Tapestry of the Gods
by Michael D. Robbins (c)
Aries & Cancer
Important Foundational Relationships
Important Foundational Relationships
Aries In Comparison With Cancer
1. The Ram, the Lamb
1. The Crab
2. Esoteric Mantram: I come forth and from the plane of mind, I rule.
2. I build a lighted house and therein dwell.
3. Exoteric/Evolutionary Mantram: And the Word said: Let form again be sought.
3. And the Word Said: Let isolation be the rule and yet the crowd exists.
4. Quality of Light: The Light of Life Itself
4. The Light within the form
5. Element: Fire Sign
5. Element: Water sign
6. Cardinal Cross
6. Cardinal Cross
7. Transmits R1 and R7 constellationally
7. Cancer transmits R3 and R7 constellationally.
8. Secondarily, (assuredly, but not exclusively), Aries transmits R6, R4 and R7 through Mars, Mercury and Uranus—its three planetary rulers on three levels—exoteric, esoteric and hierarchical.
8. Secondarily, (assuredly, but not exclusively), Cancer transmits R4 and R6, through the Moon and Neptune—its two planetary rulers on three levels—exoteric, esoteric and hierarchical.
9. Color: carmine, scarlet red
9. Color: violet
10. Creative Hierarchy number II (unmanifested), characterized by the “Unity thro’ Effort”
10. Creative Hierarchy number V (unmanifested) Mass Life, Veiling the Christ
11. Associated with the inaugural first, the blinding, surmounting third, the revelatory fifth and the resurrecting seventh initiations, but especially with the third (EA 388-389) and seventh (EA 304) initiations—transfiguration and resurrection. The exalted Sun in Aries can be understood as relating to each of these initiations.
11. Cancer has no specific relation to the first three initiations. Since Neptune (inducing love and inclusive idealism) is so important at the second initiation (EA 71, 297-298), Cancer must be implicated. After the third initiation, the Cancerian can become “the Crab, who clears the ocean of matter which flows around the soul of man” (EA 62) In subtle ways Cancer must be related to the fourth (EA 218) and eighth initiations (relating to unmanifested Hierarchy V—eighth from below).
12. Correlated to the synthesizing crown center and the ajna center—considered as the center of personality direction. Also influencing the impulsive solar plexus and the propagative center of sexuality—the sacral center, in relation to which, the opposites are brought together. The fertility of the Ram suggests the sacral association. Some connection with the based of the spine center is also possible, as Mars and Mercury (Aries’ first two rulers) rule kundalini “latent” and “in intelligent activity” respectively. Its hierarchical ruler, Uranus, transmits the seventh ray and is, thus, numerically related to this seventh (lowest) center.
12. Cancer can be reasonably associated with the protective and nourishment-giving centers in the breasts and, particularly, with the instinctual, bi-polar, emotionally sensitive solar plexus center. The disease, cancer, is strongly associated with a disturbed, congested solar plexus; the sign and the disease are, in fact, related. The sacral center (involved in form-building) cannot be ignored. The chakras in the ‘gripping’ hands are related. When Neptune (the esoteric and hierarchical ruler) functions buddhically, the sign Cancer can also be related to the compassionate, humanity-embracing heart center.
13. The zodiacal signs influence the Monad of every human being (EA 411, 637, TCF 1191); the influence from Aries impels the Monad forth upon its aeonial pilgrimage. The sense of pure selfhood which characterizes monadic awareness is enhanced by Aries. Further, Aries endows the Monad with its inherent omnipotence relative to the human energy system.
13. The zodiacal signs influence the Monad of every human being (EA 411, 637, TCF 1191); the influence from Cancer influences the Monad to seek expression upon the lowest plane of manifestation, and to guard and preserve the fragment of itself sent forth, holding it in manifestation until the purpose of the pilgrimage is accomplished.
14. Within the Triad—associated principally with atma, the spiritual will as it reflects divine will and law. Aries is also associated with the birth of ideas in buddhi (or at least their reception from the buddhic realm) and also with their abstract formulation within the sphere of higher manas.
14. Within the Triad—Cancer is most associated with buddhi, as it expresses intuition, divine love and compassion. Neptune, a planet of intuition, love and compassion (and, the esoteric and hierarchical ruler of Cancer) reinforces the relationship to buddhi. The third ray of Cancer links it to higher manas, the third aspect of the Spiritual Triad.
15. In relation to the Solar Angel, and the soul-consciousness (and causal body) through which it expresses—Aries governs the persistent will-to-incarnate “Let form again be sought”, and the first impulses (emanating from the plane of mind) towards descent onto the physical plane. “Aries—is connected with soul intention, the vibratory activity of which (under impulse from the Monad) initiates the successive involutionary periods which produce appearance upon the physical plane.) (EA 302)
15. In relation to the Solar Angel, and the soul-consciousness (and causal body) through which it expresses—Cancer can be understood as the protective guardianship and nurturing ‘mother-love’ which the Solar Angel has offered its personality for millions of years. Cancer rules the causal body as ‘home’ (when in deep meditation or out of incarnation). Cancer also rules the will of the Solar Angel to build a dense physical habitation, and to abide, for a term, within it.
16. Within the Personality—Aries can be identified with the ruling and assertive qualities of the mental nature; with the impulses and passions of the astral nature; with the forceful but irregular vigor of the etheric nature; and, generally, with the muscular strength of the dense physical nature. Aries is especially related to the lower mental vehicle. (EA 92) (The vehicular focus and its degree of prominence, depends upon the stage of evolutionary development.)
16. Within the Personality—Cancer can be identified with the memory and retentiveness of the lower mental nature; with the sensitivity and receptivity of the astral nature; with the de-vitalization or insufficient vitalization of the etheric nature; and, with the tenacity of the physical elemental as it seeks to perpetuate the integrity of its life. In general, Cancer (through the Moon) is especially associated with the dense physical form as a first solar system ‘residue’, and with the fourth or personality elemental (arising from the lesser three). (The vehicular focus and its degree of prominence, depends upon the stage of evolutionary development.)
17. Stage within a Preliminary Fourfold Meditative Process: Conception
17. Stage within a Preliminary Fourfold Meditative Process: Incarnation, Embodiment
18. The Crisis of Orientation characterized by the process/quality of Reversal. (EA 472)
18. The Crisis of Incarnation characterized by the process/quality of Individualization
Wider Relationships: Cosmic and Systemic
Aries In Comparison With Cancer
1. Expressive, principally, of the first or will aspect of divinity. “Aries is the focal point of the expression of the first aspect of divinity, the will aspect.” (EA 194)Some third aspect may enter in relation to activity and , depending upon whether the seventh ray is interpreted in terms of the first or third rays.
1. Expressive principally of the third or Intelligence aspect—in relation to matter. (EA 351)The incarnation process under the rulership of Cancer “is initiation into the creative third aspect, the matter aspect and the world of intelligent activity.” (EH 144) Since ruled by Neptune and related to the Pleiades, Cancer is correlated to buddhi (TCF 1162), and thus, also, is linked to the second aspect of divinity.
2. Cosmically, associated primarily with the Great Bear: “Aries is, as might be expected, closely connected with the Great Bear, but peculiarly so with one of the stars called The Pointers;….” (EA 195) “The Great Bear—Aries—Pluto—Shamballa.” (EA 416) “Aries—Libra—The Sun (which are an expression of the Great Bear) bring about that focussing of energy in the life of the disciple which makes it possible for him to function consciously and with intention upon the Path of Initiation.” (EA 466) “Aries, the initiator of impulses (either the impulse to incarnate or the impulse to return to the originating source) is closely in touch with one of the stars in the Great Bear to which we give the name ‘Pointer’ in common parlance. This Pointer is a ‘major star of direction’ because through it (in this world cycle) flows the will to unify and to bring about synthesis.” (EA 482)
2. Cosmically associated primarily with the Pleiades. “Pleiades—Cancer—Venus—Humanity” (EA 416)
3. Three Constellations Connected with Aries: a) Cassiopeia—the Enthroned Queen; b) Cetus—the Sea Monster; c) Perseus—the One Who Subdues (cf. LOH 35-36)
3. Three Constellations Connected (symbolically) with Cancer: a) Ursa Major—the Great Bear; b) Ursa Minor—the Little Bear; c) Argo—the Ship. (LOH 90-92) Another constellation Connected with Cancer is Praesepe—the Beehive. There are eighty three stars to be found ‘within’ this constellation. (LOH 87-88) Tradition connects both Ursa Major and Minor with “flock(s) of sheep” and “sheepfold(s)”
Relationships Between Three Levels of Planetary Rulers,
and Planets in Exaltation, Fall and Detriment
Aries In Comparison With Cancer
1. Mars is exoteric ruler of Aries
1. Mars falls in Cancer
Subtle Relationships Between Rays,
Zodiacal and Planetary Energies
Aries In Comparison With Cancer
1. Aries transmits the first ray constellationally. Aries is also the first sign of the zodiac on both the reversed and clockwise wheels, and on the wheel which numbers the signs by polarity (Aries-Libra, Taurus-Scorpio, etc.) All this reinforces the association of Aries with the first ray.
1. Cancer is the tenth sign of the zodiac on the clockwise wheel. Ten sums to one, hence Cancer is numerologically resonant to the first ray. First ray Spirit sleeps (with first-ray Vulcan, veiled by the Moon) in matter. For undeveloped man (in regressive Cancer), the Moon veils Vulcan, transmitter of the first ray (resistance)
2. Aries transmits the seventh ray constellationally.
2. Cancer transmits the seventh ray constellationally. The Moon is closely related to the seventh ray, through its rulership of the seventh manifested Creative Hierarchy, and its general association with dense physical matter. The Moon is really a veiling transmitter of the seventh ray, due to its association with the seventh plane and its general veiling of seventh-ray Uranus Jupiter is exalted in Cancer and transmits the seventh ray through “ritualistic worship.” (EA 660).
3. Counting from Pisces clockwise, Aries becomes the twelfth sign, and is thus numerically resonant with the number three and with the third ray. “Let form again be sought.” Aries plunges into the material world at the outset of every new cycle.
3. Cancer transmits the third ray constellationally. The Moon, the exoteric ruler of Cancer, is closely related to the third ray. (EA 280), and to the third chain and the first solar system (the ray of which was the third). Neptune, the “God of the Waters” and the esoteric and hierarchical ruler of Cancer, is related to the third ray, because “water” is “matter”(third ray). ““Neptune is as you know, the God of the waters, and the term “water” covers many angles of the esoteric wisdom, such as: The whole concept of matter—universal and itemised….” Neptune’s trident shows this relation. “…Neptune, Who rules the ocean, whose trident and astrological symbol signifies the Trinity in manifestation.” (EA 220)
4. Mars, the exoteric ruler of Aries, transmits the sixth ray.
4. Neptune, the esoteric and hierarchical ruler of Cancer, transmits the sixth ray. Jupiter (exalted in Cancer) through its enthusiasm and aspirational nature has defensible connections to the sixth ray.
5. Mars also transmits the first ray, because its “School” trains “those whose work is along the lines of the destroyer.” (TCF 1179). It is the first ray which is the Ray of the Destroyer.
5. See #1 above.
6. Mars manifests as the astral body of a great third ray Entity and, hence, is aligned with the transmission of the third ray. The physical body of Mars must be more the third than seventh ray. (EPII 99)
6. See #3 above.
7. Mars is closely associated with the fifth ray, because it governs the five senses and rules science. (EA 215)
7. There are no fifth ray transmissions through Cancer. If the Moon is considered to veil Vulcan, in early, materialistic Cancer, then, Vulcan can be said to have an association with the concrete mineral kingdom (a kingdom to which the fifth ray is closely connected).
8. Mercury, the esoteric ruler of Aries, transmits the fourth ray.
8. Cancer is the fourth sign of the zodiac on the reversed wheel and, hence, has numerical affinity with the fourth ray. The Moon, the exoteric ruler of Cancer, is a veil for the transmission of fourth ray energies from an undiscovered planet. Neptune is associated with the fourth plane, the buddhic plane, and with the energy of buddhi. “No man begins to coordinate the buddhic vehicle until he comes under the influence of Neptune…. When this happens, his personality horoscope will show this influence as dominant” (TCF 899)
9. Mercury, the esoteric ruler of Aries, has a strong affinity with third ray, just as has the Moon. (cf. EA 280). Mars, the exoteric ruler of Aries, participates in the expression of a great third ray Entity. (EPII 99)
9. See #3 above.
10. Mercury, the esoteric ruler of Aries, possibly transmits the fifth ray monadically (as Lord of Manas). Further, Mercury rules the fifth race and is connected with the fifth scheme and the fifth round.
10. See #7 above.
11. Uranus, the hierarchical ruler of Aries, transmits the seventh ray, probably as its soul ray.
11. See #2 above.
12. Uranus, the hierarchical ruler of Aries, the first sign, transmits the first ray monadically. (EPI 421)
12. See #1 above.
13. . Uranus, the hierarchical ruler of Aries, is closely connected to the third ray which is probably transmits as the personality ray. (cf. EA 200, 238)
13. See #3 above.
14. Uranus stands for “exoteric science” which is on the fifth ray (EA 149)
14. See #7 above.
15. Uranus stands in a line of transmission along the second ray from Sirius and Pisces (EA 432). Further, Uranus participates, probably as the mental body, in the expression of a great second ray Entity. (EPII 99)
15. See #16 below.
16. The Sun, exalted in Aries, is the veiling transmitter of the second ray, and, as a star, transmits the second ray in its own right.
16. Jupiter is exalted in Cancer and transmits the second ray. Neptune, the esoteric and hierarchical ruler of Cancer, transmits the second ray monadically. (EPI 421)
17. Vulcan often substitutes for the Sun, and the Sun is exalted in Aries. Vulcan is related to the “heart of the sun”, and hence, in some mysterious way, to the second ray. (EA 393)
17. See #16 immediately above.
General Qualitative Comparisons, Contrasts and Pragmatic Descriptors
General Qualitative Comparisons, Contrasts
and Pragmatic Descriptors
Aries In Comparison With Cancer
1. The Father Force
1. The Mother Force
2. The Cosmic Christ (EA 67, also 243)
2. Kwan Yin—the Mother of Compassion
3. Shamballa: “…Aries releases man into another centre to which we give the name Shamballa.” (EA 98)
3. Humanity: “Humanity has ‘emerged from rock and water and brings its habitation with it’…” (EA 102);“Cancer admits the soul into the world centre which we call Humanity.” (EA 168); “Humanity” (EA 333)
4. Shamballa as Freedom
4. The Ashram as Refuge
5. The Will-to-Be
6. Representative of the Will-to-Create
6. Representative of the Will-to-Evolve
7. Pure Being
7. The Form: the Obscuration of Pure Being
8. Associated with Purusha (Spirit)
8. Associated with Prakriti (Matter)
9. Spirit Awareness (Solar-Monadic)
9. Mass Consciousness (Lunar-Personal)
10. The Igniter of the Spirit
10. The Conservator of the Form
11. The Self
11. The not-Self
12. “Cosmic Fire” (EA 293)
12. Fire by Friction
14. The Destroyer
14. The Preserver
15. Divine Selfhood
15. Divine Providence
16. The Gods of Wrath
16. The Compassionate Deities
18. The Resurrected Christ
18. The Imprisoned Christ
20. The Individualist; the Independent
20. The Dependent
21. The ‘Originist’
21. The Traditionalist
22. The Avante Garde
22. The Rear Garde
23. The Inspirer
23. The Protector
24. The Provocateur
24. The Guardian
25. The Incendiary
25. The Home-maker
26. The Warrior
26. The House-holder
27. “He Who Goes Forth”
27. The One Who Stays Home
28. The Pioneer
28. The “Settler”; Homesteader
29. The Lover of Danger
29. The Lover of Security
30. The Aggressor
30. The Defender
31. The Invader
31. The Patriot
32. The Dictator
32. The Man of the People
33. In the Military: the Soldier
33. In the Military: the Cook, the Mess
34. The Initiator of Events
34. The Historian
35. The Sword
35. The Chalice, the Vase
36. Patriarchy (with Leo and Capricorn)
36. Matriarchy (with Virgo and Pisces)
37. The Masculine Energy: Men and their Issues
37. The Feminine Energy: Women and their Issues
38. The Sign of the Future—Related to the Coming Solar System
38. The Oldest Sign—Related to the First Solar System: “…it might be said that Cancer is an expression (in the stage of great advancement) of the first half of the life cycle in solar system one,…” (EA 256)
39. Aries—Creation: “Cosmically…the activity of Deity when spirit and matter are brought into a definite relationship and, under divine purpose, produce that fusion of living energies which will be adequately potent in time and space to bring that purpose to its desired consummation. This is Creation, or Aries in activity.” (EA 239)
39. Cancer—Manifestation: “…the objective appearing of the thoughtform which God has thus created and in which is embodied His desire, His will, His purpose and His plan. This is Manifestation, or Cancer in activity.” (EA 239)
40. The Evolutionary Process in Relation to Creation in Aries upon the Cardinal Cross: “Then he becomes a cooperator in the great creative process and purpose. He begins to create his own body of expression upon the Cardinal Cross and the impulse of Aries begins to appear to him. As yet he understands it not.” (EA 240)
40. The Evolutionary Process in Relation to Manifestation in Cancer upon the Cardinal Cross: “He manifests consciously in the world that which he intends to carry forward and Cancer then reveals to him its secret.” (EA 240)
41. In Aries: “Initiating impulse. Life” (EA 221)
41. In Cancer: “Focussed impulse. Incarnation.” (EA 221)
42. Conception—Uranus is the hierarchical ruler of Aries
42. Birth—Saturn is in detriment in Cancer. (The difficulty and pain in incarnated living)
43. Emotional Life: fiery emotion
43. Emotional life: watery emotion
44. Associated with “driving forward through space” and “progress onward”—first ray motions. Thus, progressive.
44. Associated with “rotary motion” and retrogression—related to the third ray. Thus, regressive.
45. The Sixth and Fourth Rays are Dominant upon the Path of Evolution: Aries is active in relation to the sixth ray through Mars. (EA 166)
45. The Sixth and Fourth Rays are Dominant upon the Path of Evolution: Cancer is active in relation to the fourth ray through the Moon. (EA 166)
46. Birth in Aries: “Aries, the ‘birthplace of divine Ideas,’ whether these ideas are souls brought into incarnation and controlled by Mars until they reach the point of reorientation and become sensitive to the influence of Mercury, or whether they are the birth of the ideas of God in the form of the hierarchical plans to which the initiate becomes sensitive.” (EA 102)
46. Birth in Cancer: “Cancer, the ‘birthplace into the life of form,’ the door into physical incarnation. This is the sign in which humanity, as a whole integrated unit, is born, the scene of the emergence of the fourth kingdom in nature. Humanity has ‘emerged from rock and water and brings its habitation with it’ (as the Old Commentary expresses it) and mass instinctual consciousness comes into being. Note that phrase. (EA 102)
47. Aries—for the Undeveloped Man: “Blind, undirected experience. Instinctual reaction.” (EA 332)
47. Cancer—for Undeveloped Man: “The blind unit is lost. The mass.” (EA 332)
48. Aries—for the Advanced Man: “Directed personality effort. Desire.” (EA 332)
48. Cancer—for Advanced Man: “The unit awakens to that which is around. The House.” (EA 332)
49. Aries—for the Disciple/Initiate: “Recognition and work with the Plan. Will.” (EA 332)
49. Cancer—for the Disciple/Initiate: “The Whole is seen as one. Humanity.” (EA 332)
50. Yearly Opportunity in Relation to Aries: When the Sun is in Aries, an individual may cultivate
50. Yearly Opportunity in Relation to Cancer: When the Sun is in Cancer the disciple may attempt to increase his power to manifest (to em-‘body’), his intuitive faculties, and cultivate the sense of wholeness.
51. The Life of the Christ from an Aretian Perspective: “Aries.—This sign, which is the sign of beginnings, provided the impulse and energy which enabled Him to inaugurate the Christian era; it initiated, through Him, the ‘age of Love’ which is only now beginning to take form, and its potency is now so great that it has brought about (paradoxically) the present world cleavage.” (EA 567)
51. The life of the Christ from the Cancerian perspective: “The potency of this sign is expressed for us by Christ in the oft misinterpreted words: ‘Other sheep I have which are not of this fold, them also I must bring.’ This refers to the mass consciousness in contradistinction to the initiate consciousness of His disciples. Cancer is a mass sign.
52. “I am”
52. I feel”
53. Spirit liberated from matter—Uranus
53. Spirit asleep in matter—the Moon veils Vulcan in the case of those who are less evolved—i.e., the mass.
54. The future; the future solar system
54. The past; the past solar system
55. “Blind, undirected experience” (EA 332)
55. “The blind unit is lost” (EA 332)
56. Inchoate awareness
57. Initial steps towards manifestation
58. Spiritual energy (EA 93)
58. The incarnation of the soul (EA 93)
59. The power of the soul and Spirit.
59. The three lunar elementals considered as one elemental force—the personality as an elemental life.
60. Unifying; “The whole is seen as one” (EA 332)
61. Form-preserving (Jupiter exalted)
62. Nurturing, comforting
65. The resurrection of Spirit from matter
65. The burial of Spirit within the cask of matter; entombment
71. “Binding up” the wounds
72. Direct; confronting
72. Indirect; side-stepping (like the crab)
73. Timidity (except when protecting their young)
76. Individual identity
76. Family identity
77. Eternally youthful
77. Old and tired early—the fatiguing burden of the past
78. Energetic bursts of spasmodic activity
79. Failing to complete
79. Bringing to completion
80. Seizing the new
80. Serving the old with the new
81. Descending then ascending
81. Descending and holding the “low ground”
Similarities and Points of Cooperation Between the Influences
Similarities and Points of Cooperation
Between the Zodiacal Influences
Re-creation in which the influence of Cancer, combined with that of Aries, produces the pull into incarnation upon the physical plane. (EA 107)
Both Aries and Cancer are found upon the Cardinal Cross which implicates them in major mass movements.
Both of these signs display an extraordinary tenacity perhaps because of their association with the sixth ray.
Aries associated through its exoteric rulership by Mars and Cancer through its esoteric rulership by Neptune.
Additionally, both Aries and Cancer can both be considered signs of manifestation. The first step of manifestation is undertaken in Aries and the completion of the process is effected in Cancer.
Note that both share the seventh ray in common, i.e. the seventh ray passes through both the constellation Aries and Cancer on its way into our solar system.
Note: although there is an appreciable difference between the signs and the constellations as energy centres, they will for practical purposes, be considered interchangeable. A detailed discussion of their relationship is set forth within these volumes.
As different as are, the signs Aries and Cancer, share a certain defensiveness. Aries as it proceeds to fulfil its initiatives will often resort to combative or aggressive behavior. Cancer in order to defend that for it has undertaken protective responsibility will frequently resort similarly to combative or even aggressive tactics. Note the "mother bear" phenomenon.
From one point of view both of these signs are involved in the process of re-birth or reincarnation, i.e. the process of involution. Aries represents the first impulse of the spirit to involve itself in the coils of matter. In this case the horns of the ram are turned symbolically downwards representing the descent of spirit into matter. Cancer represents the successful encasement of the spirit in a perfected form.
On a practical and more material level the close connection between these signs can be seen in the reciprocal interplay between head ruled by Aries and stomach ruled by Cancer. Stress in the one organ causing stress in the other and vice versa.
During the aspirational phase of evolution, both of these signs are powerfully associated with desire, although Aries is principally connected with the head; through its rulership by Mars it has a close connection with the aggressiveness of the solar plexus and hence with the predations of the desire body.
Cancer is naturally associated with the solar plexus and with the sixth ray; it is therefore also keenly connected with the attachments of the emotional body. Together these signs will initiate many attachments at a certain phase of evolution.
Missing or Weak Links Between Aries and Cancer
(to be completed)