Tapestry of the Gods
by Michael D. Robbins (c)
Taurus & Capricorn
Important Foundational Relationships
Important Foundational Relationships
Taurus In Comparison With Capricorn 1. The Bull 1. The Crocodile; the Goat; the Unicorn 2. Esoteric Mantram: I see, and when the eye is opened, all is illumined. 2. Esoteric Mantram: Lost am I in light supernal, yet on that light I turn my back. 3. Exoteric/Evolutionary Mantram: And the Word said: Let struggle be undismayed. 3. Exoteric/Evolutionary Mantram: And the Word said: Let ambition rule and the door stand wide. 4. Quality of Light: The penetrating Light of the Path 4. Quality of Light: The Light of Initiation 5. Element: Earth Sign 5. Element: Earth Sign 6. Fixed Cross 6. Cardinal Cross 7. Transmits R4 constellationally 7. Transmits R1, R3 and R7 constellationally 8. Secondarily,(assuredly, but not exclusively), Taurus transmits R5 and R1 through Venus and Vulcan—its two planetary rulers on three levels—exoteric, esoteric and hierarchical. 8. Secondarily, (assuredly, but not exclusively) Capricorn transmits R3 and R5 through Saturn and Venus—its two planetary rulers on three levels—exoteric, esoteric and hierarchical. 9. Color: deep blue 9. Color: green 10. Creative Hierarchy number III (unmanifested), characterized by “Light thro’ Knowledge” 10. Creative Hierarchy number V (manifested). Human Personality, the Crocodiles, Makara—the Mystery 11. Associated with the de-glamorizing second initiation and the ‘ego-shattering’, shroud-splitting, intuition-invoking (EA 205-206) fourth initiation. The blinding light of the third initiation and the Vulcanian destruction of the first also suggest a Taurean relationship to these degrees. There is, as well, a possible relationship with the revelatory fifth—revelation in the blazing “light of day” (cf. R&I 644) 11. Associated with the first five initiations: the soul/Self-revealing, soul-law-imposing, Christ-birthing first; the emotion-controlling, ‘un-capsized’, ‘water-crossing’ second; the soul-illumined, personality-transfiguring, three-aspect-synthesizing third; the isolation-inducing, world-renouncing fourth; and the supernally-lighted, mountain-peak-revelatory fifth. Saturn (ruling Capricorn) does not follow a man onto the Cardinal Cross.
12. Associated with the form-building throat center and the form-envisioning and registering ajna center. A sacral center connection is also reasonable, as Taurus is one of the major signs of sex, and is related to the tangibility of the physical form—created through the instrumentality of the sacral center. As Vulcan is associated with the “heart of the sun” (the correspondence of which is the heart within the head) Taurus must be correlated, as it must with the solar plexus, because “aspirational idealism in its highest possible expression is also achieved in Taurus” (EA 391), and the solar plexus is the center of aspiration. For completion, fourth ray Taurus, is numerically related to the four-petalled base center and the heart chakra—the fourth!
12. Capricorn can be reasonably associated with the clear-seeing, forcefully-penetrating, powerfully directing ajna and brow centers, and the ‘dominating’, all-controlling crown center. Capricorn must be connected to the magically materializing throat and sacral centres via the third and seventh rays (resonant to both centers). The humility-inducing centers at the knees are also indicated. Also associated with Capricorn are the central “jewels” in all the chakras. 13. The zodiacal signs influence the Monad of every human being (EA 411, 637, TCF 1191); the influence from Taurus endows it with a portion of the “Greatest Light” which is resident within Shamballa—the place of unfettered enlightenment. Taurus endows the Monad with its inherent omniscience relative to the human energy system 13. The zodiacal signs influence the Monad of every human being (EA 411, 637, TCF 1191); the influence from Capricorn causes the Monad (even in immersion) to be guided by Shamballic and Logoic Law. There are lines which the Monad may not cross as it ‘super-vises’ its own Self-extension. It must leave its fragment ‘free within limits’; free-will (of a relative kind) must not be violated. The initiatory power, flowing through Monad from Capricorn, endows the Monad-in-extension with the power to face every obstacle and re-ascend to its source. This re-ascent is initiation. 14. Within the Triad—Taurus is associated principally with buddhi as it bestows wisdom and the “clear cold light” of pure reason which is resonant to the “Greatest Light” of the monad. There is some association with atma as well, because Taurus and Vulcan are resonant to and expressive of Shamballa. 14. Within the Triad—Capricorn is most associated with atma (first triadal aspect) and higher manas (third triadal aspect). Capricorn transmits the first ray which relates it to the will and law emanating from the atmic plane. Capricorn transmits the third ray, as well, which relates it not only to higher manas but, again, to atma, for the atmic plane is the third systemic plane, and is a plane of both law/will and mind—the atmic mind—God’s mind as directly expressive of God’s will/law. Capricorn is less related to buddhi, though it is the sign admitting (via hierarchical Venus) into the buddhic dimension known as Hierarchy. 15. In relation to the Solar Angel, and the soul-consciousness (and causal body) through which it expresses—Taurus governs the causal body considered as a ‘treasury of transpersonal quality’ garnered from personal experience in the three lower worlds. Taurus is associated with soul-light and, through Vulcan, with the Jewel in the Lotus and the light emanating from that Jewel. 15. In relation to the Solar Angel, and the soul-consciousness (and causal body) through which it expresses—Capricorn can be understood as the will of the Solar Angel to master its personality, through total soul-infusion leading to transfiguration and subsequent crucifixion. Karmic confrontation with residual darkness is enforced from ‘above’, and the power to transcend matter bestowed. The will aspect of the Solar Angel is strongly asserted, leaving the responsive personality no choice but elevation. (cf. EP II 174) 16. Within the Personality—Taurus can be identified with the luminosity and determination of the mental nature, for Taurus facilitates the state called the “mind held stead in the light”; with the strong desires, passions, incentives, aspirations of the astral nature; with the pranic vitality of the etheric nature; and, often, with the tamasic inertia of the dense physical nature. Taurus is especially related to the astral vehicle. (cf. EA 92, 380) (The vehicular focus and its degree of prominence, depends upon the stage of evolutionary development.) 16. Within the Personality—Capricorn can be identified with the concretizing, regulatory and disciplining processes of the lower mental nature; with processes which focus, control and deepen the astral nature; with organizational and co-ordinative processes within the etheric vehicle; and the with maintenance and survival of the dense physical vehicle—of which Capricorn represents the density. (The vehicular focus and its degree of prominence, depends upon the stage of evolutionary development.) 17. Stage within a Preliminary Fourfold Meditative Process: Magnetization 17. Stage of Meditative Consciousness: Initiation 18. The Choice of Values (Desires) 18. The Crisis of Initiation characterized by the quality of Expansion
Wider Relationships: Cosmic and Systemic
Taurus In Comparison With Capricorn 1. Expressive of the third aspect of divinity because of its identification with light, but of the second aspect through association with the principles of consciousness and of wisdom. The first aspect is distributed through its ruling planet Vulcan. 1. Expressive primarily of the first and third aspects of divinity. “CAPRICORN. This is the constellation by means of which comes the conquering will which releases from form life and initiates the man into the kingdom wherein the will aspect (not the soul aspect) of divinity expresses itself.” (EA 620) Capricorn is the major transmitter of the seventh ray which is related to the first aspect. “The seventh ray is, in the last analysis, the focussed differentiated energy of Ray One as it expresses the will of the first aspect of divinity on earth…” (EA 138) “the third and fifth rays work pre-eminently through this sign, embodying the third major aspect of divinity, active intelligence plus that of its subsidiary power, the fifth Ray of Mind.” (EA 164) 2. Cosmically, preeminently associated with the Pleiades. “…the constellation Taurus, the Bull, being found in the Pleiades.” (EA 111) “Aquarius relates humanity to the Pleiades and therefore to Taurus in an unusual manner.” (EA 200) “There is at this time, owing to the influx of the Shamballa force, the establishing of a peculiar relation or alignment between the constellation, Taurus (with its own specific alignment with the Pleiades and Great Bear) the planet, Pluto, and our Earth.” (EA 376) “A new light enters in. The Seven Sisters play their part (the Pleiades are in Taurus, the first sign of the Fixed Cross) and then three lights shine forth. And thus one radiant sun appears.” (EA 562) 2. Related cosmically to the Pleiades. “…from these three (The Pleiades, Capricorn, Mercury. A.A.B.) Man takes a nature which is his today. Son of the Mother, born from the tomb and showing after birth the light which he has taken from them all.” (EA 433, also 427-428) Capricorn is necessarily related to the Great Bear because, like Aries, and Leo, it transmits the first ray. (cf. EA 417) Capricorn, the “great sign of initiation” (EA 173) is almost certainly related to Sirius, “the great star of initiation.” (EA 197) Venus completes a triangle. 3. Three Constellations Connected with Taurus: a) Orion—the Hunter; b) Eridanus—“The River of the Judge”; c) Auriga—the Charioteer (LOH 47-48) 3. Three Constellations Connected with Capricorn: a) Sagitta—the Arrow; b) Aquila—the Eagle; c) Delphinus—the Dolphin (LOH 175-176)
Relationships Between Three Levels of Planetary Rulers,
and Planets in Exaltation, Fall and Detriment
Taurus In Comparison With Capricorn 1. Venus is the exoteric ruler of Taurus. 1. Venus is the hierarchical ruler of Capricorn. 2. Vulcan is the esoteric and hierarchical ruler of Taurus. 2. Vulcan has special power in the third decanate of Capricorn. 3. The Moon is exalted in Taurus. 3. The Moon is in detriment in Capricorn. 4. Mars is in detriment in Taurus. 4. Mars is exalted in Capricorn.
Subtle Relationships Between Rays,
Zodiacal and Planetary Energies
Taurus In Comparison With Capricorn 1. Taurus transmits the fourth ray constellationally. 1. Capricorn is the fourth sign of the zodiac on the clock-wise wheel—hence, resonant with the fourth ray (especially through its rulership over ‘for-m’ and establishment). Venus, the hierarchical ruler of Capricorn, may have some higher fourth ray associations—harmony and beauty. Mars (exalted in Capricorn) is a major planet of conflict, so it is difficult not to think that Mars has some strong fourth ray association—perhaps within its personality vehicles. “The theme of that ray is "Harmony through Conflict" and it is the lower aspect of the ray energy, producing conflict which has hitherto controlled, and is climaxing now through the impetus of the new incoming Shamballa force.” (EA 328) 2. Taurus is the second sign of the zodiac, and has, therefore, numerical affinity with the number two, and with the second ray. If numbering is begun with Pisces (which the Tibetan demonstrates as possible), then Taurus is the eleventh sign on the clockwise wheel, hence resonant with the second ray. 2. Venus, the hierarchial ruler of Capricorn, is “pure love-wisdom”, and hence, transmits the second ray. (EA 281) 3. Taurus, the twelfth sign on the clockwise wheel, is numerologically resonant to the number three, and, hence, to the third ray. Further, counting by polarities (Aries-Libra-Taurus-Scorpio-Gemini-etc.), Taurus is third in order, hence resonant to the third ray. Further, within the three “cosmic decanates”, Taurus, Scorpio, Pisces—Taurus is associated with the Buddha and the “light”, and obviously upholds a connection with the third ray—Scorpio being related to the first, and Pisces to the second. (cf. EA 204, 487).
3. Capricorn transmits the third ray, constellationally. In addition, Capricorn is the third sign of the zodiac on the clockwise wheel, beginning number with Pisces. This numerical fact reinforces the relationship of Capricorn to the third ray. Saturn is the exoteric and hierarchical ruler of Capricorn and transmits the third ray monadically (EPI 421), and, probably, through its soul. Mars, exalted in Capricorn, participates as the astral body in the constitution of a great third ray Entity (EPII 99).
4. Venus is the exoteric ruler of Taurus and transmits the fifth ray.
4. Capricorn may, in some subtle matter, transmits the fifth ray (independently of its hierarchial ruler Venus). Ray 5.—Concrete Knowledge or Science, under the influence of Capricorn, focussed through Venus, which will enable the man to take initiation.” (EA 357) Also, “Capricorn is an earth sign and because the third and fifth rays work pre-eminently through this sign, embodying the third major aspect of divinity, active intelligence plus that of its subsidiary power, the fifth Ray of Mind. These pour through Capricorn to Saturn and to Venus and so reach our planet, the Earth.” (EA 164) Note the word, “through.” Venus, of course, is the hierarchical ruler of Capricorn, and transmits the fifth ray. Saturn is associated with the concrete mind (concretion pertains to the fifth ray). Mars, exalted in Capricorn, rules “science” and the “five senses) (EA 215) and, therefore, is related to the fifth ray, transmitting it, conceivably, through its Monad.
5. Venus is “pure love-wisdom” and, therefore, can be seen as transmitting the second ray (probably as the personality ray) (cf. EA 281) (TCF 369)“…the second ray is the ray at present of the planetary Logos” (DINA II 210) 5. See #2 above. 6. Venus is the “home of the planetary Logos of the sixth Ray” (EA 595) thus transmits the sixth ray, probably monadically, just as Uranus, with its first ray Monad, is the “home of fire electric” (TCF 1154) 6. Venus, the hierarchical ruler of Capricorn, transmits the sixth ray, probably monadically. (EA 595). Mars (exalted in Capricorn) transmits the sixth ray 7. Vulcan, the esoteric and hierarchical ruler of Taurus, transmits the first ray. 7. Capricorn transmits the first ray, constellationally. Capricorn is also the tenth sign on the reversed wheel, hence numerologically associated with the number one and, by numerical affinity, with the first ray. Saturn, the exoteric and esoteric ruler, is a strong transmitter of the first ray. (EA 450, 621). Mars, exalted in Capricorn, teaches “those whose work lies along the lines of the destroyer”, hence must transmit the first ray. (TCF 1179) 8. Vulcan is associated with the “heart of the sun” (EA 393) and, hence, with the second ray. 8. See #2 above. 9. Vulcan may be involved in the direct transmission the fourth ray (DN 91—depending upon how this citation is understood), and, in any case, is connected strongly to the fourth kingdom (whether human or mineral, depending on the mode of counting); the fourth scheme (the Earth Scheme); and the fourth initiation within the Human Kingdom. 9. See #1 above. 10. Vulcan, “the synthesis of matter” (TCF 597) is ruler of the mineral kingdom, and, as the “fashioner”, is closely associated with the concretizing forces of the fifth ray. (R&I 597) 10. See #4 above. 11. Vulcan has resonance with the seventh ray through the principle of rhythm. Vulcan’s seventh ray associations are clearly related to the rhythmic cycles of the Moon. 11. Capricorn transmits the seventh ray constellationally. Saturn has strong seventh ray associations through that fact that it is the “logoic physical permanent atom” in relation to the cosmic physical plane (TCF 406), hence strongly involved in the manifestation of the cosmic physical plane. As well, Vulcan is powerful in Capricorn (third decanate) and transmits the first ray. 12. The Moon, exalted in Taurus, is a veil for the transmission of the fourth ray. 12. See #1 above. 13. The Moon, exalted in Taurus, is closely associated with the third ray and the third aspect of divinity. (EA 280) 13. See #3 above. 14. The Moon also is related to the seventh ray, through its (the Moon’s) rulership of the seventh manifested Creative Hierarchy, and, in general, through its association with the dense physical plane—the lowest part of the seventh plane. 14. See #11 above. General Qualitative Comparisons, Contrasts and Pragmatic Descriptors
General Qualitative Comparisons, Contrasts
and Pragmatic Descriptors
Taurus In Comparison With Capricorn 1. The Buddha 1. The Ancient of Days—Sanat Kumara 2. The Illuminator 2. The Initiator 3. The Word of God and the Will of God 3. The Will of God 4. The Bourgeoisie 4. The Ruling Class 5. The exaltation of the personality and its dominance, symbolized by the exalted Moon 5. Impersonality towards the personality, symbolized by the Moon in detriment 6. The ajna center 6. The brow center (distinct from the ajna center) 7. The light of the ajna center 7. The power of the ajna center—not excluding light—symbolized by the horn of the Unicorn. 8. “Taurus: Desire—Incentive—Progress” (EA 247) 8. “Synthesis—Initiation—Attainment” (EA 247) 9. “Taurus—Desire—the incentive to evolutionary unfoldment in the human kingdom” (EA 495) 9. “Capricorn—Illumination—the liberation of the initiate” (EA 495) 10. Fire in the Eye: “the point of radiant fire which shine within the eye” (EA 594) 10. Fire on the Mountain: “the point of radiant fire…which burns upon the mountain top” (EA 594) 11. Evolution: “Taurus.—Incentive behind evolution (Impulse). Desire for experience, for satisfaction. The Light of Knowledge (EA 259) 11. Initiation: “Capricorn.—Incentive behind initiation (Service). Desire for liberation. Service desire. The Light of Life (EA 259) 12. The “Light of Life” (EA 332) 12. “Light Supernal” (EA 173) 13. Knowledge: Taurus is the custodian of the “light of knowledge” (EA 260) 13. Initiation: Capricorn is the representative of the “light of initiation” (EA 260) 14. Taurus is associated with “the illumination which wisdom confers.” (EXH 465) 14. Capricorn is associated with “Light Supernal” (EA 654) 15. The Mystery or Secret of Taurus: “Taurus—Guards the secret of light and confers illumination upon the initiate.” (EA 165 15. The Mystery or Secret of Capricorn: “Capricorn—Guards the secret of the soul itself and this it reveals to the initiate at the time of the third initiation. This is sometimes called the “secret of the hidden glory.” (EA 165) 16. The Buddha—the “secret of revelation” (EA 315) 16. The Christ—the light of the Transfiguration” revealing “glory and transcendent mystery” (EA 315) 17. Horn Symbolism in Taurus: “Taurus, the up-turned horns of the Bull with the circle below, depicting the push of man, the Bull of God, towards the goal of illumination and the emergence of the soul from bondage with the two horns (duality) protecting the ‘eye of light’ in the centre of the Bull’s forehead; this is ‘the single eye’ of the New Testament which makes the ‘whole body to be full of light.’” (EA 154) “…the horn of plenty” (EA 154) 17. Horn Symbolism in Capricorn: “…Capricorn, the Goat, related particularly and closely to Aries, but hiding (as an esoteric blind) the symbolism of the Unicorn in which the two horns and the single eye are blended and depicted by the long straight horn of the unicorn in the centre of the forehead.” (EA 154) “…the horn of life” (EA 154) 18. Where the Bull Leads: “The Bull leads into the places of desire in search of ‘wrathful satisfaction.’ This is the red of greed and anger, changing eventually into the golden light of illumination.” (EA 157) 18. Where the Goat Leads: “The Goat leads us into arid ways in search of food and water. This is the ‘need for green,’ but the Goat is equal also to climbing to the mountain top.” (EA 157) 19. What the Bull Becomes: “The Bull becomes the bestower of light, and the darkness of the earlier cycle is lightened by the Bull.” (EA 157) 19. What the Goat Becomes: “The Goat becomes the Unicorn, and leads to victory. The Crocodile, the Goat and the Unicorn depict three stages of man’s unfoldment.” (EA 157) 20. The Door Opened by Taurus: “Taurus opens the door into the Hierarchy when the significance of Gemini and Leo is understood and the first two initiations can therefore he taken.” (EA 157) 20. The Door Opened by Capricorn: “Capricorn opens the door into the Hierarchy in a higher aspect when the last three initiations can be undergone and the significance of Scorpio and of Virgo is understood.” (EA 157) 21. Taurus on the Ordinary Wheel—Onward Movement: “that reaction to desire and that onward rush and powerful movement which distinguishes the evolutionary progress of the individual, working under the impulse of desire. 21. Capricorn on the Ordinary Wheel—Density: “Capricorn marks the point of greatest density and concrete expression and shows the life divine as deeply imbedded in substance. This is the true state of death as far as the life is concerned; it is captivity in form. 22. In response to Taurus (MSE, ASE) the aspirant “begins his career—objectively and in full consciousness—… and ‘on the wings of aspiration proceeds towards Virgo”…(EA380) 22. In response to Capricorn, (ASE) the initiate “subdues matter, form or concrete expression to divine uses and purposes, and thus demonstrates the triumph and the potency of the Christ life” (EA 380). 23. The Venusian mind expressing itself in Taurus: “In Taurus, this means the mind expressing itself through intelligent desire, for that is the goal of knowledge for ordinary man.” (EA 244) 23. The Venusian mind expressing itself in Capricorn: “In Capricorn, it stands for spiritual love, expressing itself perfectly when the work in Taurus and Libra has been accomplished.” (EA 244) 24. “Taurus—Desire—the incentive to evolutionary unfoldment in the human kingdom” (EA 495) 24. 25. Taurus—for the Undeveloped Man: “Selfish desire. The Light of Earth.” (EA 332) 25. Capricorn—for the Undeveloped Man: “The earthbound soul.” (EA 333) 26. Taurus—for the Advanced Man: “Aspiration. The Light of Love.” (EA 332) 26. Capricorn—for the Advanced Man: “The one who crosses the water. Fluid.” (EA 333) 27. Taurus—for the Disciple/Initiate: “Illumined living. The Light of Life.” (EA 332) 27. Capricorn—for the Disciple/Initiate: “The Conqueror of death. Initiated.” (EA 333) 28. Yearly Opportunity in Relation to Taurus: When the Sun is in Taurus, an individual may cultivate 28. Yearly Opportunity in Relation to Capricorn: When the Sun is in Capricorn, an individual may cultivate achievement and mastery over all that opposes that achievement with respect to a selected task. 29. The Life of the Christ from the Taurean perspective: “Christ said (as have all the Sons of God Who know the true significance of the Fixed Cross), ‘I am the Light of the world,’ and he added, ‘if thine eye be single thy whole body shall he full of light.’ Taurus is, as you have heard, the Mother of Illumination, and [Page 566] the "eye of the Bull" is the symbol of the eye to which Christ made reference.” (EA 565-566) 29. The Life of the Christ from a Capricornian Perspective: “This sign marks the point of concretion and of crystallisation which results eventually in the death of the form. This we see happening today. In His triumph over death and in His resurrection into life, Christ indicated the deep mystery of Capricorn.” (EA 567) 30. The conflict (under the constellationally transmitted fourth ray) between the solar and lunar natures 30. The willful suppression of the lower nature. (The Moon is in detriment in Capricorn) 31. Transmutation 31. Translation (related to transfiguration) 32. Dissipating glamor through intense light 32. Dispelling illusion in the “Light Supernal” 33. The depths of aloneness in the dark processes preceding the fourth initiation 33. Exaltation within the synthetic mountain-top vision of the third initiation 34. Attachment—the powerful magnetism of the second aspect of divinity 34. Detachment—the tendencies of the first and third aspects of divinity 35. Acquisition 35. Sacrifice 36. Tamas 36. Rajas 37. More softness (especially towards the form)—arising from Venus rulership 37. Hardness—in relation to Saturn 38. The Laws of Nature 38. The Laws of God (Soul Laws and Systemic Laws) 39. The love of the earth 39. Driven to place a conquering foot upon earth 40. The “plains” (EA 384) 40. “Rock” (EA 384) 41. The plains 41. The mountains 42. The fullness of Wisdom 42. The limitations of convention (ESE, MSE) 43. The destroyer of limiting structures via Vulcan 43. The upholder of limiting structures 44. The abundance of the Life Force—Prana 44. The bringer of death through crystallization 45. Powerful expression of the sexual instinct 45. The suppression or regulation of the sexual instinct—or real excess 46. The conquering of the sexual instinct. Hercules rides the Bull. The black bull is transformed into the white (purified) bull. The sacral center is raised to the throat center ruled by Taurus. 46. Satyriasis. Extreme, willful, loveless pursuit of sex 47. Enlightenment 47. The darkness of materiality 48. The darkened, instinctual density of form life 48. The light of spiritual elevation—the light upon the mountain top 49. Natural joy and fulfillment 49. Gloom, depression, melancholia 50. Full emotional response 50. Suppression of emotional response 51. At home with nature 51. The urge to transcend natural life 52. Aspiring towards the light 52. The “earth-bound soul” (ESE, MSE) 53. Captivation by the senses 53. Denial of the senses 54. The life of the senses (ESE, MSE) 54. Participation in the super-sensuous life of the transfigured initiate 55. Love of beauty 55. Subjugation of all allure 56. Often attractive and magnetic 56. Often cold, distant, forbidding 57. Indulgent, comfort-loving, easy-going (ESE, MSE) 57. Disciplined, rigorous, strict (MSE, ASE) 58. Laziness (the inertia of matter) 58. Ambition, mobilization 59. Slowness (unless already in motion) 59. Speed (unless crystallized and rigid) 60. A slow approach to the Spiritual Path—until much later and in motion 60. Rapid approach to the Spiritual Path Similarities and Points of Cooperation Between the Influences
Similarities and Points of Cooperation
Between the Zodiacal Influences.Both relate to the ajna center, to vision and psychism through the eye
Both of these signs, Taurus and Capricorn, are earth signs and evidence great practicality in dealing with everyday matters. They are oriented towards stability and accomplishment upon the earthly plane, especially in the earlier days of evolution.
The business community frequently offers an outlet for these practical energies. In an important way, both of these energies are building energies. Taurus is ever-known as the builder and the 7th ray of Capricorn, through which sign it comes most powerfully, is the ray of the builder. Both signs are therefore signs of tangible, concrete manifestations and help to provide that material basis which is required for stable and predictable living.
The planet Vulcan, as esoteric or hierarchical ruler of Taurus, and the planet Saturn as exoteric and esoteric ruler of Capricorn, both confer rhythm and repetitive stability. Taken together, these two signs provide the financial and legal power of the "establishment."
They also share great resistance to change and rigidity in the face of the new.
On a lower turn of the spiral they function through the principal of repetition providing stability. Both are powerfully connected with the building of thoughtforms.
Taurus is always associated with the throat centre, that centre which gives form to idea and creates concretely upon the mental plane and Capricorn, via its 3rd ray and 7th ray the 2 rays of embodiment, is also closely associated with that centre.
Both signs therefore contribute to the concreteness of life, Taurus and Capricorn are both ruled by Venus.
Venus the exoteric ruler of Taurus and the Hierarchical ruler of Capricorn and this lends a 5th ray influence to their combined effect.
Taurus and Capricorn are both ruled by Venus. Venus the exoteric ruler of Taurus and the hierarchical ruler of Capricorn lends a 5th ray influence to their combined effect.
In many ways these two signs cement and crystallize a great illusion and can be considered related to the forces of obstruction which are indeed materialistic forces but on a higher turn of the spiral, both of these signs are extraordinarily related to light. Taurus to the light of illumination and Capricorn to the light of initiation witnessed upon the mountain top.
Interestingly the two planets intensely associated with light, Vulcan and Venus, are rulers of both signs. Vulcan is the esoteric and hierarchical ruler of Taurus and Vulcan rules the 3rd decanate of Capricorn.
Just as Taurus and Sagittarius contributed to synthetic vision, Taurus and Capricorn, in the more highly evolved disciple or initiate do so even more completely. The third eye is the eye of synthesis and from the mountain of initiation ruled by Capricorn, synthetic vision is conferred.
Both signs are also related to that which has been called the diamond soul or the perfection of the causal body. Taurus ruling all things precious and of value is inevitably connected to the priceless jewel in the lotus which represents the completion of the Temple of Solomon.
Capricorn with its connection to the mineral kingdom, further accentuated by its distribution of the 1st and 7th rays and itself being the sign of all-crystallizing processes, is also inevitably connected to the jewel. That jewel has been called the diamond and the hardest of all gems is certainly related to this hardest of all signs.
Thus although there is a materialistic bias to these two signs on the lower turn of the spiral, on the higher turn they represent the completion of the process which builds the egoic lotus and they are connected with the radiance of light which pours forth from the perfected jewel in the lotus.
Remember again how the theme of light is found in the spiritual mantrams for both Taurus and Capricorn. Taurus, "I see and when the eye is single, all is illumined." And Capricorn, "Lost am I in light supernal yet on that light I turn my back."
So these signs, earthy though they be, demonstrate as signs associated with high initiation. They are also united by a close relation to the function of will, namely spiritual will which is further strengthened by their close relation to Vulcan.
The Taurean once under the influence of Vulcan, moulds all personality reasons according to the spiritual will, bringing the personality into shape and right form. The Capricornian, especially in that stage of development which is near the 3rd initiation, also wields spiritual will with great power.
This is further accentuated by the power of Saturn. Vulcan and Saturn, in alignment, create an irresistible disciplining and shaping force. So just as Taurus/Capricorn represent the material establishment on a lower turn of the spiral, they represent the hierarchical establishment and divine law and wisdom on a higher turn of the spiral. They produce together the pressure which shapes the diamond and the pressure which brings all personality living in line with the spiritual will via their dual rulership by Venus exoterically in
the case of Taurus and hierarchically in the case of Capricorn, the Ajna centre is a point of focus for each sign. The ajna centre is a point of illumined and synthetic vision for the Taurean and of vision, illumination and power for the Capricornian initiate. The wisdom eye becomes fully empowered in the case of the advanced Capricornian and the state of the unicorn of God is reached.
Although in the early days the Capricornian can be the earth bound soul and the Taurean can be immersed in selfish desire, later they share a high degree of luminosity. Through the potency of these two signs, the light and power of the soul, indeed pervades earthly substance and walks the earth in human form.
The higher types of Capricornian and Taurean individuals share the capacity to detach from and subdue the restless emotional nature for the Taurean masters desire and the Capricornian becomes the one who crosses the water onto the safe and dry land —that land of the rising sun beyond the veil of illusion and the sea of glamour.
It can be seen how powerful is the 5th ray in these two signs and how much they contribute to establishing stably the human being, as a member of the 5th kingdom of nature. They contribute to the hardening process, the firing process through which the human being is safely confirmed as a soul and has thus become truly human.
What amazes me is that how many more significant similarities there may be than differences. In fact, it may be quite true that not only people are more alike than they are different but that the signs themeslves maybe more alike than they are different. I think the capacity to move towards synthesis is the ability to see more and more things in common. Taken together the will of God is enunciated through the word and divine sound creates the divine manifestation according to divine law.