Tapestry of the Gods
by Michael D. Robbins (c)
Gemini & Libra
Important Foundational Relationships
Important Foundational Relationships
Gemini Moves Towards Libra (EA 332)
Libra Relates the Two in Gemini (EA 333)
Gemini In Comparison With Libra 1. Esoteric Mantram: I recognise my other self, and in the waning of that self, I grow and glow. 1. Esoteric Mantram: I choose the way that leads between the two great lines of force. 2. Exoteric/Evolutionary Mantram: And the Word said: Let instability do its work. 2. Exoteric/Evolutionary Mantram: And the Word said: Let choice be made. 3. Quality of Light: The Light of Interplay. 3. Quality of Light: The Light that moves to rest 4. Element: Air sign 4. Element: Air Sign 5. The Mutable or Common Cross 5. Cardinal Cross 6. Transmits R2 constellationally 6. Transmits R3 constellationally 7. Secondarily, (assuredly, but not exclusively), transmits R4, R5 and R3 through Mercury, Venus and the Earth—its three planetary rulers on three levels—exoteric, esoteric and hierarchical. 7. Secondarily, (assuredly, but not exclusively) Libra transmits R5, R7 and R3 through Venus, Uranus and Saturn—its three planetary rulers on three levels—exoteric, esoteric and hierarchical. 8. Color: yellow 8. Color: indigo. Green (strong Saturn) should not be ignored. 9. Creative Hierarchy number IV (unmanifested), characterized by the “Desire for Duality” 9. Creative Hierarchy number III (manifested) and number VIII counting the unmanifested Hierarchies. 15. Associated with the establishing of relationship between Father, Mother and Child at the first initiation (cf. EA 388); the clarifying, mind-illumining second initiation (EA 157, GWP 271); the crucifying, illusion-renouncing fourth (EA 472); and the resurrecting seventh initiations (the second ray initiation of fulfilled Love-Wisdom). (cf. R&I 88-89) 1. Associated with the regulatory, balancing, reorienting first initiation; with the proportion-inducing, ideal-subduing, de-glamorizing second initiation, and with the decisive, nirvanic sixth initiation—the initiation of Decision. 4. Gemini (the third sign) can be associated with the thought-configuring, articulating throat center under the third ray; also with the duality-resolving, unifying heart center, and with the manipulating/blessing centers in the palms. Dualistic Gemini (ruled by oscillatory Mercury) can also be associated with the dualistic, decision-making, polarity-integrating ajna center, and with the system-uniting “kundalini” at the base of the spine. “Mercury demonstrates kundalini in intelligent activity” (EA 181) 2. Libra can be reasonably associated with the sexually-unitive, form-generating sacral center, and with the decision-making, force-balancing, triadally responsive ajna center. Libra has so much of the third ray (as do its rulers Uranus and Saturn, with Venus ruling Taurus, the sign of the throat) that throat center influence is to be expected. Libra can be connected be connected with the center at the base of the spine, from which stems the Sushumna—the “royal road” to Shamballa. (cf. EA 168) 15. The zodiacal signs influence the Monad of every human being (EA 411, 637, TCF 1191); the influence from Gemini makes it possible for the “Brother” who is the “prodigal son” to go forth into a “far country” (as the Monad-in-substantial-immersion), and yet, remain ‘at home’ within the Father’s House as the “elder Brother” Who did not go forth (i.e., as the Monad undiminished upon its own level of consciousness). Thus is the Monad “in the world yet not of the world”. Gemini endows the Monad with its all-pervasive omnipresence relative to the human energy system. “Having pervaded the entire Universe with a fragment of myself, I remain.” 3. The zodiacal signs influence the Monad of every human being (EA 411, 637, TCF 1191); the influence from Libra governs the ‘Path of Return”, by means of which the immersed Monad regains its originating source. (cf. EA 168) Libra also endows the Monad with power from the Dragon and Pleiades and ensures that the Monad performs its part in the balancing of planetary karma, for every Monad is a cell within the planetary Logos. 16. Within the Triad—Gemini, the third sign, is related to higher manas (the third aspect of the Triad). Higher manas formulates into abstract thought the revelations of the ‘idea-patterns’ to be found upon the buddhic plane. Gemini, as its dualistic symbol reveals, is also related to the divine love, pure reason and intuitive revelations of buddhi, the second aspect of the Spiritual Triad. 11. In relation to the Triad—it can be said that Libra (the ruler of the third manifested Creative Hierarchy—the Triple Flowers) rules the Spiritual Triad as a whole. Within the Triad Libra, transmitting constellationally (exoterically) only the third ray, and related to “super-mind”, is clearly influential in relation to the higher mind—higher manas. Libra and Saturn are also express through the atmic plane, and hence are related to the principle—atma—Spiritual Will. Not surprisingly, Libra “admits the soul” to Shamballa. Eventually, Libra, ruling the union of all polarities, will be shown to be related to buddhi as well. 17. In relation to the Solar Angel, and the soul-consciousness (and causal body) through which it expresses—Gemini can be seen as governing the pulsations of Solar-Angelic thought and vitality which rhythmically stimulate the personality. Gemini can be associated with the attempt the Solar Angel to communicate with and instruct the personality. 12. In relation to the Solar Angel, and the soul-consciousness (and causal body) through which it expresses—Libra represents the skill, wisdom and power of the Solar Angel to supervise a balanced development in its personality. Libra is one of the major signs of karma, which the Solar Angel wisely administrates to ensure that the personality is eventually governed by the Law of Love. 18. Within the Personality—Gemini can be identified with the flexible associative processes and informational receptivity of the lower mental nature, which becomes, eventually, especially responsive to the antahkarana; with the bi-polar fluctuations of the astral nature, vacillating conflicted between the pairs of opposites (EA 362); in general, with the etheric nature and its network of interplaying vital-electric currents and with the sprightliness and rejuvenation of the dense physical nature. Gemini is especially related to the etheric vehicle. (EA 352) (The vehicular focus and its degree of prominence, depends upon the stage of evolutionary development.) 13. Within the Personality—Libra can be identified with the evaluative, judicial and decision-making processes of the lower mental nature; with balancing and proportion-inducing processes within the astral nature; with the harmonizing of energy flows within the etheric nature; and, in general, with the energetic balance of the dense physical form. Libra has a special connection with the mental permanent atom. (EA 302) (The vehicular focus and its degree of prominence, depends upon the stage of evolutionary development.) 10. Stage within a Preliminary Fourfold Meditative Process: Vitalization 4. Stage of Meditative Consciousness: Contemplation. “Libra—Contemplation—Life of soul and form is balanced. Neither dominates. Equilibrium. An interlude wherein the soul organises itself for battle and the personality waits. This is the probationary path. Duality known.” (EA 228) 11. The Crisis of Renunciation characterized by the quality of Crucifixion 10. The Crisis of Balance followed by Reversal. (cf. EA 101)
Wider Relationships: Cosmic and Systemic
Gemini In Comparison With Libra 1. Expressive, principally, of the second or Love aspect of divinity. (EA 351) “It is the constellation Gemini and its inherent second ray influence which control every one of the pairs of opposites in the Great Wheel.” (EA 346) Gemini, ‘Lord of Intelligence’, is also closely linked by numerical affinity to the third or Intelligence aspect. “…Gemini is the third sign and embodies what is called ‘a third potency’…” (EA 355) “Ray 3.—Active Intelligence, under the influence of this third sign, Gemini, slowly conditioning the etheric body.” (EA 357) 1. Expressive, principally of the third aspect of the divinity, with an expression of the second aspect slowly emerging.” “This sign is consequently closely connected with the third aspect of the Godhead.” (EA 243) “It is through a study of Libra that light upon the third aspect will come.” (EA 244) “Libra—Divine Love—Understanding” (EA333) 2. Cosmically associated with Sirius. “Gemini—forms a point of entrance for cosmic energy from Sirius.” (EA 349) Sirius and Gemini are both related to Masonry. (cf. EA 350) Sirius and Gemini were active together in the individualization process. (cf. EA 355) Gemini is also associated with the Pleiades. “Gemini—Sagittarius—Mercury (which are an expression of the Pleiades) enable the Probationary Disciple to pass on to the Path of Accepted Discipleship.” (EA 466) 2. Related cosmically to the Pleiades. “Libra—is related to and transmits the potencies of the Pleiades.” (EA 349) Libra is also related to the Dragon and the Dragon to the Pleiades. “The adepts who choose this Path are called esoterically the ‘beneficent dragons,’ and the energy with which they work and the stream of living force upon which they are found emanates from the constellation of the Dragon, working through the zodiacal sign Libra.” (TCF 1245) D.K. speaks of the “…buddhic force, which is transmitted via the Seven Sisters or the Pleiades from a constellation called the Dragon…” (TCF 1162) Libra is related to one of the stars in the Great Bear. (A triangle?—Mizar-Libra-Sun?) (R&I 404) 3. Three Constellations Connected with Gemini: a) Lepus—the Hare; b) Canis Minor—the Lesser Dog (including Procyon) c) Canis Major—the Greater Dog (including Sirius) (LOH 68-70) 3. Three Constellations Connected with Libra: a) The Southern Cross; b) Lupus—the Wolf; c) Corona—the Crown (LOH 137-138)
Relationships Between Three Levels of Planetary Rulers,
and Planets in Exaltation, Fall and Detriment
4. Venus is the esoteric ruler of Gemini. In Comparison With 11. Venus is the exoteric ruler of Libra.
Subtle Relationships Between Rays,
Zodiacal and Planetary Energies
Gemini In Comparison With Libra 1. Gemini transmits the second ray constellationally 1. Libra is also the second sign when numbering by polarities (Aries, Libra, Taurus, Scorpio, etc., and, hence, has numerical resonance with the second ray, which it may more powerfully express in a future world period. Venus (exoteric ruler), called by the Tibetan, “pure love wisdom” can be considered as transmitting the second ray. (EA 281) 20. Gemini is the third sign of the zodiac on the reversed wheel, and therefore, has numerical affinity with the number three and with the third ray “Ray 3.—Active Intelligence, under the influence of this third sign, Gemini, slowly conditioning the etheric body.” (EA 357)“The fact that Gemini is the third sign and embodies what is called ‘a third potency’ enabled it to reach, with its force, the third kingdom and produce that reaction which resulted in the individualising or the humanising of its higher forms of life.” (EA 355) 2. Libra transmits the third ray, constellationally. Uranus, the esoteric ruler, is closely associated with the third ray (EA 138, 200), and may well transmit this ray as its personality ray. Saturn, exalted and ruling hierarchically, transmits the third ray monadically and probably, in addition, through its soul. 2. Gemini is the eleventh sign of the zodiac on the clockwise wheel and, therefore, has numerical affinity with the number two and with the second ray. 3. See #1 above. 3. Gemini is the fifth sign of the zodiac if one numbers in polarities (Aries-Libra-Taurus-Scorpio-Gemini-etc.) This indicates a resonance with the fifth ray.
4. Venus, the exoteric ruler of Libra, transmits the fifth ray. Uranus has strong fifth ray associations through its rulership of “exoteric science” (EA 149), and Saturn is easily seen as associated with the concrete mind (the generic ray of which is the fifth), and with the Law of Cleavages. “This fifth ray energy operates in connection with the Law of Cleavages.” (R&I 602).
4. Gemini is the tenth sign of the zodiac on the clockwise wheel, IF one begins numbering from Pisces (as the Tibetan does in relation to Leo) This indicates a resonance with the first ray, though there is, otherwise, little first ray to be found within this sign, proper. 5. Libra governs the entry into Shamballa, hence must be associated with the first ray. “Libra admits the soul into the world centre which we call Shamballa, for it is the polar opposite of Aries which is the place of beginnings” (EA 168) .Uranus, the esoteric ruler of Libra, transmits the first ray “esoterically”—i.e., monadically. “Uranus is the home of ‘fire electric’.” (TCF 1154) Saturn, the hierarchical ruler of Libra (also exalted in this sign) transmits the first ray powerfully. (EA 450) “This is why Saturn is so powerful a ruler and transmitter to the Earth of the dynamic quality of the first ray of power” ( EA 621) 21. Mercury is the exoteric ruler of Gemini and transmits the fourth ray. As well, the constellation Gemini is associated with the fourth ray. “Ray 4.—Harmony through Conflict, under the influence of Gemini-Sagittarius, staging those situations upon the astral plane which will produce the conflict in the astral body which is essential to the final treading of the burning ground and subsequent release.” (EA 357) 6. Libra, because of its oscillatory nature, may well have some subtle fourth ray associations—destined to emerge more in other world periods. Venus, too, seems to have the higher more harmonious part of the fourth ray associated with it. But there are no direct fourth ray connections linking these two constellations. 5. Mercury is closely associated with the third ray, and probably transmits this ray as its personality ray. 7. See #2 above. 6. Mercury has a close relation to the fifth ray, through its relation to the fifth scheme, the fifth round, the fifth race and sub-race. “The fifth race is born under Mercury.” (EA 663) 8. See #4 above.. 7. Venus, the esoteric ruler of Gemini, transmits the fifth ray. 9. See #4 above. 8. Venus is “pure love-wisdom” and, therefore, can be seen as transmitting the second ray (probably as the personality ray) (cf. EA 281) “…the second ray is the ray at present of the planetary Logos” (DINA II 210) 10. See #1 above. 9. Venus is the “home of the planetary Logos of the sixth Ray” (EA 595) thus transmits the sixth ray, probably monadically, just as Uranus, with its first ray Monad, is the “home of fire electric” (TCF 1154) 11. Counting from Pisces as the first sign (which the Tibetan also does) Libra is the sixth sign on the clockwise wheel, and, hence, numerically resonant with the sixth ray. Venus, exoteric ruler of Libra, is closely associated with the sixth ray (TCF 595), and probably transmits this ray monadically. If one begins with Pisces as one counts signs upon the ordinary wheel (and this the Tibetan does at least once), Libra is the sixth sign, thus having resonance with the sixth ray. 10. The Earth is the hierarchical ruler of Gemini and transmits the third ray, its personality ray. “…it was necessary to call attention to this great determining factor, the third ray, which is the personality ray of our planetary Logos.” (EP I 338) (cf. EA 619) 12. See #2 above. 11. The Earth transmits the second ray, its soul ray. “It [the first ray] is the monadic ray of our planetary Logos, Whose Soul ray is the second and the personality ray the third.” (EA 619) 13. See # 1 above. 12. The Earth transmits (however weakly) the first ray—its monadic ray. (cf. EA 619) 14. See #5 above. 13. There are no strong seventh ray transmissions through Gemini, proper. Jupiter and Saturn, which have a special relation to this sign (one demonstrating the fusion of Spirit and soul, and the other the confrontation with the Dweller) both have seventh ray components. 15. Libra is the seventh sign of the zodiac on both the reversed and ordinary wheels and, hence, has numerical affinity with the seventh ray. Uranus, ruling Libra esoterically, transmits the seventh ray. Saturn, ruling hierarchically and exalted, has seventh ray associations, through its rulership of the dense systemic physical plane and cosmic physical plane—being the permanent atom of the latter. (TCF 406). General Qualitative Comparisons, Contrasts and Pragmatic Descriptors
General Qualitative Comparisons, Contrasts
and Pragmatic Descriptors
Gemini In Comparison With Libra 4. The Christ (bestowing the qualities of mercy and forgiveness) 4. The Lords of Karma 5. Hierarchy—from which instruction comes 5. Shamballa—“The only place of complete ‘peace’ (the meaning of the word Jerusalem) is Shamballa; the Hierarchy is not a centre of peace in the true meaning of the term,…” (R&I 314) 6. The Interplay of Hierarchy and Humanity 6. The Interplay of Shamballa, Hierarchy and Humanity 7. The Messenger 7. The Judge 8. The Brother or Sister 8. The Lover, Partner or Companion 9. Gemini: rules the soul-personality interplay as a whole 9. Libra: whose symbol is the triangle, rules the Spiritual Triad as a whole 10. Within the personality—the interplay of and communication between all forces within the personality vehicles. 10. Within the personality—the balancing of all forces within and between the personality vehicles. 11. Strongly associated with the present solar system of Love-Wisdom 11. Strongly associated with the first solar system of Intelligence. Really, Libra can act as a bridge between the third and second aspects. 12. “Gemini—forms a point of entrance for cosmic energy from Sirius.” (EA 349) 12. “Libra—is related to and transmits the potencies of the Pleiades.” (EA 349) 13. “Gemini, the Twins—Mind—cause of Duality” (EA 241) 13. “Libra, the Balance—Supermind—Cause of Synthesis” (EA 241) 14. As the first air sign, identified with mind in general, and ‘angelic-mind’, more specifically. “The messenger and the Angel exchange their understanding” (EA 494) 14. As the second air sign, identified with Triadal Mind (cf. EA 241) 15. The Mystery or Secret of Gemini: “Gemini—Guards the mystery or secret of duality and presents the initiate with a word which leads to the fusion of the greater pairs of opposite.” (EA 165) 15. The Mystery or Secret of Libra: “Libra—Guards the secret of balance, of equilibrium and finally speaks the word which releases the initiate from the power of the Lords of Karma.” (EA 165) 16. Awakening to Duality: “Gemini, via Venus, awakens in humanity (the focal point of our planetary effort) the sense of duality which is the basic factor in the conflict between desire and spiritual will;…” (EA 362)
16. Clarifying the Problem of Duality: “…in Libra this reaches a point of balance wherein the one who struggles sees the issues clearly and achieves a desirable point of equilibrium through the wise use of the Mercury-Venus mind,…” (EA 362)
17. A special relationship: “Gemini moves towards Libra” (EA 332) 17. A special relationship: “Libra relates the two in Gemini” (EA 333) 18. Gemini: expresses the fifth ray esoterically (through Venus), and thus remains (in terms of its esoteric rulership) unrelated to any other sign. 18. Libra: expresses the seventh ray esoterically (through Uranus) and thus remains (in terms of its esoteric rulership) unrelated to any other sign. 19. Gemini is hierarchically related to the Libra through the third ray of the Earth—its hierarchical ruler 19. Libra is hierarchically related to Gemini through the third ray of Libra—its hierarchical ruler 20. Gemini—Facilitating the Facing of the Dweller: “Saturn, in a peculiar relation to the sign Gemini, makes this possible”—i.e., “to face that Dweller as well as the Angel of the Presence, and in so doing discover that both the Dweller and the Angel are that complex duality which is the human family.” “Individual man makes this discovery and faces the two extremes whilst in the sign Capricorn;…” (EA 164) 20. Libra—the Fourth and Fifth Creative Hierarchies Face Each Other: “the fourth and fifth Creative Hierarchies do the same thing in Libra.” (EA 164) 21. Gemini—rules all dualities in relation to the zodiacal wheel. Gemini is pervasive and ubiquitous with respect to the zodiac, but centralized and mediating with respect to each pair of polar opposites (except Gemini and Sagittarius). 21. Libra—Centralization: “Libra occupies a unique place in the Great Wheel, for it is the energy coming from this constellation which controls what we might call (for lack of a more suitable word) the ‘hub of the wheel’.” (EA 183) 22. Gemini—Duality: “the emergence of “the dual consciousness…or the soul-body realisation” (EA 230) 22. Libra—Balance: “wherein the point of balance is eventually reached between spiritual man and personal man and the stage is laid for the final fivefold process which is, in reality, the subjective correspondence to the outer externalisation upon the Path of Outgoing and which is carried forward upon the Path of Ingoing, or the Path of Return.” (EA 230) 23. Gemini—a strictly human sign (cf. EA 242) 23. Libra—a strictly human sign (cf. EA 242) 24. Gemini—as far as humanity is concerned: an “emphasis…on human attainment” (EA 243) 24. Libra—as far as humanity is concerned: An emphasis on “achieving the point of balance” (EA 243) 25. Living substance achieves in Gemini—“manifested duality” (EA 314) 25. Living substance achieves in Libra—“a point of balance and of a somewhat static equilibrium…” (EA 314) 26. Gemini upon the Mutable Cross: “Gemini upon the Mutable Cross stands for man’s humanity…” (EA 242) 26. Libra upon the Cardinal Cross: “…Libra upon the Cardinal Cross rules man’s subjective and spiritual life.” (EA 242) 27. Awakening to Conflict: “Gemini, via Venus, awakens in humanity (the focal point of our planetary effort) the sense of duality which is the basic factor in the conflict between desire and spiritual will;…” (EA 362) 27. Balanced, Clear-Seeing: “in Libra this reaches a point of balance wherein the one who struggles sees the issues clearly and achieves a desirable point of equilibrium through the wise use of the Mercury-Venus mind,…” (EA 362) 28. Gemini and Libra in Cooperation: “The dual energy in Gemini…” (EA 425) 28. Gemini and Libra in Cooperation: “is brought to a point of balance by means of the influence of Libra, and this balanced and dual energy is released then into our solar system.” (EA 425) 29. What Venus Reveals in Gemini: “In Gemini, Venus reveals the desire of the pairs of opposites for each other for this is the underlying theme of the entire creative and evolutionary process—the interplay of the opposites.” (EA 391) 29. What Venus Reveals in Libra: “Venus, the mind or the soul in Libra reveals to man the exoteric significance and results of desire.” (EA 391) 15. Gemini—for the Undeveloped Man: “Mutation of relation. ‘I serve myself’.” (EA 332) 1. Libra—for the Undeveloped Man: “Unbalanced fiery passion. Human love.” (EA 333) 16. Gemini—for the Advanced Man: “Orientation of ‘I serve my brother’.” (EA 332) 2. Libra—for the Advanced Man: “The weighing of the opposites. Devotion and aspiration.” (EA 333) 17. Gemini—for the Disciple/Initiate: “Right relation ‘I serve the One’.” (EA 332) 3. Libra—for the Disciple/Initiate: “Balance attained. Divine love. Understanding.” (EA 333) 57. Yearly Opportunity in Relation to Gemini: When the Sun is in Gemini, an individual may cultivate the dialogue between soul and personality—a dialogue which stimulates the intuition. “In the coming world religion this fact will be noted and in the month of June, which is essentially the month in which the influences of Gemini are peculiarly strong, due advantage will be taken in order to bring man nearer to the spiritual realities.” (EA 355) 4. Yearly Opportunity in Relation to Libra: When the Sun is in Libra, an individual may cultivate proportional action and response, and both balance and equilibrium within his own energy system, as well as between his energy system and the environment in which it expresses. 18. The Life of the Christ from a Geminian Perspective: “The Gemini aspect of His life is shown in the perfect fusion of the basic duality found in humanity: the human and the divine.” (EA 564) 5. The Life of the Christ from a Libran Perspective: “Christ stood at the point of balance in human evolution; He stood between the old world and the new, between the East and the West. In the Christian era comes a ‘point of balance’ or that ‘crisis of equilibrium’ in the human kingdom. (EA 567) 30. Weaker of will—through a soft-line constellational transmission 30. Stronger of will (through Uranus and Saturn) and a hard-line constellational transmission 31. Invocation and Evocation 31. Contemplation 32. The power of thought 32. The power of law 33. Mentally aware 33. Socially aware 34. More capable of ideation 34. More capable of manifestation 35. Creating in the mind 35. Transferring creation to the physical plane 36. Tendency to avoid the commitment of decision; constant interplay 36. Evaluation, moving towards decision. This can appear indecisive at first. 37. Distinguishing, discriminating 37. Fusing, blending 38. Mind more easily detached from emotions. Easy release. 38. Mind more engaged with emotions. Distressing release 39. More active 39. More poised; then, at last, the “still point” 40. Continual movement 40. Moves towards balance and then stasis 41. Abrupt, arrhythmic movement 41. Graceful movement 42. Skill in thought 42. Skill-in-action 43. More detached magnetically 43. More attached magnetically 44. Immaturity: always youthful 44. Understanding and honoring the social contract—maturely 45. Seeking versatility and stimulation in relationships 45. Seeking commitment and communion in relationships 46. Sexually and romantically uncommitted. Polygamy, polyandry. 46. Sexually and romantically committed. Monogamy (at least as an ideal) 47. Intellectual morality (or amorality) 47. Judicious morality 48. Toleration of diversity and contradiction 48. Judgment 49. The instability of random motion 49. The stability of balanced action 50. Quicker oscillations 50. Slower oscillations 51. Improvisational 51. Proceeding according to precedent 52. Less grounded 52. Grounded: more effective upon the physical plane (seventh sign, with Uranus and Saturn rulers) Similarities and Points of Cooperation Between the Influences
Similarities and Points of Cooperation
Between the Zodiacal Influences
Both cooperate on the Path of Magnetic Work (EA 425)
In terms of similarities both of these are air signs and hence to a degree with mentality. Gemini particularly with the concrete mind and Libra with the super-mind of the spiritual triad.
Both can also be seen as associated with the love energy. Gemini forming the head of the Cosmic Christ and Libra being in a sense, the 2nd sign from Aries, working out as a sign of divine love and harmony and union.
Most importantly the 2 signs determine a relationship between the soul and personality. With Gemini the relationship is one of rapid communication and oscillation. With Libra the relationship is one of magnetic attractiveness and gradual harmonization until binding occurs. So the Gemini relationship is more rapid, more detached, more changed, more oscillatory and is characterized very much by a mercurial quality whereas the relationship of soul and personality, as promoted by Libra, is one balance, rapport, mutuality and greater steadiness.
Gemini is the 3rd sign and therefore keenly associated with the intelligence aspect. Libra transmits the 3rd ray and can therefore be seen as related to the higher mind. Both are signs of horizontal relationships as well. Gemini determining the relationship between brothers and sisters, who are in a sense equals/siblings and Libra determining the relationship between partners although apparently there is much more commitment in the Libran relationship and it has a lasting quality about it because of the hierarchical rulership of Saturn and perhaps also the esoteric rulership of Uranus, both carrying strong hard-line rays of the 1st and 7th which tend to bind.
Both of these signs being air signs are determined upon exchange. The exchange in Gemini is often of information and experience and is perhaps a livelier, less predictable exchange. The exchange between the parties in Libra is an exchange of love, an exchange of mutual knowledge and is a much more magnetically intense process.
Since both of these signs share a rulership of Venus, Gemini esoterically and Libra exoterically, they are signs of illumined relationship, though the emotional/physical aspect of the Libran relationship is probably greater and further reinforcing the 3rd ray similarity we find Gemini hierarchically ruled by the earth, the 3rd ray planet of activity, as well as being the 3rd sign.
Both share the ability to promote relationships and are also signs of mediation. Gemini always mediates between the polarities and its 4th ray ruler Mercury assists in this and Libra stationed at the midway point, as the balance point between the signs, is known for its ability to promote co-operative relationships.
Both signs may suffer from problems of vacillation and fluctuation.
There is a duality in both and there may be difficulty in decision-making, although the process is liable to be more rapid in Gemini and more measured in Libra. For both signs a balance between the polarities is desirable though for Gemini the split between the poles is liable to be sharper and for Libra more subtle.
Both signs being closely related to the mental faculty, we are reminded that Manas is a binding factor between spirit and matter and both may be convincingly associated with the solar angel or with the egoic lotus. For the solar angel or that part of man whose home is the causal body is called the thinker, this fits very much with the idea of Gemini and the soul or the higher ego is also the mediator standing at the middle chamber at the midway point, mediating between spirit and matter and this is very much the function of Libra. Individuals born in this sign of middle-ness are frequently found occupying neutral or middle ground in various disputes.
So air as an element is relational and these indeed, are prominent air signs. They are also related to the human and the animal aspect of the human being for Gemini in its duality represents both the angel and the semi-intelligent animal often seen as the monkey.
Gemini was one of those signs most active at the time of individualisation which produced from the angel and the animal, the living human being. Libra too, is seen as producing a wedding between the animal and the God and its task is to produce some degree of equilibrium between these different orders of nature which together comprise the human being but essentially they are quite human signs and represent a refinement which occurs when the higher values, represented by Venus, overcome the lower values represented by Mars. Mars has nothing to do with either of these signs – Venus much.