Tapestry of the Gods
by Michael D. Robbins (c)
Aries & Sagittarius
Important Foundational Relationships
Important Foundational Relationships
In Comparison With
1. The Ram, the Scapegoat 1. The Centaur, the Archer, the Bow and Arrow, the Arrow with Bow Fragment 2. Esoteric Mantram: I come forth and from the plane of mind, I rule. 2. Esoteric Mantram: I see the goal. I reach the goal and see another. 3. Exoteric/Evolutionary Mantram: And the Word said: Let form again be sought. 3. Exoteric/Evolutionary Mantram: And the Word said: Let food be sought. 4. Quality of Light: The Light of Life Itself 4. Quality of Light: A beam of directed, focused Light 5. Element: Fire Sign 5. Element: Fire Sign 6. Cardinal Cross 6. Mutable or Common Cross 7. Transmits R1 and R7 constellationally 7. Transmits R4, R5 and R6 constellationally 8. Secondarily, (assuredly, but not exclusively), Aries transmits R6, R4 and R7 through Mars, Mercury and Uranus—its three planetary rulers on three levels—exoteric, esoteric and hierarchical. 8. Secondarily, (assuredly, but not exclusively) Sagittarius transmits R2, R3 and R6 through Jupiter, the Earth and Mars—its three planetary rulers on three levels—exoteric, esoteric and hierarchical.. 9. Color: carmine, scarlet red 9. Color: rich blue 10. Creative Hierarchy number II (unmanifested), characterized by the “Unity thro’ Effort” 44. 10. Creative Hierarchy number VI (manifested), the Lunar Lords, or Sacrificial Fires. 11. Associated with the inaugural first, the blinding, surmounting third, the revelatory fifth and the resurrecting seventh initiations, but especially with the third (EA 388-389) and seventh (EA 304) initiations—transfiguration and resurrection. The exalted Sun in Aries can be understood as relating to each of these initiations. 11. Associated with the instinct-directing, ‘soul-ward’ orienting, ‘form-abstractive’ first initiation; with the fierily-baptizing, ideal-containing, de-glamorizing, clear-eyed second initiation, and with the direction-choosing, outward-bound, adventuring, nirvanic sixth initiation—the initiation of Decision.
12. Correlated to the synthesizing crown center and the ajna center—considered as the center of personality direction. Also influencing the impulsive solar plexus and the propagative center of sexuality—the sacral center, in relation to which, the opposites are brought together. The fertility of the Ram suggests the sacral association. Some connection with the based of the spine center is also possible, as Mars and Mercury (Aries’ first two rulers) rule kundalini “latent” and “in intelligent activity” respectively. Its hierarchical ruler, Uranus, transmits the seventh ray and is, thus, numerically related to this seventh (lowest) center.
12. Sagittarius can be reasonably associated with the insistently driving, aspiring, fiery solar plexus center; with the instinctively-hunting, passion-driven sacral center, and even with the center at the base of the spine, where the latent fire (Mars) awaits its rising; Earth (with its first ray Monad and a symbol identical to the fourfold structure of the base center) is the esoteric ruler of Sagittarius, connecting it to that lowest center. The personality-directing, clear-seeing, force controlling ajna center should also be influenced strongly by Sagittarius, at a relatively high point in the evolutionary process.
13. The zodiacal signs influence the Monad of every human being (EA 411, 637, TCF 1191); the influence from Aries impels the Monad forth upon its aeonial pilgrimage. The sense of pure selfhood which characterizes monadic awareness is enhanced by Aries. Further, Aries endows the Monad with its inherent omnipotence relative to the human energy system. 13. The zodiacal signs influence the Monad of every human being (EA 411, 637, TCF 1191); the influence from Sagittarius guides the Monad on its descent into material immersion, and, again, through an inherently flawless sense of direction, guides the Monad upon its path of return. Sagittarius contributes to the conviction of “monadic destiny”, and destination. 14. Within the Triad—associated principally with atma, the spiritual will as it reflects divine will and law. Aries is also associated with the birth of ideas in buddhi (or at least their reception from the buddhic realm) and also with their abstract formulation within the sphere of higher manas. 14. Within the Triad—Sagittarius is focused in both buddhi and higher manas—the abstract mind. Sagittarius transmits the fourth ray, which relates to the fourth, or buddhic, plane and the principle of buddhi. Sagittarius is one of the intuitive signs. (EA 177) In Sagittarius, intuition (fourth ray, second principle) governs aspiration (sixth ray—which Sagittarius also transmits) (cf. EA 178) Sagittarius is at once philosophical (utilizing the abstract mind) and intuitive. The blend of buddhi and higher manas may be called “universal or spiritual mind” which Sagittarius expresses in relation to Mercury. (EA 369) 15. In relation to the Solar Angel, and the soul-consciousness (and causal body) through which it expresses—Aries governs the persistent will-to-incarnate “Let form again be sought”, and the first impulses (emanating from the plane of mind) towards descent onto the physical plane. “Aries—is connected with soul intention, the vibratory activity of which (under impulse from the Monad) initiates the successive involutionary periods which produce appearance upon the physical plane.) (EA 302) 15. In relation to the Solar Angel, and the soul-consciousness (and causal body) through which it expresses—Sagittarius can be seen as the will of the Solar Angel to inspire its personality to a state of aspiration through the presentation of an elevating vision of future spiritual possibilities. As well, when the personality errs (as oft it does), Sagittarius represents the ‘guiding beam of light’ which offers a secure sense of spiritual direction—directing, at length, to the mountain of initiation. 16. Within the Personality—Aries can be identified with the ruling and assertive qualities of the mental nature; with the impulses and passions of the astral nature; with the forceful but irregular vigor of the etheric nature; and, generally, with the muscular strength of the dense physical nature. Aries is especially related to the lower mental vehicle. (EA 92) (The vehicular focus and its degree of prominence, depends upon the stage of evolutionary development.) 16. Within the Personality—Sagittarius can be identified with the directing, thought-projecting power of the lower mental nature and its eventual responsiveness to intuitive guidance; with the passional and eventual aspirational processes of the astral nature; with the vibrancy and buoyancy of the etheric nature; and with the general tendency to energetic activity of the dense physical nature. Sagittarius is particularly associated with the integrated, one-pointed, disciplic personality.(The vehicular focus and its degree of prominence, depends upon the stage of evolutionary development.) 17. Stage within a Preliminary Fourfold Meditative Process: Conception 17. Stage of Meditative Consciousness: Inspiration. “Sagittarius—Inspiration—Preparation for initiation. Soul inspires personality life. Soul expresses itself through personality. The Initiate.” (EA 229) 18. The Crisis of Orientation characterized by the quality of Reversal. (EA 472) 18. The Choice of Direction
Wider Relationships: Cosmic and Systemic
In Comparison With
1. Expressive, principally, of the first or will aspect of divinity. “Aries is the focal point of the expression of the first aspect of divinity, the will aspect.” (EA 194)Some third aspect may enter in relation to activity and , depending upon whether the seventh ray is interpreted in terms of the first or third rays. 1. Expressive principally of the third aspect of divinity because it is the third fire sign. “From Aries comes cosmic fire; from Sagittarius comes planetary fire; and from Leo comes solar fire; and each of these fires ‘clears the way by burning’ for the expression of the three divine aspects: spirit (Aries), soul (Leo) and body (Sagittarius).” (EA 293) Expressive of the second or consciousness aspect, through its majority of soft-line constellation and planetary rays. 2. Cosmically, associated primarily with the Great Bear: “Aries is, as might be expected, closely connected with the Great Bear, but peculiarly so with one of the stars called The Pointers;….” (EA 195) “The Great Bear—Aries—Pluto—Shamballa.” (EA 416) “Aries—Libra—The Sun (which are an expression of the Great Bear) bring about that focussing of energy in the life of the disciple which makes it possible for him to function consciously and with intention upon the Path of Initiation.” (EA 466) “Aries, the initiator of impulses (either the impulse to incarnate or the impulse to return to the originating source) is closely in touch with one of the stars in the Great Bear to which we give the name "Pointer" in common parlance. This Pointer is a "major star of direction" because through it (in this world cycle) flows the will to unify and to bring about synthesis.” (EA 482) 2. Definite cosmic association with the Pleiades and probably with the Little Bear (particularly Polaris—the Pole Star). “Pleiades—Gemini/Sagittarius—Mercury” (EA 50) “Gemini—Sagittarius—Mercury (which are an expression of the Pleiades) enable the Probationary Disciple to pass on to the Path of Accepted Discipleship.” “…The Pointers; these point to the Pole star which is at this time a major ‘star of direction’.” (EA 195) It should be noted that Sagittarius is a major sign of direction. If Leo and Aries rule the two Pointers, then the third fire sign, Sagittarius, should be connected with Polaris. Also, Sirius, Gemini and Sagittarius probably formed a triangle at the time of man’s individualization. (cf. EA 355) Sagittarius and Betelgeuse are related to the third cosmic path: “Source— Betelgeuse, via the sign Sagittarius.” (EA 1257) 3. As the first fire sign, Aries is identified with Spirit. (EA 293) 3. As the third fire sign, Sagittarius is identified with Body. (EA 293) 4. Three Constellations Connected with Aries: a) Cassiopeia—the Enthroned Queen; b) Cetus—the Sea Monster; c) Perseus—the One Who Subdues (cf. LOH 35-36) 4. Three Constellations Connected with Sagittarius: a) Lyra—the Seven Stringed Harp; b) Ara—the Altar; c) Draco—the Serpent of Wisdom (LOH 166-167)
Relationships Between Three Levels of Planetary Rulers,
and Planets in Exaltation, Fall and Detriment
In Comparison With
1. Mercury is the esoteric ruler of Aries. 1. Mercury is in detriment in Sagittarius
Subtle Relationships Between Rays,
Zodiacal and Planetary Energies
In Comparison With
1. Aries transmits the first ray constellationally. Aries is also the first sign of the zodiac on both the reversed and clockwise wheels, and on the wheel which numbers the signs by polarity (Aries-Libra, Taurus-Scorpio, etc.) All this reinforces the association of Aries with the first ray. 1. Earth, the esoteric ruler of Sagittarius, transmits the first ray monadically. (EA 619) Mars (and its School) are expressive of the first ray. (TCF 1179) 2. Aries transmits the seventh ray constellationally. 2. Jupiter, the exoteric ruler, transmits the seventh ray through “ritualistic worship” (EA 648, 660) 3. Counting from Pisces clockwise, Aries becomes the twelfth sign, and is thus numerically resonant with the number three and with the third ray. “Let form again be sought.” Aries plunges into the material world at the outset of every new cycle. 3. Sagittarius is the ninth sign of the zodiac on the reversed wheel. Nine is the number of the number three. The third ray has a 900 year cycle. (EPI 348-349). The Earth, esoteric ruler of Sagittarius, transmits the third ray as its personality ray. Mars serves as the astral body to a third ray Entity. 4. Mars, the exoteric ruler of Aries, transmits the sixth ray. 4. Sagittarius transmits the sixth ray constellationally—with especial strength. Numbering the signs by polarities (Aries-Libra, Taurus-Scorpio, etc.), Sagittarius is the sixth in order, giving it numerical affinity with the sixth ray. Jupiter, the exoteric ruler, has possible sixth ray associations through enthusiasm and the “worship” aspect of ritual Mars, the hierarchical ruler, transmits the sixth ray. 5. Mars also transmits the first ray, because its “School” trains “those whose work is along the lines of the destroyer.” (TCF 1179). It is the first ray which is the Ray of the Destroyer. 5. See #1 above. 6. Mars manifests as the astral body of a great third ray Entity and, hence, is aligned with the transmission of the third ray. The physical body of Mars must be more the third than seventh ray. (EPII 99) 6. See #3 above. 7. Mars is closely associated with the fifth ray, because it governs the five senses and rules science. (EA 215) 7. Sagittarius transmits the fifth ray constellationally. Further, Sagittarius is the fifth sign on the clock-wise wheel and hence, has numerical affinity with the fifth ray. Mars, the hierarchical ruler, has strong fifth ray relations, through its orange color and its connection to science and the five senses. 8. Mercury, the esoteric ruler of Aries, transmits the fourth ray. 8. Sagittarius transmits the fourth ray constellationally. Further, Sagittarius is the fourth sign of the zodiac upon the clockwise wheel, numbering from Pisces. (cf. also EA 357) Earth has a close relationship to the fourth ray through its planetary order (fourth from the Sun if Vulcan is counted) and its symbol. (the fourfold, even-armed cross within a circle). Mars, the “God of War” must be related to the lower aspect of the fourth ray—that which produces the conflict which precedes harmony. 9. Mercury, the esoteric ruler of Aries, has a strong affinity with third ray, just as has the Moon. (cf. EA 280). Mars, the exoteric ruler of Aries, participates in the expression of a great third ray Entity 9. See #3 above. 10. Mercury, the esoteric ruler of Aries, possibly transmits the fifth ray monadically (as Lord of Manas). Further, Mercury rules the fifth race and is connected with the fifth scheme and the fifth round. 10. See #7 above. 11. Uranus, the hierarchical ruler of Aries, transmits the seventh ray, probably as its soul ray. 11. See #2 above. 12. Uranus, the hierarchical ruler of Aries, the first sign, transmits the first ray monadically. (EPI 421) 12. See #1 above. 13. . Uranus, the hierarchical ruler of Aries, is closely connected to the third ray which is probably transmits as the personality ray. (cf. EA 200, 238) 13. See #3 above. 14. Uranus stands for “exoteric science” which is on the fifth ray (EA 149) 14. See #7 above. 15. Uranus, the hierarchical ruler of Aries, stands in a line of transmission along the second ray from Sirius and Pisces (EA 432). Further, Uranus participates, probably as the mental body, in the expression of a great second ray Entity. (EPII 99) 15. Jupiter, the exoteric ruler of Sagittarius, transmits the second ray, most probably through its soul. Earth, the esoteric ruler of Sagittarius, transmits the second ray through its second ray soul (EA 619). 16. The Sun, exalted in Aries, is the veiling transmitter of the second ray, and, as a star, transmits the second ray in its own right 16. See #15 immediately above. 17. Vulcan often substitutes for the Sun, and the Sun is exalted in Aries. Vulcan is related to the “heart of the sun”, and hence, in some mysterious way, to the second ray. (EA 393) 17. See #15 above. General Qualitative Comparisons, Contrasts and Pragmatic Descriptors
General Qualitative Comparisons, Contrasts
and Pragmatic Descriptors
In Comparison With
1. Sanat Kumara as the “Eternal Youth” 1. Sanat Kumara as the “Director” or Planetary Evolution 2. Sanat Kumara as the First among the Lives of Shamballa 2. Jupiter as the First among the Gods of Mount Olympus 3. “Cosmic Fire” (EA 293) 3. “Planetary Fire” (EA 293) 4. Associated with Pure Being—Reality 4. Associated with a Vision of Reality 5. The Spirit of Man; Monad 5. The Lunar Lords; Personality (as constituted of lunar elementals) 6. The Resurrected Christ 6. The One-pointed Disciple 7. The Initiator (EA 621) 7. Sagittarius: “the Seeker” (EA 349) 8. The Son/Sun of God 8. The Three Wise Men (who “followed a star”) 9. The Agni Yogi 9. The Bhakti or Gnani Yogi 10. The Potentate 10. The Prophet 11. The General 11. The Guru 12. The Dictator 12. The Motivator 13. The Soldier 13. The Philosopher 14. The Commander 14. The Scout 15. The Sword 15. The Bible 16. The Foot Soldier 16. The Archer 17. The Infantry 17. The Cavalry 18. The Conquistador 18. The Missionary 19. The Sword 19. The Crossbow or Arrow 20. Firing Point-Blank 20. The Marksman, Sharpshooter, Sniper 21. A Law unto Himself 21. The Moralist, the Ethicist 22. The ‘Spontanist’ 22. The Planner 23. The Ram 23. The Centaur; the Archer and his Horse; the Bow and Arrow; the Arrow Itself (with but a fragment of a bow) 24. Pegasus, the “Winged Horse” 24. The Horse—to become the Unicorn 25. Will 25. Intuition 26. Vigorous mental activity (Mercury rules esoterically) 26. Intuitive response (Mercury, in its reasoning aspect, is in detriment, through strengthened in its intuitive aspect) 27. Related to super-Nature; the imposition of Spirit upon matter. 27. Related to Nature, itself—hence, the esoteric rulership of Earth, taken as the symbol of Nature 28. Inherently associate with the Solar Lords—the Sun is exalted in Aries 28. Inherently associated with the Lunar Lords, as Sagittarius has special rulership over the Creative Hierarchy of lunar elementals. (EA 35) 29. Revelation bestowed by Aries: “…the final revelation of the nature of knowledge and the purpose of incarnation…” (EA 210) 29. Revelation bestowed by Sagittarius: “…the revelation of the purpose of soul control over the lower kingdoms in nature, via the human centre of energy.” (EA 211) 30. Aries—for the Undeveloped Man: “Blind, undirected experience. Instinctual reaction.” (EA 332) 30. Sagittarius—for the Undeveloped Man: “Self-centeredness. Experimental approach.” (EA 333) 31. Aries—for the Advanced Man: “Directed personality effort. Desire.” (EA 332) 31. Sagittarius—for the Advanced Man: “One-pointedness. Directed approach.” (EA 333) 32. Aries—for the Disciple/Initiate: “Recognition and work with the Plan. Will.” (EA 332) 32. Sagittarius—for the Disciple/Initiate: “The Director of man. The controller of the Gate. (EA 333) 33. Yearly Opportunity in Relation to Aries: When the Sun is in Aries, an individual may cultivate 33. Yearly Opportunity in Relation to Sagittarius: When the Sun is in Sagittarius the disciple may “endeavour to practice ‘one-pointedness’ along some one line” (EA 564) 34. The Life of the Christ from an Aretian Perspective: “Aries.—This sign, which is the sign of beginnings, provided the impulse and energy which enabled Him to inaugurate the Christian era; it initiated, through Him, the ‘age of Love’ which is only now beginning to take form, and its potency is now so great that it has brought about (paradoxically) the present world cleavage.” (EA 567) 34. The Life of the Christ from a Sagittarian Perspective: “The Sagittarian energy enabled Him to say, when confronted with full knowledge of the imminent sacrifice which He would have to make: ‘I must go up to Jerusalem,’ and, we read, He then ‘set His face’ and trod the Path of the Saviour, leading to the liberation of humanity.” ( EA 565) 35. Universality (EA 288) 35. One-pointed attitudes (EA 288) 36. Liberation from matter via the Will 36. Liberation from matter via the Mind 37. Will 37. Intuition 38. Penetration 38. Invocation 39. The vision of the immediate foreground 39. The long-range point of view 40. The ‘Presentist’ 40. The Futurist 41. Weak eyesight 41. Often, unusually strong eyesight 42. Short-term objectives 42. Long-term objectives 43. The frenzied, ill-coordinated attack 43. The steady-aim and release 44. ‘Rampage’ 44. Targeted assault 45. Blind, lacking a good sense of direction (ESE) 45. Greater sense of direction from the first (though errancy is initially found) 46. Friction and irritation 46. Temperance and balance (FC) 47. Immoderation 47. Moderation (FC) 48. Assertiveness—readiness to fight 48. Instantaneous flight when danger is encountered. Equipped with the power to escape 49. Thus, the courage to face and confront 49. Skittishness (MC) 50. Crude initial attempts 50. Skillful and pointed insertion of energy 51. The Mace 51. The Spear 52. Destructive (under Mars)—as the pioneer destroys nature in order to make his way forward 52. Preservative (under Jupiter)—as the adventurous lover of the wilderness seeks to preserve it in its natural states. The ecological consciousness (related to Earth) 53. Destroying boundaries (Saturn falls) 53. Transcending boundaries (Jupiter rules) 54. Leading through imposition and control 54. Leading through inspiration 55. Controlling 55. Freeing and demanding freedom 56. Persistent forward movement 56. Proceeding “by leaps and bounds” 57. Blind impulsiveness (ESE) 57. Foresight 58. Blundering in; learning by doing 58. Seeing the end from the beginning 59. Over-expenditure of energy (considering the nature of the task) 59. Virtuosity in the expenditure of energy 60. Making the dream happen—here and now 60. Following the dream, wherever it may lead Similarities and Points of Cooperation Between the Influences
Similarities and Points of Cooperation
Between the Influences of the Aries and Sagittarius
There are a great many similarities between the signs Aries and Sagittarius:
both are fire signs, both are ruled by Mars, Aries exoterically and Sagittarius Hierarchically.
Both have a keen spirit of adventure and forward movement.
Both via the 6th ray, mediated by Mars, are highly idealistic and willing to fight for their values. Both signs influence those who wage war on behalf of their ideals. Although Aries has much been associated with the foot soldier and Sagittarius with the more far-seeing General. Both have ample powers of command, especially when at length, Aries develops clear vision and wide mindedness and Sagittarius develops courage.
Both are crusaders, explorers, adventurers
Both are signs of liberation. Aries liberates through dynamic will and effort, Sagittarius liberates through broad and comprehensive understanding.
Both signs are strongly related to the solar plexus from whence passions and ideals spring. They are equally related to the Ajna centre with its sense of vision and personality direction.
Both are characterized by the spirit of progress and enterprise.
Both move swiftly and tend towards a hopeful energetic facing of all obstacles. There is an inherent spirit of optimism for those born in or under both of these signs.
Both as fire signs are essentially related to self-hood, for fire is the Life. The natives of both signs are therefore both ardent, passionate and on fire to achieve their objectives.
Both signs also are related to the path: Aries to the fiery path or burning ground and Sagittarius to all paths. Sagittarius, it is said, rules the glorification of the path. In the early days of evolution, the natives of both signs tend towards intolerance though Sagittarians more easily develop a wider perspective. In the latter days both signs are characterized by a broad and commanding vision.
Also Aries and Sagittarius are often animated by the religious or philosophical spirit. Under normal circumstances an attitude of onward and ever upward characterizes those born in both signs.
Both are signs of powerful aspiration.
We see that the wild brood mares created in Aries, the rampant thought-form making potential, are a bit like the Stymphalian birds in Sagittarius whose destructive nature is also related to the though-form making potential, turned destructive.
Missing or Weak Links Between Aries and Sagittarius
(to be completed)