Tapestry of the Gods
by Michael D. Robbins (c)
Taurus & Scorpio
Important Foundational Relationships
Important Foundational Relationship
Taurus In Comparison With Scorpio 1. The Bull 1. The Scorpion 2. Esoteric Mantram: I see, and when the eye is opened, all is illumined. 2. Warrior I am, and from the battle I emerge triumphant. 3. Exoteric/Evolutionary Mantram: And the Word said: Let struggle be undismayed. 3. And the Word said: Let Maya flourish and deception rule. 4. Quality of Light: The penetrating Light of the Path 4. The Light of Day 5. Element: Earth Sign 5. Water Sign 6. Fixed Cross 6. Fixed Cross 7. Transmits R4 constellationally 7. Transmits R4 constellationally. Possibly R1 is a subtle constellational transmission. 8. Taurus as a distributor of the fourth ray: “Taurus (Ray IV) is not active exoterically as the fourth ray is not in manifestation at this time.” (EA 491) 8. Scorpio as a distributor of the fourth ray: “Through Scorpio, Ray IV is focussing esoterically the work of the world disciples, preparing them for initiation.” (EA 491) 9. Secondarily,(assuredly, but not exclusively), Taurus transmits R5 and R1 through Venus and Vulcan—its two planetary rulers on three levels—exoteric, esoteric and hierarchical. 9. Secondarily, (assuredly, but not exclusively) Scorpio transmits R6, R1 and R4 through Mars, Pluto and Mercury—its three planetary rulers on three levels—exoteric, esoteric and hierarchical. 10. Color: deep blue 10. Color: crimson, dark red. Black is important. 11. Creative Hierarchy number III (unmanifested), characterized by “Light thro’ Knowledge” 11. Creative Hierarchy number IX (manifested), the Human Hierarchy, the “Initiates” 12. Associated with the de-glamorizing second initiation and the ‘ego-shattering’, shroud-splitting, intuition-invoking (EA 205-206) fourth initiation. The blinding light of the third initiation and the Vulcanian destruction of the first also suggest a Taurean relationship to these degrees. There is, as well, a possible relationship with the revelatory fifth—revelation in the blazing “light of day” (cf. R&I 644) 12. Associated with the body-transmuting, appetite-regulating, first initiation; the purifying, emotion-transforming, desire-subduing second initiation; and the mind-transfiguring, personality-conquering third initiation. Scorpio prepares “the disciple for the first, second and third initiations. After the third initiation, its peculiar testing potency is no longer felt.” (EA 199) Even so, the fourth degree is ruled by the fourth ray, and bring buddhi powerfully into the life, as does fourth-ray Scorpio, powerfully resonant to the buddhic plane.
13. Associated with the form-building throat center and the form-envisioning and registering ajna center. A sacral center connection is also reasonable, as Taurus is one of the major signs of sex, and is related to the tangibility of the physical form—created through the instrumentality of the sacral center. As Vulcan is associated with the “heart of the sun” (the correspondence of which is the heart within the head) Taurus must be correlated, as it must with the solar plexus, because “aspirational idealism in its highest possible expression is also achieved in Taurus” (EA 391), and the solar plexus is the center of aspiration. For completion, fourth ray Taurus, is numerically related to the four-petalled base center and the heart chakra—the fourth!
13. Scorpio is correlated principally to the three sub-diaphragmatic centers, sub-ruled by Mars and Pluto: to the attracting and repelling, desiring, aspiring, solar plexus center; to the instinctually insistent, sexually-unitive sacral center; to the system-empowering, hindrance-destroying, will-impelling center at the base of the spine. Because the ajna center is ruled by fourth ray Mercury (from a point in time near the third initiation and following), and because Mercury is the hierarchical ruler of fourth ray Scorpio, Scorpio can be reasonably associated as an influence upon the drama of contrasting polarities staged in relation to the ajna center.
14. The zodiacal signs influence the Monad of every human being (EA 411, 637, TCF 1191); the influence from Taurus endows it with a portion of the “Greatest Light” which is resident within Shamballa—the place of unfettered enlightenment. Taurus endows the Monad with its inherent omniscience relative to the human energy system 14. The zodiacal signs influence the Monad of every human being (EA 411, 637, TCF 1191); the influence from Scorpio is potent indeed, because the entire fourth manifested Creative Hierarchy (the Hierarchy of Human Monads) is ruled by Scorpio. Scorpio guarantees that the Monad will not remain trapped in immersion, but will conquer its apparent captor (lower matter), and, thus, achieve its proper function in relation to the buddhic plane as the mediating kingdom between the three higher and three lower manifested Creative Hierarchies. 15. Within the Triad—Taurus is associated principally with buddhi as it bestows wisdom and the “clear cold light” of pure reason which is resonant to the “Greatest Light” of the monad. There is some association with atma as well, because Taurus and Vulcan are resonant to and expressive of Shamballa. 15. In relation to the Triad—Scorpio (the sign in which that great exemplar of the first ray, Hercules, achieved his triumph) must be understood as having an influence upon the first aspect of the Triad—atma, the spiritual will. Scorpio (esoterically during this world period) may well transmit the first ray. In Scorpio, the threefold Illusion is conquered, and, buddhi (the intuition) is the conqueror. Buddhi rules upon the fourth plane, and Scorpio transmits the fourth ray constellationally. Scorpio seems less related to higher manas, though it is a triple sign. 16. In relation to the Solar Angel, and the soul-consciousness (and causal body) through which it expresses—Taurus governs the causal body considered as a ‘treasury of transpersonal quality’ garnered from personal experience in the three lower worlds. Taurus is associated with soul-light and, through Vulcan, with the Jewel in the Lotus and the light emanating from that Jewel. 16. In relation to the Solar Angel, and the soul-consciousness (and causal body) through which it expresses—Scorpio can be understood as the will of the Solar Angel to drastically purify its personality, when that personality has, at length, demonstrated its readiness for the process. Under Virgo, the personality has been consistently improved; under Scorpio, the Solar Angel (“a most efficient surgeon”—(DINA I 232)) reveals all obstruction to soul-infusion, and (with the help of its now desperate personality) sees to the removal of such obstruction. 17. Within the Personality—Taurus can be identified with the luminosity and determination of the mental nature, for Taurus facilitates the state called the “mind held stead in the light”; with the strong desires, passions, incentives, aspirations of the astral nature; with the pranic vitality of the etheric nature; and, often, with the tamasic inertia of the dense physical nature. Taurus is especially related to the astral vehicle. (cf. EA 92, 380) (The vehicular focus and its degree of prominence, depends upon the stage of evolutionary development.) 17. Within the Personality—Scorpio can be identified with the penetrative and controlling (EA 180) processes of the lower mental nature; with the intensely purgative and emotionally transformational processes of the astral nature; with the general power of the etheric nature (though emotional/mental battles can be devitalizing); and with the fortitude, hardiness and staying-power of the dense physical nature. (The vehicular focus and its degree of prominence, depends upon the stage of evolutionary development.) 18. Stage within a Preliminary Fourfold Meditative Process: Magnetization 18. Stage of Meditative Consciousness: Illumination. “Scorpio—Illumination—The soul triumphs. Experience in Taurus consummated. Astral glamour dissipated. Soul light pours in. The Path of Discipleship. The Disciple.” (EA 228-229) 19. The Choice of Values (Desires) 19. The Crisis of the Battlefield characterized by the quality of Conflict.
Wider Relationships: Cosmic and Systemic
Taurus In Comparison With Scorpio 1. Expressive of the third aspect of divinity because of its identification with light, but of the second aspect through association with the principles of consciousness and of wisdom. The first aspect is distributed through its ruling planet Vulcan. 1. Expressive of the first aspect as it seeks to transmute the third aspect so that the second aspect may emerge—“triumphant”. 2. Cosmically, primarily associated with the Pleiades. “…the constellation Taurus, the Bull, being found in the Pleiades.” (EA 111) “Aquarius relates humanity to the Pleiades and therefore to Taurus in an unusual manner.” (EA 200) “There is at this time, owing to the influx of the Shamballa force, the establishing of a peculiar relation or alignment between the constellation, Taurus (with its own specific alignment with the Pleiades and Great Bear) the planet, Pluto, and our Earth.” (EA 376) “A new light enters in. The Seven Sisters play their part (the Pleiades are in Taurus, the first sign of the Fixed Cross) and then three lights shine forth. And thus one radiant sun appears.” (EA 562) 2. Cosmically, associated primarily with Sirius. “Scorpio is under the influence or inflowing energy of Sirius. This is the great star of initiation because our Hierarchy (an expression of the second aspect of divinity) is under the supervision or spiritual magnetic control of the Hierarchy of Sirius.” (EA 197) Initiation (Sirius) is transformation (Scorpio) “Scorpio is the great constellation which influences the turning point both in the life of humanity and the life of the individual human being. For the first time in the history of both mankind and disciples the energy of Sirius, pouring into the seven groups which form our planetary Hierarchy evokes a response.” (EA 198) “We come now to another triangle, the activity of which produces the manifestation of Hierarchy—the intermediary between Shamballa and Humanity: Scorpio, Sirius and Mars.”(EA 483) 3. Three Constellations Connected with Taurus: a) Orion—the Hunter; b) Eridanus—“The River of the Judge”; c) Auriga—the Charioteer (LOH 47-48) 3. Three Constellations Connected with Scorpio: a) Serpens—the Serpent of Illusion; b) Ophiuchus—the Serpent Handler or Wrestler; c) Hercules—the Sun God/Hero (LOH 153-154)
Relationships Between Three Levels of Planetary Rulers,
and Planets in Exaltation, Fall and Detriment
1. Venus is the exoteric ruler of Taurus. 1. Venus is in detriment in Scorpio. 2. Mars is in detriment in Taurus. 2. Mars is the exoteric and esoteric ruler of Scorpio. 3. Vulcan is the esoteric and hierarchical ruler of Taurus. 3. Is the energy of Vulcan somehow weakened in Scorpio? 4. Is the energy of Pluto somehow weakened in Taurus? 4. Pluto is a kind of ‘special ruler’ in the sign Scorpio. 5. Mercury (called “Buddha”) is closely associated with Taurus, the sign of Gautama the Buddha. 5. Mercury is the hierarchical ruler of Scorpio. 6. The Moon is exalted in Taurus. 6. The Moon falls in Scorpio. 7. Uranus falls in Taurus. 7. Uranus is exalted in Scorpio.
Subtle Relationships Between Rays,
Zodiacal and Planetary Energies
Taurus In Comparison With Scorpio 1. Taurus transmits the fourth ray constellationally. 1. Scorpio transmits the fourth ray, constellationally. Counting by polarities (Aries-Libra-Scorpio-Taurus-etc., ), Scorpio is the fourth sign, hence resonant with the fourth ray. Mercury, the hierarchical ruler of Scorpio, transmits the fourth ray. Mars also seems to be associated with the lower part of the fourth ray—the conflict side. (Note the frequent Mars/Mercury associations, as, for instance, related to kundalini. 2. Taurus is the second sign of the zodiac, and has, therefore, numerical affinity with the number two, and with the second ray. If numbering is begun with Pisces (which the Tibetan demonstrates as possible), then Taurus is the eleventh sign on the clockwise wheel, hence resonant with the second ray. 2. Uranus (exalted in Scorpio) is in line with a great second ray transmission of force from Sirius, and is also one of three planets (Uranus, Jupiter and Venus) which probably participate in the expression of a great second ray Entity (EPII 99) 3. Taurus, the twelfth sign on the clockwise wheel, is numerologically resonant to the number three, and, hence, to the third ray. Further, counting by polarities (Aries-Libra-Taurus-Scorpio-Gemini-etc.), Taurus is third in order, hence resonant to the third ray. Further, within the three “cosmic decanates”, Taurus, Scorpio, Pisces—Taurus is associated with the Buddha and the “light”, and obviously upholds a connection with the third ray—Scorpio being related to the first, and Pisces to the second. (cf. EA 204, 487). 3. Scorpio (like Virgo) is a triple sign, hence related to the third aspect (which it conquers) and to the third ray. Mars participates in the expression of a great third ray Entity (EPII 99) ; Pluto is related to the third ray through stealth and stratagem; Mercury is strongly related to the third ray and may well transmit it via the personality. (EA 280) Uranus, exalted in Scorpio, expresses the third ray. (EA 138, 200) 4. Venus is the exoteric ruler of Taurus and transmits the fifth ray. 4. Scorpio is the fifth sign of the zodiac on the clockwise wheel—numbering from Pisces as one. This gives Scorpio numerical affinity with the fifth ray.. Mars expresses the fifth ray in its relation to science and the five senses. (EA 215) Uranus has strong fifth ray associations through “exoteric science.” (EA 149) 5. Venus is “pure love-wisdom” and, therefore, can be seen as transmitting the second ray (probably as the personality ray) (cf. EA 281) (TCF 369)“…the second ray is the ray at present of the planetary Logos” (DINA II 210) 5. See #2 above. 6. Venus is the “home of the planetary Logos of the sixth Ray” (EA 595) thus transmits the sixth ray, probably monadically, just as Uranus, with its first ray Monad, is the “home of fire electric” (TCF 1154) 6. Scorpio is the sixth sign of the zodiac on the ordinary (clock-wise) wheel, and hence has numerical affinity with the sixth ray. Mars, the exoteric and esoteric ruler, transmits the sixth ray. Pluto, special ruler, has solar plexus associations (EA 78), hence, sixth ray associations. 7. Vulcan, the esoteric and hierarchical ruler of Taurus, transmits the first ray. 7. Scorpio (as its close connection with Hercules implies) is strongly related to the first ray as a constellation as a cosmic decanate. (cf. EA 204, 486-487). This first ray association may emerge more definitely in a future world period. Mars, the exoteric and esoteric ruler of Scorpio, transmits the first ray, because its “School” trains “those whose work is along the lines of the destroyer.” (TCF 1179). It is the first ray which is the Ray of the Destroyer. Pluto, a special ruler in Scorpio, is the “Lord of Death” and transmits the first ray. Uranus, exalted in Scorpio, is the “home of fire electric” and transmits the first ray, almost certainly monadically. (TCF 1154) 8. Vulcan is associated with the “heart of the sun” (EA 393) and, hence, with the second ray. 8. See #2 above. 9. Vulcan may be involved in the direct transmission the fourth ray (DN 91—depending upon how this citation is understood), and, in any case, is connected strongly to the fourth kingdom (whether human or mineral, depending on the mode of counting); the fourth scheme (the Earth Scheme); and the fourth initiation within the Human Kingdom. 9. See #1 above. 10. Vulcan, “the synthesis of matter” (TCF 597) is ruler of the mineral kingdom, and, as the “fashioner”, is closely associated with the concretizing forces of the fifth ray. (R&I 597) 10. See #4 above. 11. Vulcan has resonance with the seventh ray through the principle of rhythm. 11. Uranus, exalted in Scorpio, transmits the seventh ray 12. The Moon, exalted in Taurus, is a veil for the transmission of the fourth ray. 12. See #1 above. 13. The Moon, exalted in Taurus, is closely associated with the third ray and the third aspect of divinity. (EA 280) 13. See #3 above. 14. The Moon also is related to the seventh ray, through its (the Moon’s) rulership of the seventh manifested Creative Hierarchy, and, in general, through its association with the dense physical plane—the lowest part of the seventh plane. 14. See #11 above. General Qualitative Comparisons, Contrasts and Pragmatic Descriptors
General Qualitative Comparisons, Contrasts
and Pragmatic Descriptors
Taurus In Comparison With Scorpio 1. Buddha and His Arhats 4. Mara and her hosts. Mara is the Principle of Illusion, related to “Maya” 2. The Bull 5. The Eagle (EA 639) 3. The Bull of God 6. The Serpent of Evil 4. Light 7. Darkness 5. “Buddha—Taurus.—Illumination through struggle.” (EA 487) 8. “Hercules—Scorpio.—Strength through testing.” (EA 487) 6. The Buddha possessed “the secret of revelation in Taurus” (EA 315) 9. The “secret of directed energy in Scorpio was the source of the strength of Hercules.” (EA 315) 7. The Forces of Light 10. One of the signs under which the Black Lodge works most (Capricorn being the other) 8. Attachment 11. Detachment 32. Taurus upon the Cross of Discipleship: “In Taurus—Desire is transmuted into aspiration, darkness gives place to light and illumination, the eye of the Bull is opened which is the spiritual third eye, or the "single eye" of the New Testament. ‘If thine eye be single,’ said the Christ, ‘thy whole body shall be full of light.’ This single eye takes the place of the two eyes of the personal self. The attention of the man becomes focussed upon spiritual attainment. He treads the Path of Discipleship.” (EA 143) 12. Scorpio upon the Path of Discipleship: “In Scorpio—In this sign, the disciple undergoes those tests which will enable him to take the second initiation and demonstrate that the desire nature is subdued and conquered and that the lower nature is (by being lifted up in the air, i.e. into heaven) capable of reaching the goal for this world period, and that from the earthy foundations of Scorpio the personality can be so tested that it shows fitness for the world service demanded in Aquarius. This is beautifully expressed for us in the legend of Hercules, the Sun-God who overcomes the nine-headed Hydra or serpent of desire by being forced to his knees and from that position of humility lifts up the serpent into the air, and then deliverance comes.” (EA 143-144) 3. The History of Desire in Taurus: “Desire is developed and focussed in Taurus when the man is upon the Mutable Cross and progressing around the zodiac. It is reoriented and repolarised in Taurus when the man has mounted the Fixed Cross and is eventually relinquished in that sign.” (EA 144- 145) 1. Death in Scorpio: “In the polar opposite of Taurus, Scorpio, the personality is humbled and brought to grips with the soul; in that sign the personality is "occultly killed and then resurrected into air and light," in order to become from that moment the servant of the soul.” (EA 145) 9. In Taurus the magician must be able to say: “I seek illumination and am myself the light.” (TWM 548) 13. In Scorpio the magician must be able to say: “Illusion cannot hold me. I am the bird that flies with utter freedom.” (TWM 548) 33. Taurus, on the Mutable and Fixed Crosses: “Taurus.—The Bull of Desire. The light of aspiration and knowledge.” (EA 293) 14. Scorpio on the Mutable and Fixed Crosses: “Scorpio.—The Agent of Deception. The Light of Liberation.” (EA 293) 10. “Taurus—the Bull of Desire.—Material desire rules. (Life.)” (EA 232) 15. “Scorpio—the victory of spiritual desire.—The soul triumphant. (Quality.)” (EA 232) 73. “Taurus—Desire—the incentive to evolutionary unfoldment in the human kingdom” (EA 495) 16. “Scorpio—Aspiration—the key to the testing of the disciple” (EA 495) 11. Desire and Purification:
“The earthly material desires of Taurus…” (EA 223)
17. Desire and Purification:
“…must in due time be brought under the influence of the purifying water in Scorpio.” (EA 223-224)
12. “directed desire…producing manifestation” (EA 230) 18. “the beginning of a new orientation and of discipleship in Scorpio” (EA 230) 13. Taurus, “the symbol of the mad urges of the uncontrolled sex principle” (EA 233) 19. “fundamental tests are applied” (EA 233) 14. Taurus on the Fixed Cross: the repolarization and reorientation of desire (cf. EA 145) 20. Scorpio on the Fixed Cross: “…the personality is humbled and brought to grips with the soul; in that sign the personality is ‘occultly killed and then resurrected into air and light,’ in order to become from that moment the servant of the soul.” (EA 145) 15. Ordinary Wheel Taurus: “Powerful focused desire…” (EA 337) 21. Ordinary Wheel Scorpio: “…leads to death and defeat” (EA 337) 16. Ordinary Wheel Taurus: “The triumph of the lower nature… (EA 337) 22. Ordinary Wheel Scorpio: “…which eventuates in the awakening to satiety and death” (EA 337) 17. Ordinary Wheel Taurus: “The man is a prisoner of desire…” (EA 337) 23. Ordinary Wheel Scorpio: “…and at the moment of consummation knows his prison” (EA 337) 18. Reversed Wheel Taurus: “…over form” (EA 338) 24. Reversed Wheel Scorpio: “The final victory of soul…” (EA 338) 19. Reversed Wheel Taurus: “…demonstrate as life and light…” (EA 338) 25. Reversed Wheel Scorpio: “Death and darkness…” (EA 338) 20. Reversed Wheel Taurus: “…becomes the radiant sun” (EA 338) 26. Reversed Wheel Scorpio: “The dark night of the soul…” (EA 338) 21. Identification with desire 27. The relinquishing of desire (cf. EA 200) 22. Desire becomes… 28. Spiritual aspiration 23. Illumination takes the place of… 29. The “darkness of experience” (EA 200) 24. “Earthly material desires” (EA 224) 30. The “purifying water” (EA 224) 25. “Self-indulgence” (EA 225) 31. The “selfless attitude of the disciple” (EA 225) 26. “attachment to personality desires, likes and dislikes..” (EA 225) 32. “tenacity of soul purpose” (EA 225) 27. Taurus is the dominant stream of energy for average humanity. “In this Cross, Taurus is the Initiator for it ‘impulses the Will,’ producing movement and momentum.” (EA 382) The first ray force of Vulcan sets all things in motion, correlated as it is to the Law of Vibration. 33. Scorpio is the dominant arm upon the Fixed Cross for advanced humanity. “…it is the testing sign for humanity and the one in which the human being reaches the depths or attains the heights.” (EA 381-382) 28. In relation to desire: Desire “is eventually relinquished in that sign”—i.e., Taurus. (EA 145) 34. In relation to desire: “the relinquishing of desire in Scorpio.” (EA 200) 29. “Taurus—Desire—the incentive to evolutionary unfoldment in the human kingdom” (EA 495) 35. “Scorpio—Aspiration—the key to the testing of the disciple” (EA 495) 30. “Taurus-Eve” (EA 639) 36. “Mars-Lupa” (EA 639) 31. The Horizontal Arm of the Fixed Cross: “The horizontal arm is Taurus-Scorpio, indicating that desire for materiality…” (EA 223) 37. The Horizontal Arm of the Fixed Cross: “…is finally superseded by desire for the spiritual values, and this is demonstrated through the tests in Scorpio. (EA 223) 181. Taurus—for the Undeveloped Man: “Selfish desire. The Light of Earth.” (EA 332) 4. Scorpio—for the Undeveloped Man: “Unity of selfishness. The Monster.” (EA 333) 182. Taurus—for the Advanced Man: “Aspiration. The Light of Love.” (EA 332) 5. Scorpio—for the Advanced Man: “Conflict with duality. The Fighter.” (EA 333) 183. Taurus—for the Disciple/Initiate: “Illumined living. The Light of Life.” (EA 332) 6. Scorpio—for the Disciple/Initiate: “Higher Unity. The Disciple.” (EA 333) 116. Yearly Opportunity in Relation to Taurus: When the Sun is in Taurus, an individual may cultivate 7. Yearly Opportunity in Relation to Scorpio: When the Sun is in Scorpio, an individual may cultivate the power to overcome some aspect of his lower nature—through humility, and the use of the analytical mind and intuition. 12. The Life of the Christ from the Taurean perspective: “Christ said (as have all the Sons of God Who know the true significance of the Fixed Cross), ‘I am the Light of the world,’ and he added, ‘if thine eye be single thy whole body shall he full of light.’ Taurus is, as you have heard, the Mother of Illumination, and [Page 566] the "eye of the Bull" is the symbol of the eye to which Christ made reference.” (EA 565-566) 8. The Life of the Christ from a Scorpionic Perspective: “The significance of this sign in the life of Christ has been deleted from The New Testament, but has been preserved for us in the ancient Christian legend that—in the cradle itself—Christ killed or strangled two serpents, thus referring to the pairs of opposites which could no longer control Him.” (EA 566) 32. The force of attraction 38. The force of repulsion 33. The resistance of the personality; resistance to transformation 39. The ‘warrior-ship’ of the soul; the soul as the transformer 34. Taurus rules throat center as the magnet for the sublimation of the sacral energies; materializing the vision through “directed and motivated” speech; the creative work of translating “ideals into words and acts” (cf. 397-398) 40. Scorpio “in which sign the final tests are applied to prove that the energy is flowing freely and without impediment and obstruction between the throat and sacral centres; to show that right direction has been achieved.” “In Scorpio, the man who has mastered his lessons in Taurus must demonstrate that creativity which will work under the inspiration of aspiration and vision and constructively attempt to express the beauty which all forms intrinsically veil, thus bringing to all revelation of that underlying purpose which motivates all events and forms.” (EA 398) 35. Transmutation 41. Transformation 36. Illumination 42. Prepared by testing 37. Speech 43. Silence and depth 60. The sign of illumination 44. Representing the phase of “illumination” in the meditative process 38. Needs to have the intuition awakened 45. More ready access to the intuition 39. Acquisition 46. Sacrifice 40. Gain 47. Loss 41. Inertness, stolidity 48. Passion and intensity 42. The full -lowering of the instinctual nature 49. The transformation of the instinctual nature 43. The exaltation of sexual instinct (FOP) 50. The repression and killing out of the sexual instinct (FOP) 44. The will to live in form 51. The will to die, or leave form 45. Submergence in the earth 52. Death, and rebirth from the earth 46. Wise elevation of sexuality into the light of Wisdom 53. Destructive indulgence in sexuality 47. The light of the celestial realms—Hierarchy the unfettered enlightenment of Shamballa 54. The dens of evil, especially upon the astral plane 48. The unfettered enlightenment of Shamballa 55. The darkness of the infernal realms; the abyss 49. Vitalization: the infusion of prana 56. Vampirism: the draining of prana 50. Vitalizing balm 57. Poison 51. The life force 58. The death force 52. Metabolism 59. Catabolism 53. Fertility 60. Sterility 54. The builder 61. The destroyer 55. Peacefulness, bucolic tranquility (FOP) 62. War and bloodshed 56. Beauty of form 63. Grotesqueness 57. Inertia 64. The willingness to change and transform 58. Materialism 65. De-materialism, spiritualism 59. Conventional fixity of energy 66. Alchemical transformation of energy 60. Mellifluous 67. Caustic 61. Material values (ESE, MSE) 68. Destruction of material values (MSE, ASE) 62. The open plains beneath the Sun 69. The caves hidden beneath the earth 63. The earthy plane 70. The astral plane
Similarities and Points of Cooperation Between the Influences
Similarities and Points of Cooperation
Between the Influences of Taurus and Scorpio
These signs, though displaying many contrasts, are in fact a bi-polar pair and evidence many similarities. They are locked in a dynamic interaction.
Both are fixed signs and can be considered at this stage of evolution, the paramount signs of the Fixed Cross. Both are signs of struggle
Both are powerfully related to the desire nature and all that desire acquires.
Their connection with the dynamics of the astral body is therefore profound. In this respect since Aries is associated with the mental body, so is Libra since Taurus is associated with the desire body – so is Scorpio. (Since Gemini is associated with the etheric body so is Sagittarius and since Cancer is associated with the physical body so is Capricorn, and since Leo is associated with the soul as the great effulgent sunflower so is Aquarius and strangely enough Virgo is associated with that Hierarchy which bestows the monads upon humanity and therefore so is Pisces.)
Taurus and Scorpio are involved in the great human drama of light and dark, of desire for darkness followed by desire and aspiration for the light.
They also officiate together over the great drama of attachment and detachment. First we have the attachment to material values followed by the detachment from material values engineered by Scorpio and the attachment to spiritual values also engineered by Scorpio and finding its fulfillment in Taurus.
Both of these signs can be considered power signs since power often relates to that of use which has been accumulated under the impulse of desire.
They are financial signs as well and that of value which has been accumulated adds to power.
Together they officiate at the reorientation of the desire nature and thus transform the human being from its animal state into its divine hierarchical state.
These are both signs of intense sexuality and are therefore associated with the sacral centre.
They are likewise associated with the throat centre. At the sacral centre is found the impulse to build and to destroy – likewise building occurs at the throat centre on a higher turn of the spiral and destruction can occur through the word as well. Scorpio and Taurus are found related to the 7 solar systems and to the entire of problem of desire.
The seven solar systems—p. 467 : Interestingly, a diamond configuration exists between the 7 solar systems, Scorpio/Taurus and the planet Mars. The relationship of Mars to Scorpio is well known. The relationship of Mars to Taurus is not so well known, however, of the Pleiades found in the constellation Taurus it has been said that they are the nurses of the God of war namely Mars.
It can be seen how in these two signs the entire problem of desire is being worked out and the orientation of desire, whether towards heavenly or earthly matters, is decided. It is not insignificant that the 4th ray is distributed through both Taurus and Scorpio.
As a matter of fact, in this world period, this is the only ray distributed through these 2 constellations. This distribution places these 2 signs in direct relation to the 4th Creative Hierarchy, the human hierarchy which is especially ruled by the sign Scorpio. Within that Hierarchy the drama of detachment from material values and reorientation towards spiritual values is being played out. In one way our entire solar system can be thought of as being suspended between the constellations Taurus and Scorpio.
Our solar system is a system of the 4th order and is one of the 7 solar systems over which Taurus and Scorpio rule. Our solar Logos, additionally, is polarized upon the Cosmic Astral plane – the plane of desire and thus on his own grand scale is undergoing this drama of reorientation.
This drama is no doubt being worked out in some measure through the stars Aldebaran, the eye of the Bull found in Taurus and the star Antares, the heart of the Scorpion found in Scorpio. (vs, 04/08: And in the tropical zodiac this has Aldebaran in Gemini and Antares in Sagittarius.) The position of these 2 stars within the horoscope of the disciple may tell an important story in relation to the problem of desire in that disciple’s life. Both of these signs are highly magnetic and highly repulsive.
While it is easy to emphasize the magnetic aspect of Taurus, its powerful, repulsive and destructive influence via Vulcan should not be forgotten. At the 4th initiation which is supremely an initiation of repulsion toward material values, Taurus and Vulcan feature powerfully as does Scorpio.
Scorpio is not totally repulsive, it can be extraordinarily magnetic. In the early days that magnetism is applied in an unhealthy manner to further the dominance of illusion over the light – it is most definitely what can be called wrong allure. In the later days when the law of repulse is activated, there is an intense Scorpionic magnetism towards the higher values. Therefore these signs are similar through their intense magnetic and repelling qualities.
These signs are also united by the presence of the 1st ray coming in Taurus through Vulcan and in Scorpio through Pluto. The 4th ray pouring through both Taurus and Scorpio relates this duality to our solar system which is a solar system of the 4th order. An important triangle is thereby created.
From one point of view this first ray of Taurus Scorpio relates the pair to the kundalini axis with Scorpio representing the 1st ray of power in the depths and Taurus representing the unfettered enlightenment akin to Shamballa which is revealed when the thousand petalled Lotus is stimulated by the upsurge of kundalini fire.
The relationship of will to desire is also worked out in both of these signs as all students of desire are intimately related. On a planetary level the drama of will and desire is worked out through the relationship of Vulcan representing the Spiritual Will. and Mars representing the desire of the form. In this respect Taurus represents the spiritual and Scorpio as an entire constellation, represents the forces of desire.
In the early days, the combined forces of Taurus/Scorpio represent extreme Maya and illusion. The maya of the material, earthly plane and the glamor and illusion of the astral plane.
Both of these signs however can also be associated with the buddhic plane. Taurus with the clear, seeing, single eye which brings the unitive vision of the buddhic plane and Scorpio with the light of the intuition which resolves all dualities and ends the power of the serpent of illusion.
Both of these signs are signs of profound warfare. The evolutionary mantram in Taurus is “Let struggle be undismayed.” The spiritual mantram in Scorpio is “Warrior am I and from the battle I emerge triumphant.
Just as there is a triangle between the Sun and Taurus/Scorpio, which is most significant in terms of the decisions to be made by our solar god, so equally there is a triangle between the Earth, Taurus/Scorpio and the Earth, Vulcan/Mars.
Our earth is at present enumeration, the 4th in order from our sun and its symbol is the cross, again accentuating the number 4, and thus does the battle on earth between good and evil proceed in relation to Taurus and Scorpio.
It is always realised that the black lodge is closely connected with the sign Scorpio – being the sign of negation.
However, according to this model we would connect the sign Taurus with the great White Lodge – the source of spiritual illumination. Of course it is interesting to realize that it is the task of those in Shamballa to combat Cosmic evil. Taurus as we have seen, is directly related to the Shamballic force.
Missing or Weak Links