken the seventh initiation, and will do so after His work during the Aquarian Age is completed.
13. Therefore it is to be questioned whether the June Full Moon of 1943 could, possibly, have indicated the seventh initiation for the Christ—for it is a Love-Wisdom initiation? Or whether, more probably, an important stage in that initiatory process.
14. It does not seem as if some other Son of God could have reached the seventh degree at that Full Moon, for the Christ is the presently presiding Son of God with respect to our Spiritual Hierarchy, and even the present Manu and Mahachohan (with the Christ, the two other “Three Great Lords”) are initiates of the sixth degree, not the seventh.
15. Probably there will be a June Full Moon in the future, at which the fulness of the seventh degree will be reached by our present Christ and perhaps by our Buddha as well (though He is naturally far more identified with Wesak).
16. Yet, at the Gemini Full Moon, both the Christ and the Buddha are active in Their various ways, and so it is not out of keeping to expect a climactic seventh degree point for them both at the Gemini Full Moon at some future date far ahead.
17. What does the term, “Second Coming”, mean as presented here? It cannot mean the first appearance of the Reappearing Christ, for there would have been no time for Him to complete His work. Rather, it may mean that His quality has permeated (or come into) humanity to the degree that He intends, and, thus, that His work will be complete at that point—at least with respect to humanity and the Aquarian Age.
18. In truth, studies concerning the seventh initiation in relation to the Christ present apparently contradictory statements. In one respect it would appear that the Christ has had the experience of the seventh initiation. In another respect, it would seem that He could not possibly have completed it.
19. Perhaps a study of Christ’s achievements on different planes will hold the key to this riddle. What may be accomplished inwardly, may take a long time (thousands of years in this case) to work out.
20. About the seventh initiation we can only speculate. If its fulness lies ahead for such great Beings as the Christ, what can we really know about it? However, we can reason and attempt to keep things in proportion. The Tibetan would not have presented this material if it were not valuable to consider it. Probably it goes towards the completion of our understanding of the initiation process. It may also prevent us from falling victim to spiritual inflation, which seems to seize so many as they begin thinking about this subject (especially in relation to themselves).
B. Paragraph 2
1. The love of God, focussed in the Christ, seeks to express itself in some act of peculiarly useful service to humanity. (cf. RI p. 89)
2. Christ in His capacity of the God-Saviour, is sacrificing Himself through pure love for His fellowmen. (cf. RI p. 89)
3. The saving principle of pure love finds its expression at the hour of humanity's greatest need in the work of a World Saviour and "for the salvation of His people, He comes forth." (cf. RI p. 89)
4. The task of the Christ (as the expression in time and space of the second divine aspect) is to establish relationships. (cf. RI p. 89)
5. Every cyclic Representative of Deity furthers the approach of the Hierarchy to mankind. (cf. RI p. 89)
The love of God, focussed in the Christ, seeks to express itself in some act of peculiarly useful service to humanity. This service has taken different forms down through the ages, but it has always expressed itself through two episodes: One of them, the first, reveals the Christ in His capacity of the God-Saviour, sacrificing Himself through pure love for His fellowmen. The annals of the Hierarchy contain many such histories of sacrifice and service, dating far back into the very night of time. The saving principle of pure love finds its expression at the hour of humanity's greatest need in the work of a World Saviour and "for the salvation of His people, He comes forth." He thus meets the need, and at the same time strengthens the link which relates the Hierarchy to Humanity. The task of the Christ (as the expression in time and space of the second divine aspect) is to establish relationships. Every cyclic Representative of Deity furthers the approach of the Hierarchy to mankind, and seals this service by some final act which becomes the historical nucleus whereby later generations remember Him.
1. The love of God always seeks to work out in loving acts. The various initiations see different degrees of love expressing in relation to the welfare of humanity. There are constantly ascending degrees of love. Of the highest forms expressed at the very highest initiations, we can have no notion.
2. The love of God expresses itself in two types of episodes.
3. The first type of episode (relevant to all Christs, not just our own) sees the Christ expressing himself sacrificially as the “God-Saviour”.
4. Many are the stories of this kind of saviorship (the Tibetan tells us), and they date back into the “night of time” (presumably for millions of years).
5. Humanity’s great need evokes great love, which always comes when the need is the greatest. And it is “pure love” by means of which salvation comes.
6. As the need is met through pure love, the link between humanity and Hierarchy is strengthened. Here we may see the activity of the energy of the linking sign/constellation Gemini creating the necessary link between that which is ‘above’ and that which lies ‘below’.
7. It is through the mediation of these world-saviours that Hierarchy and humanity steadily approach each other. Presumably, Hierarchy is now closer to humanity than it has ever been. Does this statement surprise us, knowing what we do of the “God-Kings” who walked the Earth with infant humanity. The answer may be as follows; Hierarchy may have been physically close in ancient days, but the consciousness of humanity was not such that Hierarchy could have been psychologically or mentally close.
8. The service to humanity of a world saviour must be sealed by a symbolical enactment. Usually this will occur at the fourth initiation, and hence the drama of the enactment, for the fourth ray is the ray of dramatic expression, involving as it does the many pairs of opposites and the great contrasts of opposing energies.
9. These sacrificial enactments are remembered by the humanity to and for whom they were offered, and perhaps for some centuries or millennia to come, but then fade away in the memory of the race and have to be re-enacted in a new way by yet another sacrificing Son of God, yet another World Saviour, Self-assigned a saving task appropriate to the Divine Plan for that period of humanity’s development.
10. Each of us, on our own tiny scale, will have to offer our ‘dramatic enactment’ in a culminating life of service (and thus of saviourship) to humanity. Much will depend upon our ray, for some offerings may not be as noticeable as others. The silent sacrifice is, of course, no less real, and can be equally potent as the one noticed by all. A great yogi in a cave (unseen by the world) may be living a life of total renunciation which is extraordinarily uplifting to a humanity who cannot realize the source of the subtle beneficence.
11. The day will come with a saving group will offer its culminating sacrifice to humanity. This they will do when the “point of tension is reached by the brothers at the fourth great cycle of attainment” (Rule XII). Perhaps we can look for such group-saviours and group-sacrifices as the Aquarian Age progresses. There have always been group sacrifices. War itself can be seen in this light. But conscious group sacrifice by conscious initiates of the fourth degree is more of thing of the future than the past (at least with respect to our Earth-chain and globe).
C. Paragraph 3
1. The Christ’s second opportunity comes, when as Representative both of Humanity and the Hierarchy, He can relate them both to Shamballa. (cf. RI p. 89)
2. The major linking agent in the universe is the energy of Love-Wisdom. Love relates the Hierarchy to Humanity, and Wisdom relates the Hierarchy to Shamballa. (cf. RI p. 89)
3. Only when Humanity and the Hierarchy are working together in a practical synthesis, can the Shamballa energy be permitted complete inflow through the medium of the two other centres. (cf. RI p. 89)
That accomplished, He stays with His people as Head of the Hierarchy until His second opportunity comes, in which as Representative both of Humanity and the Hierarchy, He can relate them both to Shamballa. This He does through a great act of evocation, seeking to bring about a closer relationship between all the three great planetary centres: Shamballa, the Hierarchy, and Humanity. He can do this because the development of the Wisdom aspect in His nature makes it possible. The major linking agent in the universe is the energy of Love-Wisdom. Love relates the Hierarchy to Humanity, and Wisdom relates the Hierarchy to Shamballa. Only when Humanity and the Hierarchy are working together in a practical synthesis, can the Shamballa energy be permitted complete inflow through the medium of the two other centres.
1. The generic progress of “World Saviours” is being discussed—the two phases of Their work: the first phase relating humanity to Hierarchy and the second phase relating both humanity and Hierarchy to Shamballa.
2. Our Christ has now reached the point in His development at which He is prepared for the second phase of His saviourship.
3. He is, then, according to this instruction, preparing for a great “act of evocation” which will relate still more closely, humanity, Hierarchy and Shamballa.
4. Why can He do this? Because the development of the “Wisdom aspect” makes it possible. Wisdom, in this respect, emanates from Shamballa. The Buddha, “the Lord of Wisdom” and “the Lord of Light” comes forth from Shamballa annually in full cooperation with the Christ (notably at the time of Wesak and differently at the Festival of the Christ—the Gemini Full Moon).
5. The Christ’s long association with the Buddha has certainly strengthened the Wisdom aspect within His (the Christ’s) nature, and also His connection to Shamballa.
6. A foundational statement is now made:
“The major linking agent in the universe is the energy of Love-Wisdom. Love relates the Hierarchy to Humanity, and Wisdom relates the Hierarchy to Shamballa”.
Note that is it not only love which is the link. Wisdom must be included. And so it is that both the Christ and the Buddha (one representing love and the other wisdom) are necessary to bring humanity into its growing relationship with Shamballa.
7. The relationship of Gemini to the process is evident. Gemini is a sign of Love-Wisdom. Gemini is related to all antahkaranas (at least in our local cosmos). Gemini is ruled by both Mercury and Venus (the first represented the Christ as “love-wisdom” and the second representing the Buddha as “mind-wisdom”). These two planets will have to be powerfully invoked during the Aquarian Age in order to accomplish the intended alignments and links.
8. We see that we need to bring humanity and Hierarchy into a “practical synthesis”. This would be the state of soul infusion. Only when this is accomplished can the necessary infusion of Shamballic energy be permitted. As it is in the microcosm, so it is in the macrocosm.
9. Therefore, our first order of business is to relate soul and personality effectively—in the individual, group and planetary sense. Then Shamballic energy can have freer sway.
D. Paragraph 4
1. The work of the Christ as God-Saviour can be carried forward by Him alone and unaided. The work of the Christ as God the Preserver needs the united work, as yet, of the two highest Representatives of the second divine aspect when present together upon the Earth, as is the case today of both the Buddha and the Christ. (cf. RI p. 90)
2. The time has now been reached when Shamballa can be contacted and its energy evoked. (cf. RI p. 90)
3. The united activity of the Buddha and the Christ serves to bring about a much closer approach between the Lord of the World and the Hierarchy, via His four Representatives: the Buddha, the Christ, the Manu, and the Mahachohan. (cf. RI p. 90)
4. The Lord of the World, the Buddha, the Christ, the Manu, and the Mahachohan, together represent the five points of energy which are creating the five-pointed star of Humanity at this time. (cf. RI p. 90)
To aid in this process of gradual perfecting and an eventual bringing about of a complete alignment, the help of the Buddha must be invoked and accepted. The work of the Christ as God-Saviour can be carried forward by Him alone and unaided. The work of the Christ as God the Preserver needs the united work, as yet, of the two highest Representatives of the second divine aspect when present together upon the Earth, as is the case today of both the Buddha and the Christ. This is the first cycle in the history of humanity when this has been the case. One or the other has been present down the ages, but not the two simultaneously. The reason for this is that the time has now been reached when Shamballa can be contacted and its energy evoked. Hence we have the activity of the Buddha at the May Full Moon and that of the Christ at the following June Full Moon. Their united activity serves to bring about a much closer approach between the Lord of the World and the Hierarchy, via His four Representatives: the Buddha, the Christ, the Manu, and the Mahachohan—the five points of energy which are creating the five-pointed star of Humanity at this time.
1. There is a difference between “God the Saviour” and “God the Preserver”—the second state being in advance of the first.
2. We note that the cooperation of the Buddha is required if the Christ is to become a channel for the energy of “God the Preserver”. We are told that this cooperation has long been in effect and today, following the linking of the Avatar of Synthesis with our Planetary Logos, a Triangle of Energies surrounds and supports the Christ: the Avatar of Synthesis, the Spirit of Peace and the Buddha.
3. The Tibetan tells us that we are living through a unique period of history with respect to the presence of the Christ and the Buddha, for the two highest representatives of the second aspect are “present together upon the Earth”.
4. What may this mean? What does the term “Earth” mean in this context, for we are told that the Christ has never left us, and the Buddha has, reportedly, taken at least one incarnation since He entered Nirvana some 2500 years ago.
5. Can the term “Earth” mean the actual physical plane, or the etheric-physical plane? Perhaps these two great Beings have not, during the past two thousand years, both had etheric bodies at the same time.
6. But today, the Buddha is ‘in’ Shamballa, and Shamballa, we are told, has an etheric expression in the second systemic ether (not only upon the cosmic ethers of the cosmic physical plane). The Christ has a physical body we are told, and therefore, He will have an etheric body as well.
7. We probably cannot know the true meaning of this simple idea that both the Christ and the Buddha will be present “upon the Earth” simultaneously. We would have to know their etheric-physical history during the past 2500 years, and we do not. It would seem that “Earth” cannot mean only the outer physical plane. The idea, however, is simple enough and can be meaningful just as the Tibetan states it if we think that both the Christ and the Buddha will be focussing streams of energy strongly upon the etheric-physical plane during the Aquarian Age (and, doubtlessly, upon many higher planes from which the energy will make its way to the outer planes).
8. One day we may know where one of Them ‘goes’ (or has gone) when the other is present on the outer planes of Earth and vise versa.
9. We do not expect the ‘Reappearance of the Buddha’ in physical form, so the etheric level must be important in interpreting the idea of Their presence ‘on’ Earth.
10. The Christ and Buddha are?/will be? present together “upon the Earth” because contact with Shamballa is now possible for humanity and imminent. Both great Teachers are needed if this contact is to be accomplished.
11. The two great Teachers also intensify the relationship between Hierarchy and Shamballa. Because of the united action of the Christ and the Buddha the Lord of the World may more closely approach Hierarchy.
12. An interesting five-pointed star is discussed—the five-pointed “Star of Humanity”. It includes the Lord of the World, the Buddha, the Christ, the Manu and the Mahachohan.
13. We can reasonably visualize Sanat Kumara at the apex. The Buddha and the Christ would be on the transverse arm with the Buddha on the left (as we face the star) the Christ on the left. On the star-point beneath the Buddha, the Manu would be found. On the point beneath the Christ, the Mahachohan.
14. Via the instrumentality of this star, the “Highest and the Lowest” can meet, and the Will of Sanat Kumara can be lovingly, wisely and intelligently worked out through the prepared forms of the human race.
15. Another way to visualize these five is with Sanat Kumara at an elevated point connecting to a lower triangle via an intermediating Buddha. The lower triangle would consist of the Christ at the apex with the Manu on the left point of the base line (as we face the star) and the Mahachohan on the right point.
16. Through the instrumentality of these five beings, humanity will be saved and the planet transformed—elevated towards its eventual “sacred” status.
E. Paragraph 5
1. Rule IV for Applicants gives in perfect wording the nature of the urge which prompts the present activity of the Christ as God the Saviour. (cf. RI p. 90)
An ancient rule—Rule IV for Applicants gives us in perfect wording the nature of the urge which prompts the present activity of the Christ. He has accomplished His task as God the Saviour. The fourth Rule, as it is given to all applicants and probationary disciples, gives His work the following definition:
Let the disciple tend the evocation of the fire, nourish the lesser lives and thus keep the wheel revolving.
It is given in this short form to all who are approaching the Path, in order to convey to them with the utmost brevity and beauty the nature of the life of the Head of the Hierarchy, the Initiator Whom they must face at the time of the first and second initiations, and upon Whose activities they—as individual aspirants—must learn to model their lives. Only today is it possible to present that work in other terms than those which emphasise the part the Christ plays in the salvaging of man.
1. One wonders, how ancient is the ancient Rule? Are these Atlantean Rules or did they originate in the Aryan Age (i.e., during the fifth rootrace)?
2. Reason tells us that the period of the fifth rootrace is a good possibility as, in these Rules, states of group initiatory development are described which are in advance of the initiatory possibilities of the Atlantean rootrace.
3. Of course, the Rules could have originated in Shamballa in a prognosticative form. They could have been Rules foretelling later initiatory developments within humanity, even if such developments were not possible at the time of the origin of the Rules.
4. Or the Rules could be relatively timeless, and apply to all individual and group development on all planets. They could have been brought to his planet and planetary chain when Sanat Kumara and His Kumaric Host arrived and established Hierarchy and Shamballa (on Earth). On the planetary-scheme level there was surely a Hierarchy and Shamballa long before such a group existed on our little physical planet.
5. The Rule for Applicants,
“Let the disciple tend the evocation of the fire, nourish the lesser lives and thus keep the wheel revolving”
is given, and has been somewhat elucidated in the previous commentary.
6. Interestingly, the Tibetan tells us that this brief and beautiful form of the Rule reveals the nature of the life of the Head of the Hierarchy—the Christ. In a way, this is an enigmatical statement.
7. Perhaps the disciple is to tend the evocation of the ‘Christ-fire’ which both purifies and nourishes the lesser lives of the three lower vehicles. The Christ-energy is a kind of ‘fiery nourishment’ to the imprisoned lives and the imprisoned human consciousness.
8. Just as the Christ salvages humanity, the nourishing ‘Christ-fire’ salvages the tiny lives (the tiny wheels) which revolve within the energy system of man.
9. The nourishing fire is a preserver and reflects the role of Christ as the channel for the energy of “God the Preserver”.
10. We have to realize that it is the presence of Christ (or the soul aspect) which keeps the human being and humanity spiritually alive. Without the sustenance of that energy we ‘die’—at least, spiritually. The soul aspect, however, keeps even the personal part of man in incarnation, sustaining it whether or not it has been enlightened by the Christ-energy.
F. Paragraph 6
1. Man's sense of proportion, his recognition of others, his growing sense of responsibility, his power to suffer for the good, the beautiful and true, his appropriation of the vision, and his point in evolution warrant a truer picture which—if adequately grasped—will enable the disciple to comprehend the requirements of Rule IV as given for disciples and initiates. (cf. RI p. 91)
2. Only as the disciple grasps the nature of the work of Christ, after His final act of service as God-Saviour, he can understand the nature of group service and begin to pattern his life and nature so as to meet similar requirements in group formation. (cf. RI p. 91)
It is now possible, however, to present His true and wider task, because man's sense of proportion, his recognition of others, his growing sense of responsibility, his power to suffer for the good, the beautiful and true, his appropriation of the vision, and his point in evolution warrant a truer picture which—if adequately grasped—will enable the disciple to comprehend the requirements of Rule IV as given for disciples and initiates. Only as they grasp the nature of the work of Christ, after His final act of service as God-Saviour, can they understand the nature of group service and begin to pattern their lives and natures so as to meet similar requirements in group formation.
1. Christ has a wider (and truer) task than that of World Saviour—namely that of World Preserver. Man has reached sufficient maturity for this task to be more widely understood.
2. The Tibetan lists the reasons why man can now appreciate a truer vision of Christ’s wider and truer role. A sense of proportion, a wider recognition of others, a growing sense of responsibility, the power to suffer for ideals, a wider vision and man’s point of evolution all contribute to the possibility that he can now appreciate a truer vision of the Christ and His work.
3. There is a sequence necessitated. First Christ as representative of “God the Saviour” has to be understood. To understand the Christ as He serves (and preserves) the group is a later phase of understanding.
4. We are going to see the advent of a ‘new Christ’, and both He and His role will have to be reinterpreted for the many who still conceive of Him in strictly the old way.
5. In the study of the new role of the Christ will come a deeper understanding of group service as it will be presented during the Aquarian Age, and as it is presented in the Fourteen Rules for Disciples and Initiates.
G. Paragraph 7
1. The Hierarchy itself is part of the evolutionary process: The attitude and position of the members of the Hierarchy are not static. All are moving forward. (cf. RI p. 91)
2. The Christ Who came two thousand years ago embodied in Himself not only the principle of love in the planetary sense, but a cosmic principle of love also, and this for the first time in human history. (cf. RI p. 91)
3. The future progress of humanity is also aided and hastened because of the attainment and activity of the Christ, and because He remains with us as God the Preserver. (cf. RI p. 91)
This has become possible because of the point in the evolutionary process which the Hierarchy has attained. The attitude and position of the members of the Hierarchy are not static. All are moving forward. The Christ Who came two thousand years ago embodied in Himself not only the principle of love in the planetary sense (a thing which Shri Krishna had achieved), but a cosmic principle of love also, and this for the first time in human history. His achievement was made possible by the fact that the human family had reached a point at which it could produce the perfect Man, Christ, the "eldest in a great family of brothers," a Son of God, the Word made flesh. The future progress of humanity is also aided and hastened because of the attainment and activity of the Christ, and because He remains with us as God the Preserver.
1. We are presented with a vision of Hierarchy as a progressive group of servers. A great evolutionary principle is enunciated: “All are moving forward”.
2. The Christ of two thousand years ago both was and was not the Christ as
. Though He was the same monad/soul, He had progressed beyond the expression of the principle of love in the planetary sense (which He expressed as
Krishna)to an expression of love as a cosmic principle.
3. We should note that although there have been many World Saviours, none of Them, before that time, had succeeded in expressing love as a cosmic principle. For that matter, the Buddha’s expression of wisdom pervaded by a touch of the cosmic mental plane was, it would seem, also a first, or at least, an extremely “rare occurrence” in the history of our planet. Both the Buddha and the Christ are referred to as “cosmic Avatars”. (EPII 278)
4. It was the evolution of humanity as a group that made possible the appearance of a Christ as He demonstrated some two thousand years ago, as the “Word made Flesh”, expressive of love as a cosmic principle.
5. Christ as “God the Saviour” appeared but briefly; His public ministry lasted only three years.. The Coming Christ, as “God the Preserver” has remained with us and will remain with us as He demonstrates even more fully this second of His roles—the one relating specifically to Rule IV.
H. Paragraph 8
1. The Christ’s task today is threefold: He "tends the evocation of the fire." He "nourishes the lesser lives." He "keeps the wheel revolving." (cf. RI p. 91-92)
2. The Christ’s major task as Head of the Hierarchy is to evoke the electric fire of Shamballa, the energy of the divine Will, and this in such a form that the Hierarchy can be drawn nearer to the source of Life, and Humanity can consequently profit by this hierarchical Approach and know eventually the meaning of the words "life more abundantly." (cf. RI p. 91)
3. The Christ has twice symbolically shown His individual response to the Shamballa energy: Once in the
Temple ofs a child, and again in the Garden as a full grown man at the close of His earthly career. (cf. RI p. 92) Jerusalem a
4. The Christ’s third and final response covers nine years, from the Full Moon of June, 1936, to the Full Moon of June, 1945. This period, in reality, constitutes one event to Him Who lives now free in His Own world and free from the limitations of time and space. (cf. RI p. 92)
5. Having related Humanity to the Hierarchy (which in the case of individual man means relating the personality to the soul), the Christ now seeks to relate more closely, with the aid of the Buddha, the Hierarchy to Shamballa, love to will, electric fire to solar fire. (cf. RI p. 92)
His task today is threefold, and the Rule states in very simple language these three aspects of His divine activity or phases of His work. These are:
1. He "tends the evocation of the fire." His major task as Head of the Hierarchy is to evoke the electric fire of Shamballa, the energy of the divine Will, and this in such a form that the Hierarchy can be drawn nearer to the source of Life, and Humanity can consequently profit by this hierarchical Approach and know eventually the meaning of the words "life more abundantly." Christ's evocation of the fire of the will was initiated symbolically in the Garden of [Page 92]
. He has twice symbolically shown His individual response to the Shamballa energy: Once in the
as a child, and again in the Garden as a full grown man at the close of His earthly career. His third and final response (which climaxes His work from our human angle) covers nine years, from the Full Moon of June, 1936, to the Full Moon of June, 1945. This period, in reality, constitutes one event to Him Who lives now free in His Own world and free from the limitations of time and space. Having related Humanity to the Hierarchy (which in the case of individual man means relating the personality to the soul), He now seeks to relate more closely, with the aid of the Buddha, the Hierarchy to Shamballa, love to will, electric fire to solar fire. Templeof Jerusalem
1. In this and the immediately following sections, we are interpreting Rule IV for Applicants in higher terms relating to the Christ and His tasks.
2. When Christ “tends the evocation of the fire”, that fire is the “electric fire of Shamballa”, tended, in a way, for Hierarchy.. When studying Rule IV for the individual disciple, one can view the term “evocation” as referring to both higher fires (soul fires, for instance) and lower, sustaining fires (pranic fires, for instance).
3. In this section about the work of the Christ, the fire evoked is definitely the higher fire.
4. The fire of Shamballa which Christ evokes (through invocation) must be in a particular “form” from which the Hierarchy as a whole can benefit. Hierarchy could not profit from each and every form of electric fire, but only that form which is especially adapted to Their needs.
5. The particular form of electric fire which the Christ in a sense mediates to Hierarchy is that which embodies the energy of “life more abundantly”. A little thought about this phrase will reveal that it has a somewhat second ray quality.
6. We are reminded of the importance of Christ’s episode in the
Garden o fn the matter of evoking the Divine Will. Note, however, that we are told that it was “initiated symbolically” in that episode. This means that the episode in the Garden was, in part, a memorable dramatization for the purpose of focussing human understanding upon the Divine Will. The Christ had certainly been in contact with His “Father in Heaven” long before that, as even the early episode in the Temple (at which time He was found teaching the elders) demonstrates. Gethsemene i
7. The question must be asked, however, “Was it the Christ in the
or was it Jesus”? From what is given in the teaching, the first association of Maitreya the Christ with the initiate Jesus occurred at the time of the Baptism. If it occurred before (as early as the twelfth year of the Master Jesus) the teaching is silent on that point. We know that the first public association of the Christ with Jesus was at the time of the Baptism, but what earlier, ‘training’ associations might there have been? Temple,
8. It would, of course, not have been beyond the capabilities of the Master Jesus to evoke the Divine Will, for He was an initiate of the third degree even then, but this section of the teaching is certainly focussing on the accomplishments of the Christ, and so we are presented with a problem to be solved. We need to know is what manner, even at an early age, the Initiate Jesus may have been under the influence of the Christ, or may have voluntarily or involuntarily stepped aside for the entry of the Christ presence and consciousness (in an early act of divine mediumship, perhaps).
9. A third evocation by Christ of the fire of Shamballic Will was in process during the writing of the material which became The Rays and the Initiations. The duration of this evocation was nine years, from 1936 to 1945—interestingly, the years during which the three Great Invocations (really, three stanzas of one Invocation) were given to humanity.
10. It was probably a period of very significant decision including a decision relating to the degree of His intended materialization or precipitation during the Aquarian Age. Perhaps it was at that time that He decided to appear in a “physical materialization” (i.e., in a physical body) before the eyes of men.
11. For Beings of greater consciousness than our own, what to us would be an extended period of time can appear to them as “one event”. The extended scope of Their consciousness makes this possible.
12. We note that at that time (and this) the Christ lived “free in His own world and free from the limitations of time and space”. That world now begins to include the seventh or logoic plane. We can understand how a consciousness focussed on that level would be free of what we usually call time and space. Even upon the higher mental plane there are significant modifications in the perception of time and space. As time and space are fundamentally perceptions, we can speak of degrees of freedom from customary perceptions, or of modifications of those perceptions which alter the view of the perceiver to what are usually called time and space.
13. Surely a great Being such as the Christ “lives in the eternal” (the Eternal Now) and “knows the self as one”. This realization may be approached by even the initiate of the third degree.
14. At the time of His third and extended approach to the Divine Will (1936-1945) it can be inferred that He linked with the Buddha in a new way and decided with the Buddha upon modes of approach to link Hierarchy more closely with Shamballa.
15. Incidentally, They both ‘fought’ and ‘won’ the Second World War, focussing on an inner and outer victory of humanity over the Black Lodge. It is remarkable to realize how involved (from higher planes) were both the Buddha and the Christ in the traumatic events which engaged humanity during those years. We know that at a certain point the Lords of Liberation were successfully (and most fortunately) evoked, turning the tide of the war towards the success of the Forces of Light. It is hard to imagine that the Christ and the Buddha (lesser Beings relatively than these Lords of Liberation) would not have been in some manner involved in that great “turning of the tide”.
16. From all that we read above, we see that the Christ has been preparing for a new kind of demonstration and appearance—one that is only faintly understood today by a few human beings, but which must become relatively common knowledge among the spiritually inclined during the Aquarian Age.
I. Paragraph 9
1. The task of the Christ as God the Preserver concerns His activity as Initiator and His responsibility as Head of the Hierarchy. (cf. RI p. 92)
2. The nourishing of the little lives refers primarily to the Christ’s task as World Teacher and to His responsibility to lead humanity on into the light, with the aid of all the Masters. (cf. RI p. 92)
2. He "nourishes the lesser lives." This refers to the task of the Christ which proceeds day by day, in His capacity of God the Preserver. He "tends the little ones." The work here referred to concerns His activity as Initiator and His responsibility as Head of the Hierarchy. The nourishing of the little lives refers primarily to His task as World Teacher and to His responsibility to lead humanity on into the light, with the aid of all the Masters, working, each of Them through His Own Ashram.
1. The “lesser lives” are nourished from above, and, as the Tibetan says, “day by day”. It seems that the Christ is profoundly attentive to His task, nourishing in ways we cannot understand those in whom the spiritual impulse is awakening—namely the “little ones”.
2. In His role as representative of “God the Preserver”, what is being preserved? May we say that it is the connection of the lines of communication and flow between the lesser lives and the greater, between the sources of supply and the demand of the lesser lives?
3. Is a “World Teacher” a nourisher? Most definitely, yes, because the higher light conveyed by the Teacher brings new life to those who are in a relatively deprived condition. Perhaps all teachers should ponder on the idea of nourishing with light.
J. Paragraph 10
1. The Christ’s task to keep the wheel revolving has a specific relation to His work as the Word of God, which manifests as the Word made flesh. (cf. RI p. 92)
2. The Christ, the Manu and the Lord of Civilisation represent the three divine Aspects in the Hierarchy. These three, together with the four Lords of Karma, form the seven Who control the whole process of incarnation. (cf. RI p. 92-93)
3. He "keeps the wheel revolving." This has a specific relation to His work as the Word of God, which manifests as the Word made flesh. This refers specifically to the great Wheel of Rebirth whereby, upon that turning wheel, souls are carried down into incarnation and then up and out of the soul's prison; through the turning of the wheel, human beings learn their needed lessons, create cyclically their vehicles of expression (the response apparatus of the soul in the three worlds) and in this way, under soul guidance, and aided by the Hierarchy and its schools of instruction, they arrive at perfection. This entire process is under the control of the Christ, assisted by the Manu and the Lord of Civilisation. These three Great Lords thus represent the three divine Aspects in the Hierarchy; They, with the four Lords of Karma, form the seven Who control the whole [Page 93] process of incarnation. The subject is too vast and intricate to be adequately considered here. The above truth does, however, give us a clue as to why the Christ made no specific reference to the work of incarnation in His spoken utterances whilst on Earth. He was then occupied with His task of World Saviour.
1. How is it that the “Word of God” “made flesh” can promote the right turning of the wheel of rebirth? Perhaps, in response to this Word, right desire is pursued, building in quality and faculty, and strengthening the soul in incarnation so that the next incarnation may be freer and more qualified.
2. We are told that there are seven Who control the process of incarnation: the Christ, the Manu, the Mahachohan and the Four Lords of Karma. We cannot know the intricate manner in which this is done, but we can imagine a balance of incentives, causal quality made available for accomplishment, karmic debts presented for redress and for the building of quality during the process of expiation, all driven (and drawn) by the prompting of the Solar Angels and the members of the Hierarchy, including the seven great lives here mentioned.
3. The “great Wheel of Rebirth” can turn repetitively or with spiral-cyclic motion. In the early days of incarnation, progress was painfully slow and rotary motion may have seemed to rule the day. As the Hierarchy became more powerful and man more responsive, the Wheel turned forward more progressively (more ‘spiral-cyclically’) and the units of humanity rose more rapidly.
4. In all this we realize that the Christ and His Co-Workers are driving human evolution forward. They are the “Word of the Soul” and as humanity strives to receive and sound this Word in its life, it sounds the note of soul more purely and with greater strength.
5. That resounding “Word” is like a great magnet, drawing humanity towards it. Humanity is both driven and drawn by the higher agencies. The great “Wheel” turns with greater rapidity and with greater evolutionary result.
6. The Tibetan presents an interesting idea. He presents the idea that the Christ said practically nothing about the process of reincarnation because He was occupied with His role as World Saviour. The implication is that, had He specifically mentioned and elaborated the process of reincarnation, He would have divided and weakened a needed emphasis on the methods of salvation through service and sacrifice.
7. Perhaps the times were urgent (“cosmic evil” was taking root in the
Roman Empire), and humanity needed to be seized by this sense of urgency in order to overcome certain dangers which were inherent in social/political/psychological conditions. The doctrine of reincarnation can cause a certain relaxation of attitude in those who are insufficiently trained.
K. Paragraph 11
(No excised sentences)
His work as Preserver and as Head of the Hierarchy had not then begun. It was at that time dependent upon the experience in the
Garden o fnd upon the Resurrection initiation. Some day the gold and the silver threads of the Gospel story will be disentangled, and men will know the two interpretations which can be put upon the events and episodes in the career of Jesus the Christ. The underlying true events give us great steps and developments in the work of the Christ as He "enveloped humanity in the mantle of love, grasped the rod of initiation on behalf of His brothers, and faced the Lord of Life Himself, unattended, unafraid and in His Own right." The episodes refer to happenings in the life of Jesus. Gethsemane a
1. It is “God the Preserver”, the Initiator at the first two initiations, Who promotes the turning of the “Great Wheel” and thus, the reincarnational process. The Tibetan seems to be saying that the Christ’s capacity act as “God the Preserver” had not yet reached sufficiency, being dependent upon His acceptance of the Divine Will in the
Garden o fnd “the Resurrection initiation”. Gethsemene a
2. When Master DK speaks here of the “Resurrection”, does He mean the conventional understanding of the Resurrection as an event following the Crucifixion, or the true Resurrection initiation, the seventh, the process of which (according to DK’s account) the Christ began in those days. If He means the seventh initiation, then He is saying that the Christ could not function as “God the Preserver” without contact with the very highest planes of the cosmic physical plane (namely the monadic and logoic planes to which the sixth and seventh initiations give access).
3. The Tibetan points to the difficulty experienced by the average disciple when it comes to determining who (a various times) was active in the Gospel Story. Was it the Christ or what it the Initiate Jesus, or what it, in some way, both?
4. A disentangling of threads is necessary. The gold threads are those which relate to the work of the Christ. The color, gold, relates the Christ to the Solar Logos. The silver threads are those pertaining to the Initiate Jesus, Who was still under the control of the ‘silver’ Moon, having not yet taken the fourth initiation, at which point there is a transition, symbolically, from silver to gold.
5. According to the above account, “events” pertain to the great works of the Christ and “episodes” to “happenings” in the life of the Initiate Jesus. Though today He is called the “Master” Jesus, He was not at that time a Master.
6. An “event” has planetary significance and an abiding influence on human affairs. An “episode” is a happening which occurs more within the personal/individual sphere. Through the agency of the Christ, however, the “episodes” in the life of Jesus were, many of them, elevated to the level of “events”.
7. Of the work of the Christ it is said that He “enveloped humanity in the mantle of love, grasped the rod of initiation on behalf of His brothers, and faced the Lord of Life Himself, unattended, unafraid and in His Own right.” These are powerful words conveying in heroic terms the courageous sacrifice of the Christ on behalf of humanity. Only a Master of the Wisdom can look upon the face of the King and not perish. The Christ was already an initiate of the fifth degree (though He may have been confirming the higher aspects of that degree) and was in process of taking both the sixth and certain aspects of the seventh degree. He could, therefore, without sponsors (and, thus, “alone”), face the Lord of Life Himself, fearlessly and by right of His own attainment. Probably there are few Who know how courageous the Christ really is, so distorted has His image become through its presentation in conventional Christianity.
L. Paragraph 12
1. At the present time, and at the immediate point of tension, Christ has added to His two immediate and constant tasks that of hastening the coming of the Avatar Who waits for the perfected work of the Hierarchy, focussed in the Christ, and the powerful work of Shamballa, focussed in the Lord of the World. (cf. RI p. 93)
2. When the exact moment has arrived, the work of the Buddha, representing Shamballa, and of the Christ, representing the Hierarchy, plus the sincere demand of Humanity, will bring about an arrangement or an alignment which will release an evocative Sound which will be extra-planetary, and then the Avatar will come. (cf. RI p. 93)
At the present time, and at the immediate point of tension, Christ has added to His two immediate and constant tasks that of hastening the coming of the Avatar Who waits for the perfected work of the Hierarchy, focussed in the Christ, and the powerful work of Shamballa, focussed in the Lord of the World. When the exact moment has arrived, the work of the Buddha, representing Shamballa, and of the Christ, representing the Hierarchy, plus the sincere demand of Humanity, will bring about an arrangement or an alignment which will release an evocative Sound which will be extra-planetary, and then the Avatar will come.
1. The Avatar referenced here is very likely the Avatar of Synthesis. (Sometimes Sanat Kumara is considered a coming Avatar, but as He is referenced here in another context, He is probably not the Avatar here indicated). The Avatar here mentioned is also not to be confused with a coming seventh ray Avatar of lesser stature than either the Buddha or the Christ, but still great in His own way. (cf. EXH 298)
2. Of course, the Avatar of Synthesis has, by now, already linked up with the Planetary Logos, with the Christ and presumably with Sanat Kumara. This alignment occurred probably in 1945 when the third stanza of the Great Invocation was given to humanity through the Tibetan and AAB.
3. Many energies and forces contributed to this avataric bestowal. Was the work of the Hierarchy “perfected” and in place? Was the work of Shamballa sufficiently powerful as focussed in the Lord of the World? Was the Buddha involved as well as the Christ and was the demand of humanity sincere and of sufficient strength to invoke the Avatar? The answer to all these questions is apparently, “yes”, if the Avatar of Synthesis was the Avatar referenced in this paragraph.
4. The Christ was certainly potently active from the years 1936-1945, at the end of which period, the Avatar made His link with the Planetary Logos, and, presumably, with the Buddha and the Spirit of Peace, as well as with the Christ. That Avatar is an extra-planetary Being.
5. That a “Sound” arose as a result of all these fulfilled conditions is also fitting, and reminds us that invocation demands sound of some kind, even invocation of great Beings such as the Avatar of Synthesis.
6. We note that a kind of musical chord (a triad) must have been created from the triad of influences involved in this invocation: the note of the Buddha representing Shamballa, that of the Christ representing Hierarchy and that of humanity sounding its note of demand.
M. Paragraph 13
1. The date or the hour of that alignment depend upon the voiceless appeal of all who stand with massed intent, upon certain aspects of work being done at this time by the senior Members of the Hierarchy, and also upon the steadfastness of the disciples in the world and the initiates, and upon the so called "inscrutable will of God". (cf. RI p. 93-94)
2. The "inscrutable will of God," can be considered as the unrecognised purpose of the Lord of the World Who "knows His Own Mind, radiates the highest quality of Love, and focusses His Will in His Own high Place outside the Council Chamber of Shamballa." (cf. RI p. 94)
Ask me not for the date or the hour, brother of mine, for I know it not. It is dependent upon the appeal—the voiceless appeal—of all who stand with massed intent; it is dependent also upon the hour of exact alignment and upon certain aspects of work being done at this time by the senior Members of the Hierarchy, and also upon the steadfastness of the disciples in the world and the initiates—working in their various Ashrams. To this must be added [Page 94] what Christians call the "inscrutable will of God," the unrecognised purpose of the Lord of the World Who "knows His Own Mind, radiates the highest quality of Love, and focusses His Will in His Own high Place outside the Council Chamber of Shamballa."
1. This section of the book was, in fact, written before 1945. The Tibetan is speaking of a date and hour which became a period in 1945 occurring after the World War had been inwardly and nearly outwardly won by the forces representing the Forces of Light.
2. DK speaks of the responsibility of various parties necessarily involved in invoking the Avatar. A number of different E/entities were involved in this invocation, and certainly disciples were put on notice that their correct response (“steadfastness”) was also an important part of the invocatory formula.
3. Lest one think that the appearance of the Avatar would be foregone conclusion, occurring as the inevitable result of a properly offered invocation reaching the awareness of the Lords of Liberation, DK adds another necessary influence—the influence of Sanat Kumara which He describes as the “inscrutable will of God”. The Lords of Liberation are Shamballic Beings Who obey the Will of Sanat Kumara.
4. This additional consideration introduces into the discussion an important note of humility, and reminds us that, essentially, we stand before an unfathomable mystery.
5. Several beautiful and awe-inspiring things are said about the Lord of the World. His purpose is unrecognized; He alone “knows his Own Mind”; He radiates the highest quality of Love (on our planet); and, that His Will is so great that it is focussed in a ‘place’ that is entirely His Own—a place “outside the Council Chamber of Shamballa” (where He consults with Those of august yet lower rank than He). That great Kumaric Will is, no doubt, focussed on levels which far transcend the cosmic physical plane.
6. We are solemnly introduced to the idea that the invocation of the Avatar is a tremendous happening in which humanity plays only a tiny (if necessary) part, and that Beings far greater than man are earnestly involved in the process. This is good, lest we speak glibly of the event.
N. Paragraph 14
1. That the Avatar will come is a predictable certainty. That His forerunner will be the Christ is equally sure. Why is this the case? (cf. RI p. 94)
2. When Christ comes, the advanced units of the human family will recognise Him, whilst His advent will evoke a responsive vibration from the masses, but not straight recognition. (cf. RI p. 94)
3. The coming Avatar will be recognised by Hierarchy as an overshadowing Presence within Whose aura the planetary Logos will take His stand as the planetary Representative. (cf. RI p. 94)
4. Then from Shamballa will descend a stream of spiritual potency, qualified by the will-to-good, and this will reach the attentive Hierarchy. The Members of Hierarchy on their turn will, through the medium of the Christ, pour light and healing energy upon the Earth and peculiarly into the consciousness of men. (cf. RI p. 94)
5. Christ will come in the air, and that He will bring the "healing of the nations" in His wings. (cf. RI p. 94)
That the Avatar will come is a predictable certainty. That His forerunner will be the Christ is equally sure. When Christ comes it will be for the advanced units of the human family; they will recognise Him because He has always been with us, whilst His advent will evoke a responsive vibration from the masses, but not straight recognition. In connection with the Avatar, it will be a process of hierarchical recognition of an overshadowing Presence within Whose aura the planetary Logos will take His stand as the planetary Representative. Then from Shamballa will descend a stream of spiritual potency, qualified by the will-to-good, and this will reach the attentive Hierarchy. The Members of this Group will, through the medium of the Christ, pour light and healing energy upon the Earth and peculiarly into the consciousness of men. I am not able to express the effect of the outpouring from Shamballa in clearer terms. We are told in the Bible that Christ will come in the air, and that He will bring the "healing of the nations" in His wings. I would call your attention to this thought and to its appositeness to this day and generation. I make no prophetical predictions, I only indicate possibility.
1. If the Avatar of which we are speaking is, indeed, the Avatar of Synthesis, we see that His coming is not the thing of a moment, but a gradually intensifying process which will go through various stages of recognition.
2. The Christ has not yet “come” though He is “on His way”. The Avatar may have already linked up with the Planetary Logos, but in a deeper sense He, also, has not yet “come” just as the Christ has not yet “come”. We are speaking of processes which will require recognition over centuries.
3. Now we are in a period during which the NGWS is serving as the forerunner of the Christ, just as the Christ is the forerunner of an Avatar Who is a supporting Presence to the Christ (along with the Spirit of Peace and the Buddha).
4. It is interesting that the Christ is said to be coming for the advanced units of the human family who will recognize him as One Who has always been with us. The masses of men will feel His presence, but may not recognize Him directly. Though “every eye shall see Him”, not every eye shall recognize Him.
5. As for the Avatar of Synthesis, it is not anticipated that the masses of human beings will recognize Him as a Being. Members and affiliates of Hierarchy will recognize Him as an “overshadowing Presence”—in a way overshadowing not only the Christ but the Planetary Logos as well.
6. We now see that the Avatar can be no Being of lesser rank than the Planetary Logos, as the Planetary Logos is due to “take His stand” within the aura of the Avatar! Sanat Kumara may well be involved here, as Shamballa is mentioned as the source of a descending stream of spiritual potency. In many instances, the Planetary Logos and Sanat Kumara are as one. The inspiring Avatar can be considered an interplanetary Being.
7. A great, healing, vitalizing outpouring from Shamballa is due and will focus through the Christ. The energy of the Avatar, the Planetary Logos/Sanat Kumara, the Buddha and the Spirit of Peace will reach humanity via the Christ. The Christ will bring the “healing of the nations” in His wings. This thought suggests the presence and helpful power of the ‘winged’ deva kingdom. On the other hand, humanity now has wings through its airplanes which (why not) the Christ may well use.
8. Great plans are being laid and great possibilities exist. The Tibetan avoids prophecy indicating only possibilities towards which we are all enjoined to work.
O. Paragraph 15
1. When the Avatar has made His appearance, then will the
"Sons of men who are now the Sons of God withdraw Their faces from the shining light and radiate that light upon the sons of men who know not yet they are the Sons of God. Then shall the Coming One appear, His footsteps hastened through the valley of the shadow by the One of awful power Who stands upon the mountain top, breathing out love eternal, light supernal and peaceful silent Will.
"Then will the sons of men respond. Then will a newer light shine forth into the dismal weary vale of earth. Then will new life course through the veins of men, and then will their vision compass all the ways of what may be.
"So peace will come again on earth, but a peace unlike aught known before. Then will the will-to-good flower forth as understanding, and understanding blossom as goodwill in men." (cf. RI p. 94-95)
When the Avatar has made His appearance, then will the
"Sons of men who are now the Sons of God withdraw Their faces from the shining light and radiate that light upon the sons of men who know not yet they are the Sons of God. Then shall the Coming One appear, His footsteps hastened through the valley of the shadow by the One of awful power Who stands upon the mountain top, breathing out love eternal, light supernal and peaceful silent Will.
"Then will the sons of men respond. Then will a newer light shine forth into the dismal weary vale of [Page 95] earth. Then will new life course through the veins of men, and then will their vision compass all the ways of what may be.
"So peace will come again on earth, but a peace unlike aught known before. Then will the will-to-good flower forth as understanding, and understanding blossom as goodwill in men."
1. We are here presented with a paragraph of extraordinary beauty from the Old Commentary telling of an impending time of fulfillment for humanity.
2. Interpreting these words, we find that the Hierarchy will withdraw Their faces from contemplating Shamballa and turn Their gaze towards unawakened humanity (i.e., upon those “who know not yet they are Sons of God”).
3. The Coming One is the Christ and His footsteps will be hastened through the “valley of the shadow” (namely, the lower planes) by Sanat Kumara, Who stands upon the “mountain top” (the logoic plane, as the One Initiator) breathing out the essence of the three Divine Aspects—“love eternal, light supernal, peaceful silent will”.
4. Humanity will respond, become enlightened, become re-animated, and see their divine possibilities.
5. The Peace of Shamballa will descend upon Earth (through the agency of Sanat Kumara and the Spirit of Peace). It will be an entirely new kind of peace.
6. A sequence of fulfillments will emerge. The will-to-good will become understanding and understanding “blossom as goodwill in men”.
7. In short, the soul of our Planetary Logos will be infusing His personality. The Saviours involved in this great redemption will, like the Christ, “see of the travail of His [Their] Soul and be satisfied”.
8. There are times when discouragement may descend upon even the sincere and highly motivated disciple. If such times arise, perhaps this paragraph from the Old Commentary may be read. Will not inspiration return?
P. Paragraph 16
1. The Avatar has linked up with the planetary Logos in the year 1945, at the time when the final Stanza of the Great Invocation has been given out. (cf. RI p. 95)
2. The use of the Great Invocation will serve to bring the Coming One to recognition and enable Him to draw upon the resources of the Avatar in the task of world reorganisation and regeneration. (cf. RI p. 95)
3. The Christ will again come as the World Saviour, but He will be fortified and buttressed by the "silent Avatar" Who (occultly speaking) will "keep His eye upon Him, His hand beneath, and His heart in unison with His." (cf. RI p. 95)
So speaks a prophetic passage in the ancient Archives of the Hierarchy which deals with the present cycle of distress (written in June, 1943). For this time men must prepare. You will know when the Avatar links up with the planetary Logos because I will then give you the final Stanza of the Great Invocation (given out in April, 1945). Its use will serve to bring the Coming One to recognition and enable Him to draw upon the resources of the Avatar in the task of world reorganisation and regeneration. He will again come as the World Saviour, but owing to the stupendous nature of the work ahead, He will be fortified and buttressed by the "silent Avatar" Who (occultly speaking) will "keep His eye upon Him, His hand beneath, and His heart in unison with His."
1. As the chapter unfolds, we see and understand that the Avatar here referenced is, indeed, the “Avatar of Synthesis”.
2. The Great Invocation (Stanza Three) is promised as the signal of His link up with the Planetary Logos.
3. The use of this great Mantram for preparing for the Coming One is noted. In fact, we are told that there is no better way to prepare for the Reappearance of the Christ than through the use of the Great Invocation.
4. The resources of the Avatar will be needed for “world reorganization and regeneration”
5. The Christ’s coming work will be “stupendous”—that word again, and no exaggeration.
6. How the Avatar works is beautifully given. He is the “silent Avatar”, for in the silence is synthesis, and He is the Avatar of Synthesis.
7. The Avatar will work (and presumably is now working) through the eye, hand and heart. The eye directs (and carries the potency of) the first ray. The hand supports and creates the foundation of the third ray. The heart brings the intimacy of the second ray, and assures the deepest identification.
8. Is it not amazing what resources are gathered together to assist the Christ in His salvation of humanity and the planet. How deserving the Christ must be to have warranted such support! Only a profoundly selfless love could magnetize it.
Q. Paragraph 16
1. The keynote of Christ's mission will be to evoke from humanity a response to that influence, and an unfoldment on a large scale of intuitive perception. /cf. RI p. 95)
2. When the Christ came 2000 years ago, He evoked from humanity a gradual response to truth, and mental understanding. That is why at the end of the cycle, which He inaugurated, we have formulated doctrine and mental development. (cf. RI p. 95)
The keynote of Christ's mission will be to evoke from humanity a response to that influence, and an unfoldment on a large scale of intuitive perception. When He came before, He evoked from humanity a gradual response to truth, and mental understanding. That is why at the end of the cycle, which He inaugurated, we have formulated doctrine and mental development.
1. A great synthesis is gathering and already it can be felt. It is intuition that will appreciate the gathering synthesis and it will be Christ’s mission to evoke from humanity a great development of “intuitive perception”. The intuition can sense the whole.
2. We have learned that there are two phases to the Christ’s mission—God the Saviour and God the Preserver. There is also a sequence of evocations. Two thousand years ago (and following) He evoked from humanity “a gradual response to truth, and mental understanding”. Humanity has responded and today we have what the Tibetan calls “formulated doctrine and mental development” (for better or for worse, and both rather closely related to the Virgo polarity of the Age of Pisces/Virgo).
3. But now buddhi is required to supercede and yet infuse manas.
R. Paragraph 17
1. The work now being done by Shamballa and the Hierarchy on behalf of humanity will tend also to develop group consciousness and the formation of many groups which will be living organisms and not organisations; it will make group initiation possible and will enable certain aspects of the will to flower forth correctly and with safety. (cf. RI p. 95)
2. There is a distinction between groups and organisations upon which the coming of the Christ will throw much light. (cf. RI p. 95)
The work now being done by Shamballa and the Hierarchy on behalf of humanity will tend also to develop group consciousness and the formation of many groups which will be living organisms and not organisations; it will make group initiation possible and will enable certain aspects of the will to flower forth correctly and with safety. The tendency to overlook the distinction between groups and organisations is still very deep-seated; the coming of the Christ will throw much light upon this problem. A study of Rule IV as given to disciples and initiates will also serve [Page 96] to clarify this matter, and with that we shall now concern ourselves.
1. Superceding mental consciousness will be intuitive consciousness, which is intimately related to group consciousness.
2. Note that if the consciousness is truly intuitive (rather than simply mental) organizations will give way to living organisms, flexible and responsive to the Divine Plan.
3. As group consciousness and intuition blossom, group initiation will emerge as a reality and the development of will will occur with relative safety, buffered by the presence of group love.
4. Christ is coming, among other things, to bring “not peace but the sword”. A sharpened faculty of discrimination will appear, helping to differentiate between the motive and quality of various groups. People do not know the difference between true groups (i.e., organisms) and organizations, because buddhic life is not yet pervading their consciousness.
5. The livingness of Christ will help reveal the distinction, as will a realization of what constitutes greater and lesser lives, greater and lesser wheels—the theme of Rules IV.