Tapestry of the Gods
by Michael D. Robbins (c)
Leo & Libra
Important Foundational Relationships
Important Foundational Relationships
Leo In Comparison With Libra 1. The Lion 1. The Scales 2. Esoteric Mantram: I am That and That am I. 2. Esoteric Mantram: I choose the way that leads between the two great lines of force. 3. Exoteric/Evolutionary Mantram: And the Word said: Let other forms exist. I rule because I am.. 3. Exoteric/Evolutionary Mantram: And the Word said: Let choice be made. 4. Quality of Light: The Light of the Soul 4. Quality of Light: The Light that moves to rest 5. Element: Fire Sign 5. Element: Air Sign 6. Fixed Cross 6. Cardinal Cross 7. Transmits R1 and R5 constellationally. 7. Transmits R3 constellationally 8. Secondarily, (assuredly, but not exclusively), Leo transmits R2, R6 and R7 through the ‘Sun’ and the veiled Neptune and Uranus—its unveiled and veiled ruling planets on three levels—exoteric, esoteric and hierarchical. 8. Secondarily, (assuredly, but not exclusively) Libra transmits R5, R7 and R3 through Venus, Uranus and Saturn—its three planetary rulers on three levels—exoteric, esoteric and hierarchical. 9. Color: orange 9. Color: indigo. Green (strong Saturn) should not be ignored. 2. Creative Hierarchy number I (manifested), and VI of the twelve. Divine Flames, Divine Lives 1. Creative Hierarchy number III (manifested) which is number VII (of all twelve). Lesser Builders, Conferring Form, the Triple Flowers. 2. Associated with the Self-orienting first, the ‘solar-hearted’ second, (EA 298), the soul-dominant third and blazingly revelatory fifth initiations, and perhaps the consummately glorious seventh—all powerfully Sun-like. Especially the first and fifth are involved with Leo—the first giving entrance to the Fifth Kingdom and the fifth, by numerical affinity, can be seen as stimulated by the fifth sign. 2. Associated with the regulatory, balancing, reorienting first initiation; with the proportion-inducing, ideal-subduing, de-glamorizing second initiation, and with the decisive, nirvanic sixth initiation—the initiation of Decision.
4. Leo can be reasonably associated with the radiating , group-magnetizing heart center (and with the entire head center as well—the crown, the dome which is the organ of the ‘dominating’ soul or Spirit). “Leo within the heart and head shouted aloud and stood whilst Saturn did his work … and thus the twain were one.” (EA431) Leo can influence the solar plexus as one center of focus for the dominant personality (emotionally dominant) which Leo rules. The ajna center is the organ of the integrated (and dominating) personality which is also, generically, ruled by Leo. May not Leo also be associated with the heart center within the head? (Leo is ruled by the Sun; Vulcan may substitute for the Sun; Vulcan rules the “heart of the Sun”; the heart of the Sun works through the heart center within the head.)
3. Libra can be reasonably associated with the sexually-unitive, form-generating sacral center, and with the decision-making, force-balancing, triadally responsive ajna center. Libra has so much of the third ray (as do its rulers Uranus and Saturn, with Venus ruling Taurus, the sign of the throat) that throat center influence is to be expected. Libra can be connected be connected with the center at the base of the spine, from which stems the Sushumna—the “royal road” to Shamballa. (cf. EA 168) 5. The zodiacal signs influence the Monad of every human being (EA 411, 637, TCF 1191); the influence from Leo preserves within the Monad the will of the King of Shamballa (Who reflects the wills of the planetary and solar Logoi.) Leo makes of the Monad the true center of selfhood, and yet a “relinquished point” (EA 332) in a planetary sphere, the center of which is everywhere—within the planetary ring-pass-not. 4. The zodiacal signs influence the Monad of every human being (EA 411, 637, TCF 1191); the influence from Libra governs the ‘Path of Return”, by means of which the immersed Monad regains its originating source. (cf. EA 168) Libra also endows the Monad with power from the Dragon and Pleiades and ensures that the Monad performs its part in the balancing of planetary karma, for every Monad is a cell within the planetary Logos. 3. Within the Triad—Leo can be related principally to atma, the spiritual will, as it reflects the will of the “Central Spiritual Sun”—the monadic aspect, whether of man, the planetary Logos or the solar Logos. Since Leo, the second fire sign, is associated with the second ray and with consciousness, it can be related to the revelations of divine love and illumined wisdom emanating from buddhi. The ruler of Leo is the Sun, transmitting the second ray—the ray expressed through buddhi. The fifth ray transmitted through Leo relates it to higher manas. 5. In relation to the Triad—it can be said that Libra (the ruler of the third manifested Creative Hierarchy—the Triple Flowers) rules the Spiritual Triad as a whole. Within the Triad Libra, transmitting constellationally (exoterically) only the third ray, and related to “super-mind”, is clearly influential in relation to the higher mind—higher manas. Libra and Saturn are also express through the atmic plane, and hence are related to the principle—atma—Spiritual Will. Not surprisingly, Libra “admits the soul” to Shamballa. Eventually, Libra, ruling the union of all polarities, will be shown to be related to buddhi as well. 4. In relation to the Solar Angel, and the soul-consciousness (and causal body) through which it expresses—Leo is a pervasive and fundamental solar influence. The causal body is a “sun-flower”; soul-consciousness is to the personality as a luminous sun; and the Solar Angel emanates (with respect to our system) from the “heart of the sun”. In a broad sense, Leo can be seen as governing the radiant light, magnetic love, luminous consciousness, and authoritative power of the Solar Angel which it wills, assertively, to express through the personality. 6. In relation to the Solar Angel, and the soul-consciousness (and causal body) through which it expresses—Libra represents the skill, wisdom and power of the Solar Angel to supervise a balanced development in its personality. Libra is one of the major signs of karma, which the Solar Angel wisely administrates to ensure that the personality is eventually governed by the Law of Love. 5. Within the Personality—Leo can be identified with dominating and imposing attitudes within the lower mental nature; with the dramatic and expressive qualities of the astral nature—Leo is correlated with the astral permanent atom (EA 302); with the prana and natural radiance of the etheric vehicle; and, in general, with the strength of the dense physical vehicle. Leo is related to the integrated personality as a whole. (EA 253, 486, 620) (The vehicular focus and its degree of prominence, depends upon the stage of evolutionary development.) 7. Within the Personality—Libra can be identified with the evaluative, judicial and decision-making processes of the lower mental nature; with balancing and proportion-inducing processes within the astral nature; with the harmonizing of energy flows within the etheric nature; and, in general, with the energetic balance of the dense physical form. Libra has a special connection with the mental permanent atom. (EA 302) (The vehicular focus and its degree of prominence, depends upon the stage of evolutionary development.) 2. Stage of Meditative Consciousness: Concentration. “Leo—Concentration—Soul life focussed in form. Individualisation. Self-consciousness. Undeveloped and average man. Human experience.” (EA 228) 5. Stage of Meditative Consciousness: Contemplation. “Libra—Contemplation—Life of soul and form is balanced. Neither dominates. Equilibrium. An interlude wherein the soul organises itself for battle and the personality waits. This is the probationary path. Duality known.” (EA 228) 6. The Crisis of the Burning Ground characterized by the process of Liberation (EA 472) 1. The Crisis of Balance followed by Reversal. (cf. EA 101)
Wider Relationships: Cosmic and Systemic
Leo In Comparison With Libra 4. Expressive primarily of the second and first aspects of divinity. “Leo is the focal point for the expression of the second aspect, the love-wisdom or consciousness aspect. This, primarily where humanity is concerned.” (EA 194) Leo is also the second fire sign. Its transmission of the first ray connects Leo to the first aspect, and the transmission of the fifth ray, to the first as well as the third. 1. Expressive, principally of the third aspect of the divinity, with an expression of the second aspect slowly emerging.” “This sign is consequently closely connected with the third aspect of the Godhead.” (EA 243) “It is through a study of Libra that light upon the third aspect will come.” (EA 244) “Libra—Divine Love—Understanding” (EA333) 5. Strongly associated with Sirius.” Leo, in the cosmic sense (and apart from our solar system altogether) is ruled by Sirius. Sirius is the home of that greater Lodge to which our fifth initiation admits a man and to which it brings him, as a humble disciple.” (EA 299) “The influences of Sirius, three in number, are focussed in Regulus, which is, as you know, a star of the first magnitude and which is frequently called ‘the heart of the Lion’.” (EA 300) “Third Triangle: Sirius—Leo—Jupiter—Hierarchy.” (EA 417) “…Sirius governs Leo.” (EA 299) (also 447 re Sirius, Leo, Uranus and first initiation)
Also cosmically related to the Great Bear. Leo “is also peculiarly susceptible to the influence of that Pointer in the Great Bear which is the nearest to the Pole Star.” (EA196) Leo transmits energy from the Great Bear to Saturn and, thence, Shamballa. (cf. EA 427-428, 435)
2. Related cosmically to the Pleiades. “Libra—is related to and transmits the potencies of the Pleiades.” (EA 349) Libra is also related to the Dragon and the Dragon to the Pleiades. “The adepts who choose this Path are called esoterically the ‘beneficent dragons,’ and the energy with which they work and the stream of living force upon which they are found emanates from the constellation of the Dragon, working through the zodiacal sign Libra.” (TCF 1245) D.K. speaks of the “…buddhic force, which is transmitted via the Seven Sisters or the Pleiades from a constellation called the Dragon…” (TCF 1162) Libra is related to one of the stars in the Great Bear. (A triangle?—Mizar-Libra-Sun?) (R&I 404) 6. Three Constellations Connected with Leo: a) Hydra—the Serpent; b) Crater—the Cup; c) Corvus—the Raven (LOH 105-108) 3. Three Constellations Connected with Libra: a) The Southern Cross; b) Lupus—the Wolf; c) Corona—the Crown (LOH 137-138)
Relationships Between Three Levels of Planetary Rulers,
and Planets in Exaltation, Fall and Detriment
10. The Sun is the exoteric ruler of Leo. 10. The Sun falls in Libra. 11. Uranus is the veiled hierarchical ruler of Leo. Uranus is also considered to be in exoteric detriment in Leo. 11. Uranus is the esoteric ruler of Libra. 12. Saturn is considered by many astrologers to be in detriment in Leo, because it is seen as the co-ruler of Aquarius. 12. Saturn is the hierarchical ruler of Libra and is also exalted in this sign.
Subtle Relationships Between Rays,
Zodiacal and Planetary Energies
Leo In Comparison With Libra 1. Leo transmits the first ray constellationally 1. Libra governs the entry into Shamballa, hence must be associated with the first ray. “Libra admits the soul into the world centre which we call Shamballa, for it is the polar opposite of Aries which is the place of beginnings” (EA 168) .Uranus, the esoteric ruler of Libra, transmits the first ray “esoterically”—i.e., monadically. “Uranus is the home of ‘fire electric’.” (TCF 1154) Saturn, the hierarchical ruler of Libra (also exalted in this sign) transmits the first ray powerfully. (EA 450) “This is why Saturn is so powerful a ruler and transmitter to the Earth of the dynamic quality of the first ray of power” ( EA 621) 2. Leo transmits the fifth ray constellationally.
2. Venus, the exoteric ruler of Libra, transmits the fifth ray. Uranus has strong fifth ray associations through its rulership of “exoteric science” (EA 149), and Saturn is easily seen as associated with the concrete mind (the generic ray of which is the fifth), and with the Law of Cleavages. “This fifth ray energy operates in connection with the Law of Cleavages.” (R&I 602).
3. Leo is the fifth sign of the zodiac on the reversed wheel and, hence, has numerical affinity with the number five and with the fifth ray. 3. See #2 immediately above. 4. Leo is the ninth sign of the zodiac on the reversed wheel—proceeding by polarities (Aries-Scorpio, Taurus-Scorpio, etc.). Since nine is the number connected with the ray three cycle (EPI 348-349), Leo, in its more material aspect, is connected with the third ray. 4. Libra transmits the third ray, constellationally. Uranus, the esoteric ruler, is closely associated with the third ray (EA 138, 200), and may well transmit this ray as its personality ray. Saturn, exalted and ruling hierarchically, transmits the third ray monadically and probably, in addition, through its soul. 5. The Sun (veiling an unknown planet) is esoteric, exoteric and hierarchical ruler of Leo, and transmits the second ray through its soul and personality. “It is the ray which governs the ‘personality’ of our solar Logos, if such an expression may be used, and (because it is dual) it indicates both His personality and soul rays,…” (EPI 334) 5. Libra is also the second sign when numbering by polarities (Aries, Libra, Taurus, Scorpio, etc., and, hence, has numerical resonance with the second ray, which it may more powerfully express in a future world period. Venus (exoteric ruler), called by the Tibetan, “pure love wisdom” can be considered as transmitting the second ray. (EA 281) 6. The Sun, even exoterically, may veil Jupiter, which transmits the second, seventh, and (possibly) sixth rays. “In connection with the Mutable Cross, the rays of the Sun in a threefold form (combining the lowest energies of the threefold Sun) pour into and through the man, via Jupiter. Jupiter is the agent of the second ray which the Sun expresses—cosmically and systemically.” (EA 297) 6. See #5, #7 and #11. 7. Neptune is the veiled esoteric ruler of Leo and transmits the sixth ray. 7. Counting from Pisces as the first sign (which the Tibetan also does) Libra is the sixth sign on the clockwise wheel, and, hence, numerically resonant with the sixth ray. Venus, exoteric ruler of Libra, is closely associated with the sixth ray (TCF 595), and probably transmits this ray monadically. If one begins with Pisces as one counts signs upon the ordinary wheel (and this the Tibetan does at least once), Libra is the sixth sign, thus having resonance with the sixth ray. 8. Neptune transmits the second ray monadically (EPI 421). 8. See #5 above. 9. Neptune is associated with the fourth ray through its rulership of buddhi and the buddhic plane.(EA 666) . This, does not represent a strong presence of the fourth ray transmitted through Leo. 9. Libra, because of its oscillatory nature, may well have some subtle fourth ray associations—destined to emerge more in other world periods. Venus, too, seems to have the higher more harmonious part of the fourth ray associated with it. But there are no direct fourth ray connections linking these two constellations. 10. Neptune, “God of the Waters”, is associated with the third ray, because “water” is “matter.” “EA 275) 10. See #4 above. 11. Uranus is the veiled hierarchical ruler of Leo, and transmits the seventh ray. 11. Libra is the seventh sign of the zodiac on both the reversed and ordinary wheels and, hence, has numerical affinity with the seventh ray. Uranus, ruling Libra esoterically, transmits the seventh ray. Saturn, ruling hierarchically and exalted, has seventh ray associations, through its rulership of the dense systemic physical plane and cosmic physical plane—being the permanent atom of the latter. (TCF 406). 12. Uranus transmits the first ray monadically. (EPI 421) 12. See #1 above. 13. Uranus is closely associated with the third ray, and may well transmit this ray as its personality ray. “Two of our planets, the Earth (non-sacred) and Uranus (sacred), are directly the product of this third ray activity.” (EA 200) 13. See #4 above. 14. Uranus is part of a second ray transmission from Sirius, via Pisces, and, also, is most probably the mental body within the manifestation of a great second ray Entity. (EPII 99) 14. See #5 above. 15. Uranus is closely related to the fifth ray through its rulership of “exoteric science.” (EA 149) 15. See #2 above. General Qualitative Comparisons, Contrasts and Pragmatic Descriptors
General Qualitative Comparisons, Contrasts
and Pragmatic Descriptors
Leo In Comparison With Libra 1. The One 1. The Two 2. The Divine Will 2. The Divine Mind 3. The Solar Logos 3. The Lords of Karma 4. Sirius 4. The Pleiades 5. Solar Fire 5. Fire-by-Friction 6. The King of Shamballa—Sanat Kumara 6. The Spirit of Peace 7. The Kingdom of the Soul 7. The Kingdom of Shamballa 8. The Solar Angels 8. The Triple Flowers 9. The Self 9. The Other, or the Self and Other 10. The Loner 10. The Partners 11. The Executive Branch of Government 11. The Legislative Branch of Government 12. Monarchy 12. Democracy 13. Autocracy 13. Consensual Government 14. The Monarch 14. The Consort 15. The Dictator 15. The Diplomat 16. Leo—the Center of Selfhood: Just as all zodiacal forces meet and cross in Libra, so Leo, too, represents a central point, the omnipresent yet central point where pure selfhood is experienced as isolated from all surrounding, interweaving forces. 16. Libra—the Hub of the Wheel: “the constellation Libra occupies a unique place in the Great Wheel, for it is the energy coming from this constellation which controls what we might call (for lack of a more suitable word) the ‘hub of the wheel.’ This is that point in intermediate space where the twelve zodiacal energies meet and cross.” (EA 183) 17. Leo—the Reversal of the Wheel: “It might then be possible to discover whether the particular life in which a man carries forward the process of reversal may not perhaps be one in which the sun is in Leo, with Libra rising.” (EA 183). Lower Leo must become ‘higher’ Leo. 17. Libra—the Reversal of the Wheel: “Libra, therefore, controls the ‘moment of reversal of the wheel’ in the life of every aspirant, for there comes a moment in the cycle of lives wherein a point of balance is reached and a relative equilibrium is attained, and over this event Libra presides.” (EA 183) Libra is the mediator between ‘lower’ Leo and ‘higher’ Leo. 18. Leo (Virgo)—the “God-man” (EA 230) 18. Libra—“wherein the point of balance is eventually reached between spiritual man and personal man.” (EA 230) 19. Leo—as a Sign of Crisis: “Leo.—The Crisis of Individualisation. This shows itself in two stages as: a. Diffused inchoate power; b. Personality integration. It signifies the emergence of personality and preparation for the Christ experience. It is self-consciousness and the lower synthesis.” (EA 265) 19. Libra—as a Sign of Crisis: “Libra—The Crisis of Balance. The emergence of the sense of self-direction and equilibrium. It is the point of equilibrium between soul and form. It signifies the emergence of free choice. It is consciousness of duality and the effort to balance the two.” (EA 265) 20. Leo (with Libra and Capricorn) in a Father-Aspect Triangle: “Constitute the triangle of the father or will aspect; they mark points of attainment, through crisis met and triumphant achievement.” (EA 266) 20. Libra (with Leo and Capricorn) in a Father-Aspect Triangle: “Constitute the triangle of the father or will aspect; they mark points of attainment, through crisis met and triumphant achievement.” (EA 266) 21. The Role of Leo when Dominant within the Triangle of Crisis: “Leo, when dominating the triangle, produced in the past the crisis of individualisation. Later in human history, when the point of balance was reached, Leo was again potent.” (EA 487) 21. The Role of Libra when Dominant within the Triangle of Crisis: “H.P.B. pointed out that there came a time when the balance was reached between spirit and matter and from that time on the tendency of humanity was towards evolution out of matter and not involution into matter; humanity turned towards the Path of Return and not the Path of Outgoing; this has become increasingly apparent.” (EA 487) 22. Leo—the Astral Permanent Atom in Relation to “the subjective quaternary of the reincarnating soul”: “Leo—is connected with the astral permanent atom, for the reason that desire or the power to go forth and occultly touch that which is desired is the basis of all sense of awareness or responsiveness and the underlying cause of progress or evolutionary movement forward; it is the keynote of the man who has achieved that true ‘self-centred’ attitude which makes him an individual. Later, as responsiveness grows and the world of small affairs is converted into the world of ever larger values and reality, the desires change into aspiration and finally into spiritual will, purpose and intent. (EA 302) 22. Libra—the Mental Unit in Relation to “the subjective quaternary of the reincarnating soul”: “Libra—is related to the mental unit and, as we saw when studying the sign Libra, produces eventually a balance between the pairs of opposites. This is brought about upon the astral plane. It is the attainment of this balance which produces the reversal of the mode of passing around the zodiacal wheel and it takes place when integration has occurred, and the man is focussed upon the mental plane. He can, then, through right use of the mind, discriminate between the pairs of opposites and find the narrow razor-edged path which passes between them and keep his balance upon it.” (EA 302) 23. Leo: the Love-Wisdom of the soul 23. Libra: “the will-to-order and balanced judgment” (DN 85) 24. Leo—for Undeveloped Man: “The lower self. The hidden point.” (EA 332) 24. Libra—for the Undeveloped Man: “Unbalanced fiery passion. Human love.” (EA 333) 25. Leo—for Advanced Man: “The Higher Self. The revealing point.”(EA 332) 25. Libra—for the Advanced Man: “The weighing of the opposites. Devotion and aspiration.” (EA 333) 26. Leo—for the Disciple/Initiate: “The One Self. The relinquished point” (EA 332) 26. Libra—for the Disciple/Initiate: “Balance attained. Divine love. Understanding.” (EA 333) 27. Yearly Opportunity in Relation to Leo: When the Sun is in Leo the disciple may seek to integrate his personality more fully, strengthen the individual note he sounds, and achieve spiritual positivity with respect to the lunar nature. 27. Yearly Opportunity in Relation to Libra: When the Sun is in Libra, an individual may cultivate proportional action and response, and both balance and equilibrium within his own energy system, as well as between his energy system and the environment in which it expresses. 28. The life of the Christ from the Leonian perspective: “This is the sign of self-conscious identity. This is testified to by Christ in the words He spoke to His disciples: ‘What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his soul?’ or his own centre of self-consciousness—that significant point of attainment which must precede all the more inclusive states of consciousness.” (EA566) 28. The Life of the Christ from a Libran Perspective: “Christ stood at the point of balance in human evolution; He stood between the old world and the new, between the East and the West. In the Christian era comes a ‘point of balance’ or that ‘crisis of equilibrium’ in the human kingdom. (EA 567) 29. Monistic 29. Dualistic 30. Centralized 30. Relational 31. Isolated Unity: “Isolated unity is connected with the mental plane, is governed by the fifth Ray of Concrete Knowledge or Science, and is a reflection of the will-to-know.” “Isolated unity is the consummation of the Aryan consciousness.” “Isolated unity describes the stage which the Master has reached;…” (DINA I 717-718) 31. The attainment of Shamballic Awareness—the resolution of the dualism experienced through Consciousness into the realization of Life. 32. Isolated Identity: “Isolated identity is connected with the astral plane, is governed by the sixth Ray of Devotion or Idealistic Sensitivity and is a reflection—distorted and unstable—of the will-to-love.” “Isolated identity is related to the Atlantean consciousness, from the angle of the higher correspondence.” “…isolated identity (with the soul) is that of the disciple up to and including the third initiation.”(DINA I 717-718) 32. Unitive mutuality within the soul-field realized through contemplation and pursued under the Law of Magnetic Impulse. 33. Isolated Individuality: “Isolated individuality is connected with expression upon the physical plane, is governed by the third Ray of Active Intelligence, and is a reflection—again distorted and unsure—of the will-to-be.” “…isolated individuality is that [the stage] of the disciple;…” (DINA I 717-718) 33. Harmonious relationship among those still identified with the personal consciousness. 34. The Self as Law 34. The rule of Law—all being equal before the Law 35. The individual stands alone 35. The beginning of the group—as two make the smallest group. 36. Individualism 36. Conditioned by society, by precedent and manners. 37. Originality, expressing one’s own essence 37. Some degree of conventionality; modifying the expression of essence to meet certain social standards 38. Egotism 38. Altruism 39. Inconsiderateness—seeing only the self 39. Considerateness—seeing and respecting others 40. The dominant personality 40. The relationship (and eventual marriage) between soul and personality 41. Subjectivity—too close to oneself to see 41. Objectivity—standing back from one’s own perspective, and entertaining the perspective of others 42. Capable of seeing principally its own point of view 42. Capable of seeing the opposite point of view 43. The spirit of isolation 43. The spirit of collaboration 44. Self-knowledge 44. Lost in the other 45. Firmness and Decision 45. Indecision 46. Dictatorial 46. The spirit of compromise 47. Aggressive 47. Peace-making 48. Integrity 48. Compromising integrity in the effort to please or ingratiate 49. Capable of great independence 49. The dependence upon partnership 50. At times anti-social through egotism 50. Having social graces Similarities and Points of Cooperation Between the Influences
Similarities and Points of Cooperation
Between the Zodiacal Influences
These two signs, though again greatly dissimilar, are collaborators especially in the process of the 1st initiation. (I can see that where the points of similarities are not such as to be easily described, the points of collaboration must be described.)
For the 1st initiation is the balance point which represents the turning of the wheel conditioned by Libra and the 5th petal of the egoic lotus will be unfolding in that general period of time and thus it is that those taking the 1st initiation, are said to frequently have either the Sun in Leo with Libra rising or the Sun in Libra with Leo rising.
It seems that whether a sign relates to the Sun or the rising sign, it can be equally effective in accomplishing certain unfoldments within the character. (VS note: ref in EA, is page 184) only saying Leo Sun, Libra Rising, however, other citations refer to the first initiation and Leo as Sun or Rising. Believe this is discussed in cosmocycles 1 ? @yahoogroups.com)-
Also at this 1st initiation, both the 3rd Ray and 7th Ray are extremely important as is of course, the heart center because the heart center is unfolded in a new way, Christ is born within the heart.
From a certain perspective both of these signs can be seen relating to the heart center, Leo has natural rulership over the heart with its own rulership by the Sun on all three levels and Libra is the middle sign and the heart is said to be the balance. Much is made of the idea of the heart as a balance center in the Agni Yoga books.
Also with the heart as the middle center, the middle sign would naturally correlate and the path of material values and spiritual values can be measured at the heart. The person of good heart is one who has turned towards unitive spiritual values. The person whose heart is not quite in the right place may be still pursuing exclusively material and personal values. Interestingly, the heart can be considered the seat of desire and a heart of darkness is possible.
With regard to the 3rd Ray and the 7th Ray, these are found frequently at the time of the 1st initiation, as even is the 7th Ray mind. Libra brings in much of the 3rd Ray and 7th Rays. 3rd Ray through its transmission of the 3rd Ray through the sign and its hierarchical rulership by Saturn and 7th Ray through its rulership by Uranus esoterically which conveys the 3rd Ray and the fact that Libra is also the 7th sign.
The exaltation of Saturn in Libra also brings through powerful 3rd Ray, so the Rays of Libra very much re-enforce the Rays that are found at the time of the first initiation. (Let's find those references in Esoteric Astrology about the first initiation, also pge 470 and 474 or 770 and 774, I think in the Rays and the Initiations give the 7th Ray mind and the 7th Ray physical nature at that period.) Leo too, conveys the 7th Ray but less conspicuously through its veiled rulership by Uranus with the Sun veiling.
Also Jupiter a powerful 7th Ray planet, not only 2nd Ray, has been associated with the exoteric Sun. These two signs are certainly collaborators.
From another interesting point of view, they can both be seen as rulers of the atmic plane. The atmic plane is peculiar inasmuch as it is a powerful repository of 3rd Ray energy but also 1st Ray energy.
So wherever spiritual will is found greatly in evidence, it is possible to begin either with Aries or with Leo, numbering down. In the first case Aries would rule the Atmic plane, Taurus the buddhic, Gemini the manasic plane of divine mind which certainly fits. From another perspective Leo would rule the atmic plane, Virgo the plane of buddhi with its Neptunian and Jupiterian rulership and the Rays conveyed through Virgo are 2 and 6 and Ray 4 through Mercury - certainly a possibility.
Let us not forget as found in Cosmic Fire (reference?) that the Pleiades convey buddhi through the solar angel and the Pleiades are most aligned with the constellation Virgo, even though are found within the constellation Taurus and then Libra would rule the atmic plane and with its powerful 3rd Ray rulership and association with Saturn, Uranus and even the mind of Venus (for its exoteric rulership it is an appropriate placement).
Clearly the hierarchy known as the Triads under the rulership of Libra, have much to do with the plane of divine mind but from another perspective, with Leo ruling the logoic plane and Virgo the plane of the monad which is certainly justifiable, Libra would be found ruling the atmic plane and considering the atmic plane as a plane of logoic mind as well as will, it is appropriately associated with Libra and with Saturn and with Uranus again.
So we see that both Leo and Libra double on this important plane, the plane of atma.
They certainly hold in common, a co-rulership by Uranus although Uranus will function very differently as the hierarchical ruler veiled in Leo and the esoteric ruler in Libra. The impact, I think, will be far more 7th Ray in Libra and having to do with re-organization and re-vitalization of the social contract and with Leo much more the assertion of the spirit, the monadic aspect. Nevertheless, a certain re-structuring potential is common to both signs through the Uranian rulership.
Many more similarities between the signs could be found and perhaps should be in a more exhaustive or detailed examination if we would consider the decanate rulers of each of the signs for the possibility of cross-overs would be great indeed. Think of how two people who know each other relate. The people are very different let us suppose but they have a number of points in common which make for an adequate or even productive and satisfying relationship.
Certainly in any real group relationship, people do not just have one or two points in common, if they are to work together they are to share a number of points and thus it is with the zodiacal signs who are committed in group formation to an important piece of cosmic work.
Each of these signs can be related through the factor of luminosity, especially when considering their exoteric rulers, the Sun in Leo and Venus in Libra and each of them represent a powerful growth of soul influence but in Leo it leads on to soul domination when the higher self is considered in relation to the sub-dominant aspect which rules the lower self, the lunar self, and in Libra this growing power of the soul leads to equilibrization and not domination.
They also share an association with mentality for Libra distributes the 3rd Ray and Leo the 5th Ray and the Sun in general, always stands for consciousness and mentality. The Sun of Mind represented by the Sun is the true thinker, in a sense the true manasic aspect.
From one point of view, manas and love are equivalent especially when thinking about the various sunflowers found in our Cosmos which are both suns of mind and suns of love.
So Leo being the fifth sign also conveying the 5th Ray, is also closely related to manas, and Libra with its exoteric rulership by 5th Ray Venus, also ties in with the luminosity of manas.
From one perspective, Virgo can be considered materialistic and concerned totally with the form and Libra represents a turning point in which the powers of Venus (luminous powers) and the transformational powers of Uranus, both in relation to soul potency, begin to gain if not an upper hand, at least sufficient energy to create a balance between soul and personality - between consciousness and the matter aspect.
So I think it could be safely said that both signs, Leo and Libra strengthen higher manas, ie the mind as found on the higher three sub-planes of the mental plane.
Also they may have much to do with the personality consciousness (certainly Leo does) and the personality consciousness can reasonably be said to focus on the 4th sub-plane of the mental plane.
Personality, after all is the 4th unit representing a synthesis of all lunar vehicles into a 4th or great lunar vehicle but it stops short of focusing upon the abstract levels of the mental plane.
Libra again, being the middle most sign, will naturally have a resonance with the middle most of the seven sub-planes and hence will be related to personality consciousness as it attempts to evaluate the possibility of choosing the materialistic path of self-aggrandizement or the higher path of unity and selflessness .
The 4th sub-plane of the mental plane then is a decision point which will determine the spirituality or the materiality of the integrated personality. Again an integrated personality under Leo, is one that has brought its many factors into a degree of harmony and balance which is ruled by the sign Libra.
At every decision point within the constitution of man, the sign Libra will show up even at such a high point as the 6th initiation wherein a great and determining decision of direction is made. For that decision is ruled by the 3rd Ray and is certainly the decision of a high initiate, so the hierarchical ruler of Libra would apply. The initiation itself is called, "Decision", so everything points to the association of Libra with that initiation and Leo with the initiation immediately preceding that of mastership.
So getting back to the factor of mind, especially the concrete mind, both Leo with its 5th Rays, constellationally and through Venus and Libra with its 5th Ray rulership by its exoteric ruler Venus, would be associated with the strengthening of that manasic factor. With respect to higher mind itself, Libra has more to do with what has been called "super-mind" though not quite the universal mind of Aquarius.
Nevertheless, it is hard to disassociate Leo from the egoic lotus which is found upon the higher three sub-planes of the mental plane which itself is the realm of abstract mind and perhaps at the 3rd initiation and afterwards, with the egoic lotus focussing upon the atomic sub-plane of the systemic mental plane, the abstract potential of the egoic lotus ruled by Leo , can be equated with the Libran rulership of the abstract mind in general.
It is curious how many hard-line Rays can be found in connection with Libra and perhaps a number of soft-line rays through the triple rulership by the Sun and the veiled rulership of Neptune esoterically in connection with Leo but there is clearly a Ray 2 component to both of these signs otherwise they could not be equated with the heart and when it is said that the initiate in Libra achieves divine love and divine balance, these are strongly Ray 2 characteristics. How is this possible?
As I may have said elsewhere, every entity must have at least three major Rays connected with the three periodic vehicles and in this world period. Perhaps not all of those Rays are emphasized, so a number of constellations seem to be distributing only one Ray for the purposes of emphasis.
This may be valuable but for the purposes of completeness. It is more than likely inaccurate and Libra with its essential duality and its emphasis upon magnetism and making one of two through the process of union, certainly seems to carry a powerful 2nd Ray just as its numerical position among the signs, gives it a close relation to the number 7.
So if one were to ask which was a more living sign, Aries or its polar opposite, the fact that Libra is the polar opposite of Aries puts it in the position of number 2 because Aries is always number 1 and its power to resolve the dualities not simply through intelligence, but through love and union, closely associates it with the number two. Leo's constant association with the heart, which is the seat of love, brings in a self-evident association with the number 2 and hence the numerological equivalence between these two signs surrounding the number 2.
Leo is also said to be the most human of the signs and in Libra, enters that kind of refinement which changes the man from unrefined, animal, Martian, lunar appetites to more refined solar appetites. In a very strange way the Sun not only sets at Libra but it rises in Libra, at least metaphorically so because from the beginning of Libra and on through Pisces when the signs are considered in the most spiritual aspect, the solar values are followed - the group conscious values.
Of course the Sun can represent the symbol of the individual and isolation but it also represents the symbol of the higher self which is group conscious.
So everything turns in two directions simultaneously, the Sun not only rises at Aries, it can be considered to set, for consciousness is plunged into matter as form again is sought and the seed of spirit is dropped into the earth of individualism until at length, group consciousness is reclaimed and the greater whole is realised beginning with the Libran signs, i.e., those signs which begin with Libra and proceed through Pisces.